$10.00
Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Alien Frontiers» Forums » General

Subject: How big is the problem REALLY? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Genesyx
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First to clear things on, I've never played the game before, and don't really have the choice of "play before pay". I do however have experienced similarly compared games such as Troyes and Stone Age, and have enjoyed them (Troyes for its dice mechanism, SA for the action blocking)

I've been thinking of buying the game for some time now, but as time passed by I see a lot of people stating how it's overhyped and doesn't fulfill their expectation and etc, and how king-making/ leader bashing/AP is a major problem in this game. Some even regard this as a political game, where the winner is often the player who convinced others to NOT attack him.

My question is, how serious is this king-making and leader bashing in the game? I'm asking this because I've played several games that people claim to have similar problems with, but found it quite tolerable myself (Cyclades and Small World comes into mind ).

Is it also possible for a leading player to maintain such a position that, even accounting the screwage the others throw at him, would still able to win (with some luck + good planning) ?

Thanks in advance for all the help given that will help me decide whether I'll be getting the game or not



p/s: Not sure if this will affect anything, but most of my games would be between 2/3 players, and rarely would I be able to play with 4 or more.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Have you tried playing on Vassal? Perhaps, you may even want to watch a session or two to get a feel for the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that game a lot, but kingmaking is a problem.

There will be an expansion set which introduces hidden goals for the players, so I assume that the mentioned problem will become less substantial. Although it will still be here.

AF is not really a game of long-term planning; make the best out of your dice rolls and cards in your current situation is the key IMHO. Others with more playings than me may have different opinions, though. I rated the game "9" (Always want to play it).

Hope that helps a little meeple
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
All glory to the Hypnotoad!
mbmbmbmbmb
Never encountered AP with my group. People with AP have it for all games, not just this one. I fly through my turns but I play pretty quick across the board. I did think 4-player took a little bit too long but that shouldn't be an issue for you. 2/3 is better in my opinion.

I don't think we've run into a "political" side of it but because the scores are obvious (until the expansion introduces hidden agendas) you can bet there will be leader bashing. Whether or not that leads to king making is a game-by-game issue.

I have noticed some runaway leader issues on occasion in 2-player games. It's a dice based game so you will run into streaks which are just exacerbated in a 2-player game.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genesyx
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I didn't expect to get reply THIS fast .


hara wrote:
Have you tried playing on Vassal? Perhaps, you may even want to watch a session or two to get a feel for the game.


I've heard of Vassal, but never got to know how it works. Maybe it's time to give it a try
From where can I watch these session of games?

PzVIE wrote:
I like that game a lot, but kingmaking is a problem.

There will be an expansion set which introduces hidden goals for the players, so I assume that the mentioned problem will become less substantial. Although it will still be here.

AF is not really a game of long-term planning; make the best out of your dice rolls and cards in your current situation is the key IMHO. Others with more playings than me may have different opinions, though. I rated the game "9" (Always want to play it).

Hope that helps a little meeple


Yeah I'm aware that the Faction expansion will be coming soon, but I'm not quite sure if I'll get a game's expansion if I can't tolerate the base game itself

On a side note, has any of your game came down to the leader in points WINNING the game? A common complain I see is that the leader will be bashed out of the winning range more often than not, leaving the 2nd/3rd to jump for the win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:
On a side note, has any of your game came down to the leader in points WINNING the game? A common complain I see is that the leader will be bashed out of the winning range more often than not, leaving the 2nd/3rd to jump for the win.

Sorry, can't remember exactly, but every member of my game group evaluates the board and the scores very thoroughly before he takes action. The scores are often very tight, so there is not always a 'true' leader. I remember a situation when one of the guys had the option to let me win or another player.
He decided against me soblue
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Blountville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the biggest problem with me was how long it took to decide on a course of action after your dice are collected and rolled.

This was mitigated when I brought in a second set of dice.

After your turn is over, you roll enough dice as you have current ships behind a shield so only you can see them.

This way, each player knows what their next dice rolls will be and can kind of plan ahead.

At the start of the players turn, the player collects the dice from the board, sets them to the side, and reveals the previous turn's dice rolls.

It seems a lot of the downtime problem is removed.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:
On a side note, has any of your game came down to the leader in points WINNING the game? A common complain I see is that the leader will be bashed out of the winning range more often than not, leaving the 2nd/3rd to jump for the win.


Yes, the leader has definitely won many times ( have about 30 games under my belt)! Just because there is some leader bashing doesn't mean you can always bash them. I do prefer playing with the interstellar council fan expansion as it adds a bit more depth and it makes it a bit harder to tell who is in the best position to win.

