$10.00
Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Virgin Queen» Forums » Rules

Subject: Paris VP, Ottoman Piracy, Rebellions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Przemek
Poland
Rzeszow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules I have few questions.

Paris VP

23.4 The French power has the ability to earn special VP just by maintaining political control and religious influence over the Paris space.
25.3 says nothing about religious influence.

So does it matter if Paris is under Protestant or Catholic religious influence to gain VP? Or only political control counts?

Ottoman Piracy

16.4 In addition, if the Ottoman power has corsairs in a sea zone, he may initiate piracy against an active major power even if the two powers are not At War.
Is that correct the Ottomans make their Piracy attempts while inactive? Does it cost them any CPs or is it free?

Rebellions

Rebellion Procedure Step 4 says that spaces may also be switched to Protestant political control if they are both under Protestant religious influence and free of Catholic units.
Do any catholic units count or only that of the Power controling the space like in step 2 of this procedure?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
chaltura wrote:

Paris VP

23.4 The French power has the ability to earn special VP just by maintaining political control and religious influence over the Paris space.
25.3 says nothing about religious influence.

So does it matter if Paris is under Protestant or Catholic religious influence to gain VP? Or only political control counts?


Religious affiliation (apparently) do not matter. In 23.4, the reference to religious influence should probably be ignored.

chaltura wrote:
Ottoman Piracy

16.4 In addition, if the Ottoman power has corsairs in a sea zone, he may initiate piracy against an active major power even if the two powers are not At War.
Is that correct the Ottomans make their Piracy attempts while inactive? Does it cost them any CPs or is it free?


The "active major power" part refers to less-than-six-player games where the HRE can be an inactive major power. If that is the case, the Ottoman corsairs are not allowed to pirate the HRE.

chaltura wrote:
Rebellions

Rebellion Procedure Step 4 says that spaces may also be switched to Protestant political control if they are both under Protestant religious influence and free of Catholic units.
Do any catholic units count or only that of the Power controling the space like in step 2 of this procedure?


Any Catholic unit counts. See the beginning of 18.5 for an exhaustive list.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
chaltura wrote:
23.4 The French power has the ability to earn special VP just by maintaining political control and religious influence over the Paris space.


This is outside the scope of strict games rules but I'm going to say that anything other than Catholic control of Paris is impossible. The Parisian population was, had been, and would be violently anti-protestant throughout this era.

In game terms this would moot 'extra' victory points. Nullifying Guise/Catholic League influence would be a good thing for the Royal forces - - which, under Henry III, were not identified with Protestantism. Henry IV famously converted to Catholicism; the Edict of Nantes in no way gave Protestants control over Paris.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
Religious affiliation of Paris mattered in a previous version of the rules, obviously not all mentions of it were removed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gringer
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catmando is quite correct that the population was virulently pro-Catholic. However in game terms I have seen it flip in a revolt in my one playtest game. Maybe the chance of it flipping is more to keep the possible alive in game terms, akin to the Catholic paranoia leading up St Bart's massacre. I also agree that Henri III would likely have been pleased to pare down the Catholic zealotry and keep the Guises under control, so he wouldn't mind so much if the city drifted into protestantism.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Medievalbanquet
United States
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The "active major power" part refers to less-than-six-player games where the HRE can be an inactive major power. If that is the case, the Ottoman corsairs are not allowed to pirate the HRE.


For clarity, corsairs cant pirate against Allied powers either, correct?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
They can, Dragut carried plausible deniability...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.