$10.00
Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » General

Subject: Free Mini-Expansion: The Beggars gives Trojan alert when using Avast rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Wisniewski
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Find me on Twitter @bgg_geraldkw
mbmbmbmbmb
I was paranoid about an outside link to files anyway. When my virus blocker stopped me from going to the site, my paranoia was confirmed. I am not sure how to notify someone to take it down. Please assist if you know what to do.

But see below. Make your own decision on how to proceed. If this is a Javascript related issue as I realize now, it could just be a misinterpretation of the scripts on the page causing the problem. Or not. I see the owner has replied to this thread, which makes me less suspicious, although sometimes viruses sneak onto web pages despite their owners' best efforts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Free Mini-Expansion: The Beggars IS A TROJAN HORSE(VIRUS) website do not click the link
I seriously doubt that. What is more likely is that you are experiencing a false positive. I went to the website and i'm pretty sure it's legitimate. Most websites that are trying to infect you with a virus are pretty damn obvious, I would bet you money this is not one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Wisniewski
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Free Mini-Expansion: The Beggars IS A TROJAN HORSE(VIRUS) website do not click the link
jasoncarlough wrote:
I seriously doubt that. What is more likely is that you are experiencing a false positive. I went to the website and i'm pretty sure it's legitimate. Most websites that are trying to infect you with a virus are pretty damn obvious, I would bet you money this is not one.

I certainly understand that false positives are out there. I have switched anti-virus software multiple times and even quit using it at times due to lots of false positives.

Besides the virus scanner, it also fits the profile of a potential phishing scam that this user has two posts and both of them are to post the link in question, and is otherwise a new user.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no proof that the site is not harboring viruses. I'm just saying that the site is not typical of virus harboring sites (there aren't even any banner ads). On top of that none of my security software was triggered (Immunet, MS Security Essentials and Google Chrome).

While I could be wrong I just think it's a little alarmist to make a thread like this based soley on what your AV software is telling you. In addition the files hosted on the site seem legit to me and they look like a lot of work was put in to them. It's possible that the site got hijacked at some point maybe but it seems fine now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Wisniewski
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Free Mini-Expansion: The Beggars may be a A TROJAN HORSE(VIRUS) website be cautious
jasoncarlough wrote:
I have no proof that the site is not harboring viruses. I'm just saying that the site is not typical of virus harboring sites (there aren't even any banner ads). On top of that none of my security software was triggered (Immunet, MS Security Essentials and Google Chrome).

While I could be wrong I just thing it's a little alarmist to make a thread like this based soley on what your AV software is telling you. In addition the files hosted on the site seem legit to me and they look like a lot of work was put in to them. It's possible that the site got hijacked at some point maybe but it seems fine now.

I have changed the title of my post to give the benefit of the doubt. I wish the user would have uploaded the file to the files section here instead of just posting a link, but it could be an ownership issue with the files...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Fernandez Calvo
Spain
Valladolid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Free Mini-Expansion: The Beggars may be a A TROJAN HORSE(VIRUS) website be cautious
I have a trojan alert too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quick Tator
Germany
flag msg tools
I Have checked my site, and there should be everything o.k. - no virus is detected... What kind of virus scanner you are using...???

So I immediately checked it. The Result is here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avast reports it. The name of the threat is JS:Redirector-MR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quick Tator
Germany
flag msg tools
Can you please check this again??? Is it still there???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked the site this morning and everything was OK here.
I was also able to download both .PDF files of the expansion. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Fernandez Calvo
Spain
Valladolid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can reach here http://www.flippy-life.de/die-bettler-eine-minierweiterung-z... without problem and I can download the files. But the link posted still is reported as dangerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quicknation wrote:
Can you please check this again??? Is it still there???

No. the message is no longer displayed. Seems that the virus or rather "virus" is no longer there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.