Dominant Species» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dominance Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Newman
United States
California
flag msg tools
If the mammals place a hex that is not touching any elements and places one species on that tile, does he get dominance or is the presence of an element required?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zwiers
Netherlands
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, since the mammals have a Dominance factor of zero, which is equal to all other animals, my guess would be that you dont have dominance!

In retrospect however, when placing a tile you're also placing an element on that tile, which means there is no chance of placing a tile somewhere AND it being empty of elements.

There might be other ways in which tiles get rid of their elements though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristof Bodric
Serbia
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
And the ranger's aim was deadly with the big iron on his hip...
mbmbmbmbmb
Although 1 mammal cube could survive on such a hex due to the mammal's special ability, there would be no dominance for anyone, including the mammal. In order to have dominance, an animal must have at least one cube on a tile and more matching elements than any other animal, which in the case of zero elements, no one can have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Newman
United States
California
flag msg tools
He placed a tile next to the side of a tile that had no elements on the touching side and then he chose not to place an element on it. Since he was the mammals, one cube is allowed to survive even if he has no matching elements. That way he eliminated the possibility of anyone else surviving on the tile. This was done as one of the last moves of the game so no one had the possibility to add an element. The player believed that when counting up dominance in the end game that the tile in question should be scored - I disagree. Dominance in my opinion is based on elements on your animal card that match the tile. If nothing matches, there is no dominance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Maylott
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZenDog wrote:
He placed a tile next to the side of a tile that had no elements on the touching side and then he chose not to place an element on it. Since he was the mammals, one cube is allowed to survive even if he has no matching elements. That way he eliminated the possibility of anyone else surviving on the tile. This was done as one of the last moves of the game so no one had the possibility to add an element. The player believed that when counting up dominance in the end game that the tile in question should be scored - I disagree. Dominance in my opinion is based on elements on your animal card that match the tile. If nothing matches, there is no dominance.

You are correct. On page 7 the second paragraph under Dominance states that Endangered animals can not claim dominance even if they are the only animal in the hex.

So an animal must match at least one element to be considered a contender for dominance. It only becomes dominant if it strictly matches more elements than everyone else in that hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Newman
United States
California
flag msg tools
psmaylott wrote:
ZenDog wrote:

You are correct. On page 7 the second paragraph under Dominance states that Endangered animals can not claim dominance even if they are the only animal in the hex.

So an animal must match at least one element to be considered a contender for dominance. It only becomes dominant if it strictly matches more elements than everyone else in that hex.

His argument was that he was not endangered since his special power was 1 cube that normally would be endangered is not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ability is not to make one endangered species non-endangered.

It is still endangered, but he can just save one endangered species.

so in that case because endangered species can't have dominance, he doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jones
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless I am mistaken, you do not have to place an element when using the Wanderlust action if you choose not to.

Ok, I looked up the rule I refered to and it's on Page 14 under Wanderlust #2.
Also in reference to your situation, the mammal would not get a Dominance marker for the tile, so no bonus VPs when scoring the Ice Age card; BUT they would score VPs for the tile in the final scoring (i.e. score every tile on earth). If they were the only species on that tile, then they would get top value for the tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ZenDog wrote:
psmaylott wrote:
ZenDog wrote:

His argument was that he was not endangered since his special power was 1 cube that normally would be endangered is not.

Yes but he is endangered and there is nothing that says the cube does not remain so. If he were not endangered his special ability would not be required. The ability allows cube survival rather than a change in its status from not dominant to dominant or endangered to unendangered.

I would agree that he can score the tile though as Dominance or the state of survival is not required for that. It could still be a very smart move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ZenDog wrote:
If the mammals place a hex that is not touching any elements and places one species on that tile, does he get dominance or is the presence of an element required?

The presence of an element is required for dominance. Dominance is calculated by elements, so the lack of any precludes him from dominance, even though he may still score points for the tile through a dominance action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.