Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Hansa Teutonica is probably one of the best recommendation made in this thread.

The campaign aspect of Descent: The Road to Legend. While Descent itself is fairly tactical, it's separate "meta-game" is a long-run strategy game if i ever saw one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic R
Spain
Tomares (Seville)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Dominion fits the bill quite well. Is a game where the only that matters is the long term strategy as the tactics (i.e . what you do in a specific turn with this 5 specific cards) are usually quite simple, but the point is "what is the best deck I can built with this cards? So the long term objetive (having 10% of this card, 30% of this other and 2 king thrones) is the real objetive. In fact is not unusual you didnt get any VP along the game, except in the last turn, when you really push the deck you have built during all the game, get 50 VP (or more) and win the game. This is true long term planning.

In the other hand, Dominion have luck, as any card game, but not as much as you would think, and always looking to the long term (is you deck is better you could have a couple of bad turns, but overall you you will do best than your ooponnets). And if you play without attack cards is basically a multiplayer solitaire, without almost any interaction between players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Shurig
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The three games that I can recommend for long term planning are Steam, Railways of the World and, especially, Silverton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: Name a few games where long term strategy really plays better.
"Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock!" devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ANDREAS MILIOPOULOS
Greece
KOROPI
ATTICA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also add Railways of the World
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knolzus
Germany
flag msg tools
I think what you seek is Constantinopolis. In this game you can mess a little bit with the others - buy the buildings they need or even it has a little auction - but in generell it is building your seatrade empire and then produce money and VPs as well………
It´s good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter van der Helm
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
coolpapa wrote:
And how about The Princes of Florence for an offbeat answer? Most of the luck comes very early in the game, and its conceivable to plan out your entire strategy from the jump.

I second that recommendation. Many gamers criticize that it doesn't have enough player interaction, but if that's what the OP is looking for, PoF fills the bill.

I would second that recommendation too. I've had lots of fun executing certain strategies in PoF. Often starting the game with a strategy in mind and sticking with it. The player interaction is mostly in the auction and the recruiting of workers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Life

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Princes of the Renaissance

There are more than a few strategies in this Wallace gem, and the game has a lot of period flavor. Player interaction is very prominent, but no one strategy dominates the others; I've seen several strategies win.

For my tastes, strategy games with minimal player interaction can seem too scripted. I know it's frustrating to have one's strategy disrupted by the actions of others, but that's what makes good games IMHO. The best sttrategy game players tend to be those whose play is flexible enough to adjust to the unexpected turns in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In Indonesia, it is best you have a strategy going in, and stick with it as much as possible, or you'll find that you don't have a snowball's chance on winning this beast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like the sort of game I naturally dislike - and have to recommend Princes of Florence as my favourite of the bunch. Dominion is popular, and would seem to fit your requirements too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.