David Webb
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had used ebay to buy some things before, but never on an auction. So I saw a game that would go well with a school club and it was at a low price. I set a price ten bucks higher than the current bid (4 bucks) and no movement occurred for two or three days and I had the high bid. 25 seconds before it closed someone outbid, I hurriedly bid again, they outbid, and before I could raise it it ended. I assume it was some program that did it for someone. I guess I'm just naive, but I'll leave ebay auctions (and ebay for that matter) to the clowns who don't place any bids till their program lets them snipe it away at the last second.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam DiRocco
United States
North Lima
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm a Amateur Extra Class Ham radio Operator -- W8SDD
mbmbmbmbmb
There are lots of programs that do exactly that. You place your highest bid in the program and then tell the program when to place that final bid. I rarely use eBay myself because of this. On the rare occasions that I do use eBay I just set my bid for the highest I am willing to pay for that item and then ignore the auction. I lose about 99% of the auctions. What really pisses my off is that they are all lost be $1 in the last 5 seconds. Just my 2 cents.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
.... what?

That's usually how eBay works...


Just put what you're willing to pay for the item, and no more. If you don't win, then someone wanted it more than you did. If you put the highest amount you would pay for it, then what's the problem if you don't win it?

Are you aware of the eBay auto bid system? You know that they can just set an amount, and as long as you don't bid over that amount it is automatically bid into the system directly after you do.... that's a built in eBay feature.

I see absolutely no problem here, but that's up to you. shake


EDIT: Also, be sure and actually keep an eye on what you're bidding on... if you try to just leave it, you're almost guaranteed to lose. That's just the nature of an auction. People are out to get an item as cheap as possible, so this is to be expected. If you see someone wanting to try and take your item, why don't you just give em a taste of their own medicine? Watch it, and if you see it jump by a dollar, put 10 more on it. If you want it that bad, that is...devil
55 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Olson
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
I avoid snipers and take cover in the BIN.

I don't think I've bought anything from an auction in years. (But Buy it Now can be pretty cool.)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
CrusaderX wrote:

Just put what you're willing to pay for the item, and no more. If you don't win, then someone wanted it more than you did. If you put the highest amount you would pay for it, then what's the problem if you don't win it?


Exactly this. It's how an auction works. Sure, it sucks to lose by $1, but then again, why didn't you just increase your max bid by $1 if that's the price you were willing to pay for it?
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Boyle
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrusaderX wrote:
.... what?

That's usually how eBay works...


Just put what you're willing to pay for the item, and no more. If you don't win, then someone wanted it more than you did. If you put the highest amount you would pay for it, then what's the problem if you don't win it?

Are you aware of the eBay auto bid system? You know that they can just set an amount, and as long as you don't bid over that amount it is automatically bid into the system directly after you do.... that's a built in eBay feature.

I see absolutely no problem here, but that's up to you. shake


EDIT: Also, be sure and actually keep an eye on what you're bidding on... if you try to just leave it, you're almost guaranteed to lose. That's just the nature of an auction. People are out to get an item as cheap as possible, so this is to be expected. If you see someone wanting to try and take your item, why don't you just give em a taste of their own medicine? Watch it, and if you see it jump by a dollar, put 10 more on it. If you want it that bad, that is...devil


Agreed, that's how eBay works.. I do a combination. At the last second I just place what is the highest I a willing to pay for the product. If you let it sit people will just prod it until they hit your max bid...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Boyle
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
CrusaderX wrote:

Just put what you're willing to pay for the item, and no more. If you don't win, then someone wanted it more than you did. If you put the highest amount you would pay for it, then what's the problem if you don't win it?


Exactly this. It's how an auction works. Sure, it sucks to lose by $1, but then again, why didn't you just increase your max bid by $1 if that's the price you were willing to pay for it?


You will always be outbid by only $1 unless multiple people are hitting the item. If you bid above a user it will just sit at $1 above, it's how eBay bid system works.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Trzaskowski

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teleklos wrote:
I set a price ten bucks higher than the current bid (4 bucks) and no movement occurred for two or three days and I had the high bid. 25 seconds before it closed someone outbid, I hurriedly bid again, they outbid, and before I could raise it it ended. I assume it was some program that did it for someone.