My preferred method is a coup de grace where you place two or three colonies to end it in one turn before people even realize you might win.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genesyx
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
genesyx wrote:
On a side note, has any of your game came down to the leader in points WINNING the game? A common complain I see is that the leader will be bashed out of the winning range more often than not, leaving the 2nd/3rd to jump for the win.

Sorry, can't remember exactly, but every member of my game group evaluates the board and the scores very thoroughly before he takes action. The scores are often very tight, so there is not always a 'true' leader. I remember a situation when one of the guys had the option to let me win or another player.
He decided against me soblue



well at least the scores are tight. I imagined that the game would turn out to be like 9-3-3-5 in score, and everyone would start bashing the 9 down to a 3 or so
Thanks!

Sayburr wrote:
I found the biggest problem with me was how long it took to decide on a course of action after your dice are collected and rolled.

This was mitigated when I brought in a second set of dice.

After your turn is over, you roll enough dice as you have current ships behind a shield so only you can see them.

This way, each player knows what their next dice rolls will be and can kind of plan ahead.

At the start of the players turn, the player collects the dice from the board, sets them to the side, and reveals the previous turn's dice rolls.

It seems a lot of the downtime problem is removed.


while I never really bothered much about the downtime (If I'm to buy this game and introduce it to my group,I'll make sure to say this is NOT Agricola/Power Grid ), thanks for the suggested to help reduce it. Finally a use for all those extra dice I have from Summoner Wars/monopoly (....) /other random dice I happen to found lying around
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
With four players, I prefer to play in teams. Speeds up down time and removes kingmaking problem.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/747871/alliance-variant-...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pomeroy
United States
Chester Springs
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three problems are commonly discussed with this game: kingmaking, bash the leader, and analysis paralysis.

The kingmaking and leader-bashing criticisms are closely linked and arise as a result of the open scoring (everyone knows everyones point totals and they tend to be close near the end game) and the immediate game end condition of one player establishing his final colony. Typically one or two players will be in striking distance colony wise and as a result the serious point jockeying phase of the game opens up. With a group of experienced players the points leader(s) will be hammered until someone makes a power move slapping down their final colony and edging the rest of the players out on points. If you enjoy in-your-face conflict the end game is great fun. If you prefer a game where you quietly build a resource engine and race to victory, then maybe not so much. I consider kingmaking a minor issue only where an inexperienced player stumbles during this phase. Once all the players understand the game dynamics kingmaking is a non-issue. Alien Frontiers is very similar to Cyclades in this respect, so if you enjoy one I thinks odds are very good you will enjoy the other.

The one legitimate gripe about this game is the AP factor. The main issues are (1) you can't anticipate which dice you are going to roll, (2) the guy who took his turn before you has in all likelihood gotten in the way of what you wanted to do most, and (3) you probab;ly still have several decent options, especially if you have a few cards in play. This is one of those games where you really cannot figure out what to do on your turn until it is your turn. This is exacerbated in the end game when you are trying to figure out how to (1) advance your position, (2) ding the leader, and (3) prevent some other player for dropping his final colony before you can take the lead in points. If you play with AP prone gamers, and they make you crazy, you are going to lose sanity points. Which is why I prefer Alien Frontiers as a three person game. I plan to purchase the expansion, but I can't imagine playing with five players.

Anyhoo - GREAT GAME and if you enjoy both Troyes and Cyclades, Alien Frontiers is a must buy.

Peace!
13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rjpomeroy wrote:
I plan to purchase the expansion, but I can't imagine playing with five players.

I can't imagine it either...well, actually, I did play test it with 5 and 6 players, so I guess I can imagine it, but I try to block it out and I take no responsibility for your state of mind, or the medical bills, afterwards.



Seriously, though, AF is a perfect storm for players with AP tendencies.

The extra set of dice solution proposed by Sayburr could work, but presents potential problems too. While you're scanning your hidden dice you're missing what's happening on the board. Someone could make a beautiful combo that escapes you. Also, when some other player lands a colony on Burroughs Desert and repossesses your Relic Ship...or discards a plasma cannon to pop one of your ships...what do you do about those already-rolled dice behind your screen?

I don't have any sure-fire solutions, but I won't shy away from it's known issues, either.



Have you tried a rental service like BoardgameExchange?

They have Alien Frontiers.
http://boardgameexchange.com/product/info/95/Alien-Frontiers...

and Caylus
http://boardgameexchange.com/product/info/343/Caylus.php

and Stone Age
http://boardgameexchange.com/product/info/229/Stone-Age.php

Try them all out and see which one you like best.

