Puerto Rico» Forums » General

Subject: How the heck are you supposed to put it away?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ludwig Beethoven
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
So the game comes with five smaller slots, one big slot, and four bags. How are you supposed to use that to logically put away all the colonists, doubloons, victory points, goods, production buildings, violet buildings, plantations, ships, and role cards? None of the slots are appropriately sized for the cards. Am I just missing something obvious or is this game pretty much impossible to put away neatly so that the cards don't all get mixed together?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Doofoo wrote:
So the game comes with five smaller slots, one big slot, and four bags. How are you supposed to use that to logically put away all the colonists, doubloons, victory points, goods, production buildings, violet buildings, plantations, ships, and role cards? None of the slots are appropriately sized for the cards. Am I just missing something obvious or is this game pretty much impossible to put away neatly so that the cards don't all get mixed together?

Put everything in baggies and throw the insert away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why we all throw away our inserts, and either divide and bag everything, or divide and put everything in a plano container. Trying to fit things in inserts is an unnecessary headache, especially when you store gameboxes vertically and it all falls out of the insert anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of tiles that might slide over to another slot. As suggested, getting bags for game components is a must in this hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why throw the insert away? You can bag everything and still stash 'em in the slots easily enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What's wrong with the insert?

No baggies
1 slot for VP's
1 slot for doubloons
1 slot for colonists
1 slot for plantations
1 slot for goods
The large slot for everything else, such as buildings and ships. They are easily separated but you can use a bag for, say, the buildings if you want.
The boards and rule book on the top of the insert. Close lid

This is one of the few games I have where the insert actually does what it is supposed to do. It is easy throwing the bits back in the relevant slot at the end.

Using plano boxes is good too but I don't need it for this game but others may prefer it.

I'm wondering from some of the answers if the insert has changed in the last few years, it is far from useless and a lot better than fiddly bags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plano box for the bits, baggie for the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
amerynth

Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've managed to fit everything with the insert (including the expansion pieces too.)

My colonists and goods are bagged (separately).
All of the building tiles are together in the middle slot (it's tight with with expansion buildings, but they just fit there.)
The doubloons, plantations, Veep chips are each in their own slots and the last slot has all the rectangular tiles (ships, trading market, role cards.)

I wouldn't shake it around upside down but it all fits in there okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Kriener
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put away the colonists, VPs, 8-ship/7-ship & 1 Goldsucher each needed for 4 players & 5 players in a separate bag; thus I have the material ready when I set up the game for 3 players, the 4th & the 5th player - saves a lot of time when setting up a game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludwig Beethoven
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the responses - I'll mess around with it tonight and I think I'll definitely add some more bags!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
There is definitely no need to throw the insert out. But if you are going to store it on it's side you probably want to baggie everything. It works as good, if not better than most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Chris, baggies in the insert work fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald Monkey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can anybody recommend a cheap supply of bags in the UK? I got like 3 bags with PR and it's a nightmare to put away

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a very good way to store Puerto Rico. It's easier to set up and set down. You have to LABEL them.

Bag 1
"5th player"
20 colonists
22 VPs

Bag 2
"4th player"
20 colonists
25 VPs

Bag 3
"3 players"
Further points

Bag 4
"3 players"
Further colonists

If you will play with 3, game is ready. You don't need to count pieces, just use Bag 3 and Bag 4, leaving 1 and 2 in the box. If there is a 4th player, just get the Bag 2. You don't need to count pieces again.

After playing (for example, in 4 players), just get first the "4th player" bag and put 20 colonists and 25 VPs. It's written right in the bag. Every other colonists and VPs go to Bag 3 and 4.

I use also a Bag 5:

2 tiles corn
3 tiles indigo
8 tiles quarry
5 colonists (use 3-5)

This is for a quick setup. You give 2 tiles corn to the last 2 players, then the indigos for other players (with less than 5 players, some indigos go to mix with other plantations). Then you have to use only 3, 4 or 5 colonists from this bag, according the number of players, putting them on the ship. The other ones are left in the bag, in the box.

This is tested. It's quick to set up and set down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Kriener
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
You give 2 tiles corn to the last 2 players, then the indigos for other players (with less than 5 players, some indigos go to mix with other plantations).

This is not correct:
With 3 players, players #1 & #2 get Indigo plantations; player #3 (only!) gets a Corn plantation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.