Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played our first game and really enjoyed it! It's completely unlike any other game that I have which is a definite plus for my group. We're constantly looking for games with new and interesting mechanics.

We had a couple of things that we wanted to verify. Writing them down would probably have been a good idea but here's what I can remember:

1. Let's say you have a dragon and an orc in the mountain pass and an archer and a trebuchet in the green space adjacent to the pass. The archer has received the Blessing aid. When the enemies are advanced, is it correct to assume that you can move the dragon in, kill it with the blessed archer, and then move the orc in and also kill it with the archer? The trebuchet is not required to participate?

2. When using the royal guard, all enemies are destroyed in battles and there are no friendly losses?

3. Is there any way for a unit to move from one siege to another, or is this only possible by abandoning entirely and losing a unit?

4. Upgrade buildings can only be placed on a space that is all tan or light green and tan according the the rules. If so, why is there one space that is tan/orange? If only the Fraternal buildings can go there, couldn't it just be an orange space?

5. Anyone else get light blue knights instead of white? Not that it really matters, we figured out what the light blue pieces were by process of elimination.

Those are the ones I remember.

I ended up winning the game with 35. And now I leave you with a picture of the game in progress.

(The knights look white here, but trust me, they are baby blue!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Karstens
United States
Nevada
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
seqiro wrote:
Just played our first game and really enjoyed it! It's completely unlike any other game that I have which is a definite plus for my group. We're constantly looking for games with new and interesting mechanics.

We had a couple of things that we wanted to verify. Writing them down would probably have been a good idea but here's what I can remember:

1. Let's say you have a dragon and an orc in the mountain pass and an archer and a trebuchet in the green space adjacent to the pass. The archer has received the Blessing aid. When the enemies are advanced, is it correct to assume that you can move the dragon in, kill it with the blessed archer, and then move the orc in and also kill it with the archer? The trebuchet is not required to participate?

CWK-> That is correct.

seqiro wrote:
2. When using the royal guard, all enemies are destroyed in battles and there are no friendly losses?

CWK-> False. The Royal Guard allows all Friendly Units to kill any kind of Enemy Unit it contacts but you still lose the Friendly Unit if the Enemy Unit kills that type of Friendly Unit. Basically, for that turn, it allows Knights to kill dragons, Archers to kill Battering Rams and Trebuchets to kill any Enemy Unit. It still kills one for one unless you have that specific type of Upgrade Building. For example, having two carpenters will allow a Trebuchet with an activated Royal Guard to kill two Dragons and an Orc if they move into the Trebuchet at the same time.

seqiro wrote:
3. Is there any way for a unit to move from one siege to another, or is this only possible by abandoning entirely and losing a unit?

CWK-> You can move a partial group of a siege, but you will still lose one unit for retreating.

seqiro wrote:
4. Upgrade buildings can only be placed on a space that is all tan or light green and tan according the the rules. If so, why is there one space that is tan/orange? If only the Fraternal buildings can go there, couldn't it just be an orange space?

CWK-> Upgrade Buildings can be built on the tan/orange space.

seqiro wrote:
5. Anyone else get light blue knights instead of white? Not that it really matters, we figured out what the light blue pieces were by process of elimination.

CWK-> I have a feeling I have a slight color-blindness to light blue as they look off-white to me which was the purpose. The original white was too shiny so we toned them down a bit. I guess too much. That was not a key color change, just one we did while fixing the Red/Green and Yellow/Blue shades.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Beasi
United States
Easthampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers!

As for the knights, it could be the lighting were in, hard to say. It certainly makes no difference as they are obviously different from all of the other pieces.

Looking forward to my next play. It'll be coming with me to my regular Wednesday game night and if I have friends over Saturday night it'll likely see play then, too.

Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3dragonfly wrote:
seqiro wrote:

CWK-> You can move a partial group of a siege, but you will still lose one unit for retreating.

If I move one or more units off a siege that were not required to complete the siege (i.e. extra units), is that still considered retreating, so I'd lose one of those units that I moved?

Thematically, it seems like units not contributing to the siege should not be considered "retreating". They are at the emeny stronghold's location, but are not actively fighting the stronghold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seqiro wrote:
Thanks for the answers!

As for the knights, it could be the lighting were in, hard to say. It certainly makes no difference as they are obviously different from all of the other pieces.

Looking forward to my next play. It'll be coming with me to my regular Wednesday game night and if I have friends over Saturday night it'll likely see play then, too.

Great game!

My knights have a hint of baby blue in them too, at least under incandecent (sp?) light. They definitely stand out from the other colors. I think the cube colors are very easy to tell apart, but I'll have my r/g color blind friend check them out next weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CW Karstens
United States
Nevada
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
3dragonfly wrote:
seqiro wrote:

If I move one or more units off a siege that were not required to complete the siege (i.e. extra units), is that still considered retreating, so I'd lose one of those units that I moved?

Thematically, it seems like units not contributing to the siege should not be considered "retreating". They are at the emeny stronghold's location, but are not actively fighting the stronghold.

The theme idea is that all troops are in fact fighting in the siege, those that fill in the cube positions are the casualties, the ones who will be shown as dying when the siege finally completes. To leave a siege (in partial or completely) either causes losses from turning their backs or have some soldiers who tire of the siege and return home (disband).

For game mechanics, if there is no loss when moving off of an ongoing siege, play-testers found sniping another player's siege is too easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.