Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never use sniping software and have won plenty of auctions on Ebay. Two rules I always follow.

1) Bid the most I'm willing to pay.
2) Bid with only a few seconds left in the auction.

So long as you do this, Ebay is just fine. Bid less than you were willing to pay, and you just end up kicking yourself. Bid too early, and you give others too long to reevaluate what they're willing to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
gversace wrote:
Sniping is irrelevant on eBay.

Only if people act rationally...and no one acts rationally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
I never use sniping software and have won plenty of auctions on Ebay. Two rules I always follow.

Sniping software just lets you be more lazy about it. The ability to group can be awesome too - set up to bid on every auction for a particular item, and when you win one it auto-cancels the rest of the scheduled bids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Teleklos wrote:
I guess I'm just naive, but I'll leave ebay auctions (and ebay for that matter) to the clowns who don't place any bids till their program lets them snipe it away at the last second.

For all your protestations of naivete, you obviously know how the bidding works, since you bid $10 over the minimum and recognized that there was no movement in the price.

Then, someone decided that they wanted to pay more than you did, and you suddenly get bent out of shape and start calling them names. (A wonderful sign of maturity, btw. shake )

Face it. The seller was there to make as much money as possible for their item. They found a buyer who was willing to pay more than you were. Are you suggesting that the seller should take less money because YOU aren't willing to pay more? Seems rather selfish, to me.

If you're that poor of a sport when you lose an auction, how are you when you lose a game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
there were quite a few auctions i was watching ending today, i sniped and lost every one of them, but that's ok, i didn't want to pay more.

if you don't snipe, and just put in your max bid, you might be drawn into a bidding war from the ebay outbid e-mails (at least i might be!), easier to just snipe and if you win you win, kind of like a blind bid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg r
United States
TROY
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have gotten some great deals on E-bay for games but they are few and far in between. I would say 5 great deals on games, and I think all of them war games.

I am also happy to have lost 100's of bids/items because they just went for way more than I was willing to spend, often times going for %15 MORE than what I can get them for new at B&B or coolstuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Clifford Brown & Max Roach at Basin Street || Lee Morgan: Search for the New Land || Art Blakey: Mosaic || Woody Shaw: The Woody Shaw Concert Ensemble
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:

So long as you do this, Ebay is just fine. Bid less than you were willing to pay, and you just end up kicking yourself. Bid too early, and you give others too long to reevaluate what they're willing to pay.

I only do #1, bid the most I'm willing to pay (taking the shipping price into consideration). That amount isn't going to change, and I don't want to be on a schedule to try and post my bids at the last minute.

I've won 5 auctions in the last couple of months, all good deals, all bid at least a day or two before expiration. In four of the five, I won at a price below the maximum bid I had entered. I bid and lost in more auctions than I won, but all those went for more than I was willing to pay. When the higher bids were made makes no difference to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith-Stoe
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've worked for a live auctioneer. While the timed endings of ebay auctions are different than the baseball style endings of live auctions, I would agree that the OP is complaining about losing an item because the auction didn't end when the auctioneer said, "Going twice?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
Teleklos wrote:
As I said above, I must be naive. I don't want any of it enough to use sniping software. Good luck with your purchases.

I will say that I appreciate the system here and will use it from this point on.

Like you, I learned about sniping after posting a similar question here on the geek and got all the same response that you have. Since then, I have made my purchases here and have been pleased with both the marketplace and the user auctions. I didn't delete my ebay account, but I haven't used it either in the last year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're missing the point. Sniping doesn't win auctions. Having the highest bid does.

Bid what you're willing to spend, and if someone out-bids you (whether it was at the last second or not) then congratulations, you didn't over-pay for that item.

What you're experiencing is irrational remorse because you wanted that item. We all have this problem to some extent or another. You want it, so when someone bids a little higher you want to rush and increase your bid. But, if you were willing to go that high, why didn't you bid it earlier? If you weren't willing to go that high when you thought about it rationally, why would it be good if you exceeded your best-judgement value in the heat of the moment?

None of this has anything at all to do with sniping, whether done with software or manually (which went on long before there was software to do it). None of it has to do with eBay either. It's all you and your human nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if i dont use buy it now, i snipe.

the only time i lose an auction is when im not by a computer, or for some reason my phone cant connect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sant
United States
Easton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sniping is how you win against people who

1) don't enter their max bid for whatever reason
2) end up bidding more than their "max bid" when they get outbid

so it has its place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Nguyen
United States
Wallingford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the way ebay is SUPPOSED to work, is that you enter in the maximum amount of money you will pay, period. So for that auction, let's say you would pay $15, not a penny more. You enter in $15 and if someone else beats you, then you lose but that's OK because it would have been more than your max of $15. I think some people get caught up in the rush of the last few seconds of sniping and end up entering in more than what they are happy with, so just avoid it. Put your max bid in early and let it go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Meyer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrorwell wrote:

If you're that poor of a sport when you lose an auction, how are you when you lose a game?

