Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You know, like, for realsies.
badge
Vaughn had always been a good student, but now it seemed as though he mastered his lessons too quickly.
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I just noticed the immediate previous session report mentioned playing in five turns. I find it amusing that these are back-to-back, but I had no idea it was here before I came to share. I just thought this was a crazy game that the community would find amusing.

The Set-up

I really had nothing going for me, but a bunch of dis-jointed, generally useful cards. My starting hand was Old Earth, Interstellar Bank, Colony Ship, a 2-cost Blue production, and Space Marines.

First turn

I went with Explore +5 and Develop, while my opponent double-explored. I picked up XXXXXXXXXX and developed the Bank, while he developed Space Marines.

Second turn

I went with Explore +1+1 while my opponent double-explored (I later found out he was searching for military stuff and didn't have that great a starting hand).

On my explore I picked up Expedition Force and a 1-cost Brown military windfall, so I decided to play Expedition Force, in hopes of piggy-backing off a Settle next turn.

Third turn

I double-develop while my opponent double-explores. I get Public Works off his explore, and then Investment Credits off of my develop draw from the Bank. This changes entirely what I was planning to play for the turn, but I decide it would be really fun. So I lay down Public Works, and then lay down Investment Credits on my second develop. My opponent has been passing on my develop phases.

Fourth turn (where it hits the fan)

I double-develop again and he double-settles. In my Public works bonus last turn I picked up Terraforming Robots, and then in the first develop phase I draw Improved Logistics. With a bunch of low-cost planets in my hand, I figure out that I can essentially play everything out right now. So in my first develop I drop the Terraforming Robots, and the second I drop Improved Logistics.

Then on his first settle, I drop a military 1-cost and that 2-cost production blue for two cards, and draw my bonus off the Robots. I then lay down a 1-cost Alien planet and a 3-cost 1-cost blue production for most of the rest of my hand. The card I held onto was New Economy, and after the settle bonus I now have two cards.

So to recap... I have 11 cards in my tableau after having just laid down 6 cards this turn. My opponent has 4 cards laid down and it pretty mad at me at this point.

Final turn

I Explore +1+1 and Develop, which gives me just enough cards to get out the New Economy to finish the game. My opponent settled something but I can't remember.

-------

Final score was 26 to 9.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done! thumbsup

I assume that Old Earth was your homeworld and not in your starting hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Vaughn had always been a good student, but now it seemed as though he mastered his lessons too quickly.
mbmbmbmbmb
radicalizard wrote:
I assume that Old Earth was your homeworld and not in your starting hand?

Yep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn 0: handsize: 4
Turn 1: E+5, Dev (Bank), handsize: 4 + 1 - 2 = 3
Turn 2: E+1, Dev (EF), handsize: 3 + 2 (+1 -1) = 5
Turn 3: E, Dev(PW)/Dev(IC), handsize: 5 + 1 (+1 -1) (+1 -1 +1) = 7
Turn 4a: Dev(TW)/Dev(IL), handsize: 7 (+1 -2 +1) (+1 -2 +1) = 7
Turn 4b: Set(brown mil wf)/IL-Set(2-cost blue prod), handsize: 7 (-1 +1) (-3 +1) = 5
Turn 4c: Set(1-cost alien)/Set(3-cost blue prod)...

I'm not sure what that 1-cost Alien is supposed to be... Deserted Alien World? Because then hand size doesn't add up: if it's DAW the handisze will be 5 (-2 +1) (-4 +1) which works out to 1 card after drawing Settle bonus? It might be Alien Booby Trap, but it's unusual to be placing so many base-game cards when using all expansions up to Brink of War...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Dollman
South Africa
Clarens
Free State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You laid down 4 worlds? I thought a settle action only allowed one world to be placed per settle. Have I missed a rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizard
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lexxparadox wrote:
You laid down 4 worlds? I thought a settle action only allowed one world to be placed per settle. Have I missed a rule?

You're missing this card:

It's from Race for the Galaxy: The Gathering Storm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin Dollman
South Africa
Clarens
Free State
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, that would be it That expansion is in the mail. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NtNScissors wrote:
I'm not sure what that 1-cost Alien is supposed to be... Deserted Alien World? Because then hand size doesn't add up: if it's DAW the handisze will be 5 (-2 +1) (-4 +1) which works out to 1 card after drawing Settle bonus?

Yeah, it was deserted Alien World. And you're right, the costs don't match up. I think it must have been a 1-cost Blue production, like Artist Colony.

Sorry about that everyone. We played two more games after this one and I was wracking my brain trying to remember exactly what happened. But it must have been a 1-cost blue because that's the only way the costs make sense.

NtNScissors wrote:
It might be Alien Booby Trap, but it's unusual to be placing so many base-game cards when using all expansions up to Brink of War...

Yeah, we only play with the first expansion. I don't really like the rest of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Link
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
Yeah, we only play with the first expansion. I don't really like the rest of them.

Give it time and a few plays, you will come around to Brink of War, and not go back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my favorite part of this is how you used Old Earth...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Long
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theright555J wrote:
radynski wrote:

Give it time and a few plays, you will come around to Brink of War, and not go back.

Have you read my comments on them? I really don't like all the fiddly crap that they continued to add to this game through their increasingly unnecessary and complicating expansions.

I played with Rebel vs. Imperium as soon as it came out, and stuck with it the entire time, but it always felt like military was overpowered and all the tracking cubes were just a waste of my time. Then Brink of War came out and we played with it for about a month and I realized that I didn't enjoy the game anymore. It had collapsed under it's own weight and wasn't fun anymore. That's when I went back to the first expansion only.

Stunna wrote:

Yeah, I really had almost nothing going for me. My other starting world was Doomed World, and I thought that at least Old Earth was versatile. I really thought I'd be running a trade strategy, and then I started getting all the Dev strategy stuff I could want. And then, of course, was the turn where I realized I could settle four cards and the game would be over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NtN Scissors
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
radynski wrote:
Stunna wrote:

Yeah, I really had almost nothing going for me. My other starting world was Doomed World, and I thought that at least Old Earth was versatile. I really thought I'd be running a trade strategy, and then I started getting all the Dev strategy stuff I could want. And then, of course, was the turn where I realized I could settle four cards and the game would be over.

It uses the best part of Old Earth well, I thought - that little hexagon with the number '2' inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
radynski wrote:
Final score was 26 to 9.

Frankly, I lol'd at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.