1. Apparently you have no idea how ebay auctioning works. Go to http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam... and read it carefully. Particularly this part:

"Incremental bidding

Everyone wants to win, but only at the right price. Although we suggest that you bid the maximum amount that you're willing to pay for an item, you could pay less. As the listing proceeds, we compare your bid to those of other bidders. When you're outbid, we automatically bid on your behalf up to your maximum bid. We increase your bid by increments only as much as necessary to maintain your position as highest bidder."

2. You assume correctly, at this point you have 0.01% chance of winning anything on ebay without any sniping software (unless it's BIN or something really unique that only you're interested in, which is rare).

3. No point in getting offended, just use one of these programs/systems (I recommend gixen.com, you'll catch it in 2 minutes). Whining about it is like whining about the use of email messages for communication, when you're still writing paper letters ("I wanted to contact this person first and send him a letter, but someone emailed him first. I assume it was some program that did it for him").
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said above, I must be naive. I don't want any of it enough to use sniping software. Good luck with your purchases.

I will say that I appreciate the system here and will use it from this point on.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kochamkinie wrote:
[q="Teleklos"]
2. You assume correctly, at this point you have 0.01% chance of winning anything on ebay without any sniping software (unless it's BIN or something really unique that only you're interested in, which is rare).


Huh? There's no need for sniping software. Put in the maximum you're willing to pay. If you put in less than that, you may get sniped, but that's the chance you take. Otherwise, if you lose, it is because someone would pay more than you. Sniping is irrelevant on eBay.

On BGG, on the other hand, sniping could be effective, since there's no way to put in a maximum bid without actually bidding that amount. That's why many auctions have a non specific end time or an extension provision for late bids.

OP, I don't think you understand how eBay works. The sniper put in a higher price than you were willing to pay. They didn't bid twice in the last 25 seconds, they bid once, but with a higher maximum bid than both your original and your second bid. You had two opportunities to put in maximum bid that was higher than the snipers, but they apparently wanted it more. What difference do you think it made whether they bid 25 seconds or 25 hours before the end of the auction?

If you're really complaining that it's hard to find a real bargain on eBay, then you're right.
24 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kochamkinie wrote:

2. You assume correctly, at this point you have 0.01% chance of winning anything on ebay without any sniping software (unless it's BIN or something really unique that only you're interested in, which is rare).


I rather doubt that percentage, unless you absolutely refuse to put in a max bid that is somewhere near what you are actually willing to pay. If your max bid is, say, $50, and a sniper bids at $30, you're going to get the item for $31. If a sniper bids $60, he's going to get it for $51. Simple.

If you want to go hard for prices far below any sort of value, you are going to have to snipe yourself, use a sniping program, or stick with obscure or poorly-listed items.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Rethorn
United States
Perrysburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teleklos wrote:
As I said above, I must be naive. I don't want any of it enough to use sniping software. Good luck with your purchases.

But that's the whole point of eBay: you don't need any sniping software. Just put in your maximum bid, and eBay will do the rest for you.
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There is a way to win every time with Ebay:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
ENTER A BID HIGHER THAN ANYBODY ELSE



Sniping software is very valuable since it takes the emotion out of it and prevents a lot of run up in the price in the days before the close of the auction. But even the best sniping software won't win you anything if the other person has bid more then you.

Ebay is full of great deals to be had, and many of the best deals are in the auctions. The buy it now's are also a great way to pick up a deal when the item is under priced.








8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C-F
msg tools
I've noticed that boardgame auctions always seem to go for what the buy it now prices are anyway. Don't think I've ever seen anybody get a bargain on ebay when it comes to boardgames.

But I might be wrong?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Ashton
Canada
Nepean
Ontario
flag msg tools
writing a book on the Eastern Front
badge
panzermatters.com
mbmbmbmbmb
emperorhand wrote:
Teleklos wrote:
As I said above, I must be naive. I don't want any of it enough to use sniping software. Good luck with your purchases.

But that's the whole point of eBay: you don't need any sniping software. Just put in your maximum bid, and eBay will do the rest for you.