Come on dude be cool, don't personally attack a guy whose biggest fault is that he publicly posted a frustration that we have all doubtlessly felt. I mean, who hasn't lost an ebay auction (or BGG auction) by being sniped and then felt frustrated about it sometime in their life?

Sure, sniping is a fact of auctions (AND, as many people have mentioned "easily remedied by just bidding the max you are willing to pay"), but I think that feeling somewhat disappointed when it looked for days like you were going to win the auction and then you lose it in the last few seconds of the auction isn't so much a character flaw, rather it's just human nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No need to cry about it in public. Its not like someone hacked out his liver and left him in an ice-filled bath-tub, He lost an auction in a manner that happens to everyone on eBay all the time. This is akin to complaining that water is wet.

I lost an auction!!! I'm deleting my account!

Seriously?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Honolulu
HI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My secret is to bid on the crap no one else wants. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Herald
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Teleklos wrote:
I guess I'm just naive, but I'll leave ebay auctions (and ebay for that matter) to the clowns who don't place any bids till their program lets them snipe it away at the last second.

Thank you - one less person to run up the bid unnecessarily before the end of the auction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Snider
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used esnipe and it's pretty cheap and worked great. I haven't tried it in a year or so though. Anyway, I've saved a lot of money on auctions by sniping and it saves me time because I don't have to keep checking on auctions (unless it's fun to see what's up). eBay is a lot different than a live auction where the auction continues while people are still bidding.

I see it as a game. Sniping usually saves you money on eBay auctions. If you bid early it gives away your intentions and others time to outbid you. That's way better for the seller, but not for the bidder if they're trying to save money. Bidding what you're willing to spend like 6 seconds before the end of the auction gives fewer people the chance to outbid you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Any game (except Fireball Island) in my collection is for sale. Please geekmail me with reasonable offers.
badge
Any game (except Fireball Island) in my collection is for sale. Please geekmail me with reasonable offers.
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the game being bid on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Hudoba
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely bid on eBay anymore, but when I do, I base my maximum bid on the potential sum total with shipping included, and make sure said total is lower than what I'd pay for buying a game new in the store (or even online). If I get outbid, then I didn't want it that badly anyway and there is no harm done.

I honestly can't understand why anyone would pay more for a game they could straight-up purchase cheaper elsewhere, unless they are simply getting caught up in the competition and hate to lose. IMO, bidding wars should only really happen for rare and OOP games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
With E-Bay, don't blame auction snipers, blame your deep pockets and short arms. You'd think gamers would have a better attitude to losing.

There again what am I saying?

1/ I'd have beaten you if player 'A' hadn't moved that piece there in round 3.
2/ You only won because I didn't buy that resource when you needed it.
3/ If you'd have explained that rule more clearly, I wouldn't have made that mistake.
4/ I thought money counted as VP's at the end.
5/ But we always play by the variant rules.

Gentlemen, its alot more grown up to look the winner in the eye and say 'Well played'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Taylor
United Kingdom
Cambridge
CAMBS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My only frustrations with Ebay are -
a) being charged to list
b) being charged at auction end
c) being charged when somebody pays through Paypal when they don't already have money in their account? How's that my problem?

Everything else is fair game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Zimmerman
United States
Branson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EBay is designed to - encourage sniping. They want to keep prices low and short the seller. Lower selling prices attract more buyers and allow them to buy more items. EBay then makes more by charging/listing. If they cared about high prices for the seller and a truly fair auction experience they would simply add 5-10 more minutes to each auction for each bid placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Teleklos wrote:
I had used ebay to buy some things before, but never on an auction. So I saw a game that would go well with a school club and it was at a low price. I set a price ten bucks higher than the current bid (4 bucks) and no movement occurred for two or three days and I had the high bid. 25 seconds before it closed someone outbid, I hurriedly bid again, they outbid, and before I could raise it it ended. I assume it was some program that did it for someone. I guess I'm just naive, but I'll leave ebay auctions (and ebay for that matter) to the clowns who don't place any bids till their program lets them snipe it away at the last second.

I don't do ebay auctions anymore exactly due to the same experiences and frustrations as you. (I only rarely ever did anyway.) I just don't want to mess with sniping software and that seems to be the only way to do it these days.

If you are looking to get games for a school club, I would recommend BGG marketplace. I have had much more satisfactory experiences there, and you can even bargain on the price if you want to try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chindent wrote:
I honestly can't understand why anyone would pay more for a game they could straight-up purchase cheaper elsewhere.

Amen. And yet I constantly see used games for sale or for auction here on BGG which are about or above the price of a brand new game (with shipping taken into account). It's so frustrating. And people BUY them! Hey, you guys are ruining the market for the rest of us who want a rational system where used stuff costs less than new stuff!

I understand paying a premium for things that are OOP and in demand, but if I can buy a brand new copy for $32 then your used copy had better be significantly less than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.