Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

One general question, then a more specific question on gameplay. Generally, when it is my turn, why don't I just lay down all the characters/maneuvers/setups at the start of my turn? If I'm exploring, I'll want all the stats at the bottom of the cards so I can't think of any reason to hold maneuvers in my hands (aside from the obvious ones that require me to discard a card from my hand).

Specific question:So I draw 3 ensigns, Diagnostic Check and Starfleet Academy. I play down the engsigns, play SFA, trash an ensign for a lieutenant, and put the LT on the bridge right away. I don't get the XP he brings until next turn, but I do get all the other advantages, yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krista Donnelly
United States
Beltsville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you use SFA, the LT you just upgraded to goes into your discard pile, not on the bridge. Don't forget that you can spend the exp from the ensign as well as upgrading him to the LT.

For the general question, just laying everything down is a valid way of playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not want to reveal your cards before you explore. If you do, and it reveals a war, you have shown all your cards to the other players and they can react accordingly. The "one card at a time" reveal during a war allows you to play your cards tactically, and respond to other players' card plays.

If you are not exploring during a given turn, then there may be no reason to hold the cards. Just lay 'em out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The few cards that let you get additional cards (such as Transporter or Diagnostic Check) may be better spent after you see what you explore ... need extra diplomacy? beam up Picard, need to win a war? use diagnostic check to ditch everything not providing attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind that any card with an effect must trigger that effect when it is played (unless the card specifies otherwise). When you play a Transporter, you must choose who to beam up right then. When you play Warp Speed, you must choose right then whether you want to discard a card to draw one.

Additionally, some cards require you to have cards still in your hand to take full advantage of them. The aforementioned Warp Speed requires you to have a card in hand to use its text, as does System Diagnostic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Siebenthall
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralACF wrote:
Keep in mind that any card with an effect must trigger that effect when it is played (unless the card specifies otherwise). When you play a Transporter, you must choose who to beam up right then. When you play Warp Speed, you must choose right then whether you want to discard a card to draw one.

Additionally, some cards require you to have cards still in your hand to take full advantage of them. The aforementioned Warp Speed requires you to have a card in hand to use its text, as does System Diagnostic.

Good points. Always inspect cards in hand carefully before laying them out to best take advantage of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.