Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hall
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got back in to wargaming in the past year and a favorite subject matter of mine is carrier warfare. In the past I have played Flat Top, C.V.and Carrier Battles, and I'm wondering how the contemporary designs, say from 2000 on, stack up to designs from the 70's and 80's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Durango
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flat Top and CV remain near the top of my wargame list, certainly the best I've played on the subject. Not knowing off the top of my head what other WWII Carrier games have been published (if any) in the last decade I can't comment directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm somewhat partial to Carrier Battles over Flat Top. It is more complex but a better historical model but on the same sort of thing. Just not often mentioned in these lists in which Flat Top comes up.

Have a look for sure and see if you might like this one. Probably the best out there for detail.

If you want a quarter of the complexity but only about 20% less history, Victory at Midway or the rarer Solomon Sea are certainly worth trying to find.

I'd recommend all three of these over Flat Top/CV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bolo75
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Victory at Midwaythumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb

The Geeklist below, while somewhat dated (2005), may provide some insights as you look for input.

Scratch one flat top! Games covering tactical and strategic carrier combat .

For my money, I enjoy Victory Games' Carrier. Although a solitaire game, it does a great job of depicting WW2 carrier battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bolo75
United States
Stone Mountain
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:

For my money, I enjoy Victory Games' Carrier. Although a solitaire game, it does a great job of depicting WW2 carrier battles.

Solid recommendation as well!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:

The Geeklist below, while somewhat dated (2005), may provide some insights as you look for input.

Scratch one flat top! Games covering tactical and strategic carrier combat .

Yes, I also highly recommend Scratch on Flat Top and its co-series game, Incredible Victory.

I also liked Carrier if you like operational issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory at Midway and Scratch one Flat Top would be my 1st two.

-M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vance
United States
Augusta
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The Fires of Midway is a lot of fun, too. It's not nearly as complex as wargames of the 80s and back, and is quite evocative and original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

One used copy for $175... gonna have to be REALLY good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hawkins
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No love for AP's Second World War at Sea: Midway and its brethren? Not great, but pretty dang good.

Flat Top...such a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man or Astroman wrote:
Quote:

Definitely an out-of-print classic, worth chasing down a cheaper used copy. Another game in a similar vein worth considering is Tokyo Express.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Pushing a lesbian old growth union-approved agenda since '94.
mbmbmbmbmb
Guadalcanal is a nice quick one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Man or Astroman wrote:
Quote:

I chased it a couple of years ago on EBAY before I gave up and decided it was probably too much game for me (in terms of complexity and cost), but I'll tell you that if you are patient (about 3-6 months patient), you can probably land a copy for about $100 (USD).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's with the prices in the past few years? I got mine about 1.5 years ago for $80 (unpunched) and at the time I thought it was pretty darn expensive. Isn't there a world recession going on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
What's with the prices in the past few years? I got mine about 1.5 years ago for $80 (unpunched) and at the time I thought it was pretty darn expensive. Isn't there a world recession going on?

No, there isn't but Grand Illusion: Mirage of Glory, 1914 going on.laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also great fan of Victory at Midway. But it's from 1992.

I don't know any post 2000 carrier games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kaufmann
Germany
Kaufungen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I remember, there haven't been any new carrier games in the 2000s except for the excellent & rare "Solomon Sea".

"The Fires of Midway" is quite nice for a game or two, but it is no real simulation like the other games.

Try "Victory at Midway" - it's not that difficult to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although the Second World War at Sea (SWWAS) system is over 10 years old , there is the recent Second World War at Sea: Coral Sea . I dont have that but I do own Second World War at Sea: SOPAC which is the same theatre and good fun. Again I dont own it but it is very much on my wish list , Coral Sea: Campaign Commander Volume II looks a very interesting operational game with a unique combat system. Does not contain detailed carrier rules by the look of it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Stumptner
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Well, I can think of a recent carrier game - Coral Sea Solitaire. Unfortunately it is truly terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
M St wrote:
Well, I can think of a recent carrier game - Coral Sea Solitaire. Unfortunately it is truly terrible.

After FIXING the ERRATA COUNTERS... (Yes you heard that right), its playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Crosfield
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it is an entire theatre scale, I do like Pacific Victory. Has blocks for carriers and their presence is felt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Stumptner
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Nothing against PV (I think it works fine for what it does), but that doesn't make it a carrier game. It's simply a strategic Pacific game. In fact it treats the carriers more abstract than most.

Garfink wrote:
M St wrote:

After FIXING the ERRATA COUNTERS... (Yes you heard that right), its playable.

I was already accounting for that. It's still terrible. A carrier game where the ships, once spotted, never go out of sight... where the bombers have longer range than the recon planes... where ships need to refuel every night, but do so between midnight and 2am... and that's just the start. The game is completely bizarre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Back to the OP, Victory Games' Carrier is definitely one to consider as others have noted.

Watch eBay, copies can be had for $35-$55 which is on par with new games.

I would also second Scratch One Flat Top as a distant second choice.

Sadly though, the game you're looking for really hasn't been made yet in board game form.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hiske
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grouchy wrote:
The Fires of Midway is a lot of fun, too. It's not nearly as complex as wargames of the 80s and back, and is quite evocative and original.

I agree with Steve as this is one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.