Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An alert roll is being made in a mountain hex with a road going through it. Is the foot movement cost for mountain or road used?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was in the third spot I looked for it; Section 4.1, top right of page 8, just under the unit type symbols.

'...the greater cost is charged for the hex.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brent, I'll take a look again when I get home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the section you pointed to. Not definitive, but I agree it provides the best guidance on the topic. Thanks for digging that out for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I figured to ask this question here to keep Alert movement in one spot.
Can a VC unit using alert movement end in an enemy occupied hex (with one of the operating units.
I had 2 VC battalions surrounded (5 hexes had active units - 2 of them were Rangers)and VC were low on Replacements so after the roll (a 1) he dispersed one unit to increase his replacements However due to ZOC and a +2 interdiction he could only move one hex. He wanted to move to a hex occupied by a ranger unit that would take him away from some Arty that needs to be adjacent to use and would help him retreat after combat.

So can the VC move there? (I said yes)

Would he suffer an incidental attack if I want one (before resolving the "real" one - I didn't bother but it might have been better to get another die roll and maybe knock out one of his replacement points)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:
Can a VC unit using alert movement end in an enemy occupied hex (with one of the operating units.
I had 2 VC battalions surrounded (5 hexes had active units - 2 of them were Rangers)and VC were low on Replacements so after the roll (a 1) he dispersed one unit to increase his replacements However due to ZOC and a +2 interdiction he could only move one hex. He wanted to move to a hex occupied by a ranger unit that would take him away from some Arty that needs to be adjacent to use and would help him retreat after combat.

Would he suffer an incidental attack if I want one (before resolving the "real" one - I didn't bother but it might have been better to get another die roll and maybe knock out one of his replacement points)

I think so. Since he would end movement "in the target hex" which follows the target unit.
And there wouldn't be an incidental attack since it is the target hex (that part I'm sure of)
I'm still immersed in the rulebook and not as "expertly knowledgable" as the others in this forum, so I could be TOTALLY wrong on all of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
grinnell1969 wrote:
Dren608 wrote:

I think so. Since he would end movement "in the target hex" which follows the target unit.
And there wouldn't be an incidental attack since it is the target hex (that part I'm sure of)
I'm still immersed in the rulebook and not as "expertly knowledgable" as the others in this forum, so I could be TOTALLY wrong on all of it.

Sounds right to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do not believe the movement rules allow you to enter any enemy occupied hex without being able to leave it in the same movement phase. So you cannot stop in an enemy hex while using alert movement. You can stay put though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aslredbarricades wrote:
I do not believe the movement rules allow you to enter any enemy occupied hex without being able to leave it in the same movement phase. So you cannot stop in an enemy hex while using alert movement. You can stay put though.

I think the target hex part trumps that. There's an exception for target hexes in the movement section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well the rules dont allow you to enter and park yourself in an enemy occupied hex unless it is the target hex. And a hex is not a target hex until a target unit ends its move in a hex. So there is no way to enter the hex according to the movement rules, except to pass all the way through it.

I don't have the rules with me, but I believe that is how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Knight
United States
Westerly
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The other problem that arises if you were to let target units move using alert movement into any hex they wanted, is that they could end in hexes containing Non-operating enemy units. That would cause all sorts of rules questions that are not answered or even addressed in the rules. That is why I believe that the movement rules prevent Units using alert movement from entering and stopping in any occupied Hexes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aslredbarricades wrote:
The other problem that arises if you were to let target units move using alert movement into any hex they wanted, is that they could end in hexes containing Non-operating enemy units. That would cause all sorts of rules questions that are not answered or even addressed in the rules. That is why I believe that the movement rules prevent Units using alert movement from entering and stopping in any occupied Hexes!

This is a good point. That would, indeed, present a sticky situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with Randy on this one. The new target hex(s) is not established until all alert movement is completed. Since the enemy-occupied hex is not a target hex at the moment the VC decides to end alert movement there the exception wouldn't apply. Besides, the 5.1 exception refers to the "phasing player" and is clearly not intended to apply to the defender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, agreed. I've been swayed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Makes my ops a little easier, We are working through the scenarios, on Masher White Wing now and Can't even get close to a win or draw with FWA. I had 7 Victory points half way through the 2nd turn (I managed to catch 3 VC in turn one and in turn 2 the Marines with the 175 and a couple of other units took down a NVA regiment! but he still had enough Stratigic moves to populate too many cultivated hexes(with a couple left over) and I couldn't muster enough Firepower and units to evict them without giving up a capital etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:
...Can a VC unit using alert movement end in an enemy occupied hex (with one of the operating units)?

I have to respectfully disagree with some other answers. My thoughts on this are as follows:

Rule 3 under effects of other units paraphrasing says... A unit entering an enemy hex must be able to leave, except target hex.

I believe this exception is meant to imply that operating units may end movement in a target hex and thus are not bound by this.

In the specific case of Alert movement paraphrasing rule 5.2... After all Alert movement is complete hexes occupied by target units become target hexes.

This tells me that the alerting unit cannot end in an enemy hex regardless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.