Exactly, but it is better to enter this bid near the end. I treat ebay as a one-bid system. I determine the maximum I'm willing to pay (price history on bgg is helpful), and if I can I wait near the end to enter it, which stops me from bidding again. Today I lost an auction on something (not a game) that I really wanted, but post review I had set my maximum and somebody just wanted it more than I did. Ebay is not a good place for bargain hunting, because for any popular item there are at least 10 buyers that know the resale value of it, and this includes almost all board games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Painterz wrote:
I've noticed that boardgame auctions always seem to go for what the buy it now prices are anyway. Don't think I've ever seen anybody get a bargain on ebay when it comes to boardgames.

But I might be wrong?


I guess it all depends on what you consider to be a bargain. But I have gotten some crazy deals on some great games when very few people have bid against me.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teleklos wrote:
I guess I'm just naive


Yes.

Some people just choose their paths without having to tweet to everyone about it.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
System here is fine.. sometimes it has what you want, sometimes it doesn't, much like eBay or any etailer.

Teleklos wrote:
As I said above, I must be naive. I don't want any of it enough to use sniping software. Good luck with your purchases.

I will say that I appreciate the system here and will use it from this point on.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, bitter bidder? It's probably not a "sniping bot"...but the ebay system itself. It will automatically increase bids in increments until it reaches the highest bidder's maximum bid.

No worries though, ebay generally isn't a great place for buying board games because of shipping costs. I've gotten maybe 3, what I would consider, "deals" on there...but most of my games are from CSI/MM. Free shipping ftw!

However, for when it comes to those hard-to-find grail games....
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eBay = no for me
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The eBay system of having you bid the maximum amount you are willing to pay for a game actually a) makes sniping software ineffective, and b) helps ensure that you won't get caught up in the moment and bid more than you should.

It is simple, you look at your finances, determine how much you want the item WHEN YOU ARE LEVELHEADED, and then you see if you won. It helps keep you from continuing to bid up because of the thrill of the competition only to discover that you spent more than you wanted to.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snipe, manually or automatically, that really does not bother me.

But several years ago a guy at work told me that he and his brother would snipe each others auctions if a price did not reach what they wanted, so they would pay eBay the few pennies in the commission and re-list the item, trying to get the right price. If you looked at their auction history, you could see the patterns. Now when I lose a close auction, I always look to see if the same user has purchased a lot of things from them recently, while I know it is possible they just bought six bowling balls from them over the last four days, it still makes me shake my head.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eBay has become much more sophisticated in catching shilling, including immediate case submission by fellow eBayers suspecting such action and patterns.
jocose wrote:
Snipe, manually or automatically, that really does not bother me.

But several years ago a guy at work told me that he and his brother would snipe each others auctions if a price did not reach what they wanted, so they would pay eBay the few pennies in the commission and re-list the item, trying to get the right price. If you looked at their auction history, you could see the patterns. Now when I lose a close auction, I always look to see if the same user has purchased a lot of things from them recently, while I know it is possible they just bought six bowling balls from them over the last four days, it still makes me shake my head.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando Castillo
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it doesn't have a "Buy It Now" option I give it a pass.

Life's too short to get stressed out by Ebay.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
eBay has become much more sophisticated in catching shilling, including immediate case submission by fellow eBayers suspecting such action and patterns.
jocose wrote:
Snipe, manually or automatically, that really does not bother me.

But several years ago a guy at work told me that he and his brother would snipe each others auctions if a price did not reach what they wanted, so they would pay eBay the few pennies in the commission and re-list the item, trying to get the right price. If you looked at their auction history, you could see the patterns. Now when I lose a close auction, I always look to see if the same user has purchased a lot of things from them recently, while I know it is possible they just bought six bowling balls from them over the last four days, it still makes me shake my head.


I will say that I have not looked into reorting it, but two thoughts come to mind, am I a $&@(/?!#^*, if I suspect it and report it. Additionally, how hard does eBay look into checking out if they made $30 from the sale of the same item three or fours times, instead of $5 for one sell.

As stated above, the best advice, set your price and see what happens.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.