12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
The extra set of dice solution proposed by Sayburr could work, but presents potential problems too. While you're scanning your hidden dice you're missing what's happening on the board. Someone could make a beautiful combo that escapes you. Also, when some other player lands a colony on Burroughs Desert and repossesses your Relic Ship...or discards a plasma cannon to pop one of your ships...what do you do about those already-rolled dice behind your screen?


I had thought about that, and I don't think it's too big of a deal. If someone repossesses your Relic Ship, then you lose the Relic Ship with whatever number is rolled on it. If you lose a ship for another reason (Plasma Cannon discard is the only way I can think of), then take the die that was destroyed and roll it. Then remove a die from behind your screen with the number that you rolled. If you have no die with that number on it, then roll again until you do. It does lengthen the process for destroying a ship with the Plasma Cannon, but that's going to happen what, like once or twice a game?

I think that the solution of rolling your dice secretly at the end of your turn is only really feasible with a second copy of the game, but since 3 different people in my game group kickstarted the expansion at the $85 level, it's not a problem for us.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Freels
Australia
Rooty Hill (Sydney)
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
rjpomeroy wrote:
I plan to purchase the expansion, but I can't imagine playing with five players.

I can't imagine it either...well, actually, I did play test it with 5 and 6 players, so I guess I can imagine it, but I try to block it out and I take no responsibility for your state of mind, or the medical bills, afterwards.


We play with 5 players and it works very well and in a reasonable amount of time.

What you do is play with 5 colonies per player rather than 6. That reduction of one colony makes a difference in game time, and it still makes the game interesting because:

Where you invest your colonies becomes more important.
Moving/Swapping colonies and Force Field placement happens much more.
The +1VP for holding the Alien City/Monument becomes much stronger!

----------------

Here comes my opinion on the game (get out your salt):

I have been playing and developing games for 40 years now. Alien Frontiers is one of my favorite games of all time. I recently had a heart attack, and was playing Alien Frontiers while recovering in the hospital room.

I plan to write a hairy-long strategy guide for AF sometime in the future, and I have a Faction strategy pro/con evaluation that I plan to post once the Faction set is officially released.

There you go...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xelto G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Kingmaking is a problem with the game. The worse problem, in our opinion, was that there is a forced gang-up-on-the-leader/king of the hill mechanic, which means that victory usually goes to the person who was able to be king at the final moment, rather than the person who played the best.

It was bad enough that we created a variant to address the issue:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/681902/xenia-scoring-system
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
Jordan
Madaba-Manja
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game this felt most like to me was Catan.

If you've played you will know how it feels to be at 8-9 points trying to scrounge out the victory. Everyone robs you, fences you in, stops trading with you.

AF is similar because the game is so low scoring (12 points or so will win). However, since the game ends when someone builds a 6th colony, there is a fixed ending. When you near #6, people will take notice. Expect to have resources stolen, cards stolen, crucial stations blocked, etc. The game will really slow down for the leader when she/he gets close.

If you find this to be a challenge (it can be difficult to find a way to win), go for it. If you find this frustrating (me), avoid the game. I found Troyes to be much more enjoyable, in no small part to the way scoring (and the end-game) works.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with really cutthroat players (mainly my family and new players) so my experiences may not be relevant to your situation but I found the leader bashing an enjoyable part of the game. I mean the game involves a lot of dice rolling and therefore a fair amount of luck so I think mechanisms that help players who rolled poorly early on to catch up keep the game from feeling like just a dicefest. It also gives you something to do on other players' turns, which can seem long, by cajoling and bargaining.

I do think the problem could be worse in four player games. One opponent can't hurt you too much, two can pull you back easily but still leave you with options. Three players stealing your resources and bonuses and cards will leave you feeling like a pinata.

As far as kingmaking it seems like that would be an issue in any interactive game. I didn't notice it being any better or worse here.

Certainly a player can jump out to an early lead and then ride that wave to victory. If you manage to build a ship each of your first three turns you should have a comfortable advantage for several rounds.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GodfatherPTS wrote:
.If you find this to be a challenge (it can be difficult to find a way to win), go for it. If you find this frustrating (me), avoid the game. I found Troyes to be much more enjoyable, in no small part to the way scoring (and the end-game) works.

As one of my BGG friends is fond of saying, Alien Frontiers is not a game for CareBears. AF is a competitive race to tame a new world before your opponents can get their own colonies dirt-side. It's not a game of medieval merchants and bookkeeping ledgers. Gamers who dislike direct aggression among players and between-turns politicking are not going to like AF, and that's fine. No one is going to like every game they play.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genesyx
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies guys, it's nice to see how many responses i get from different people, including David himself

anyway after researching more and looking through all the responses, I got a clearer view on the game's "flaws" (as said by some of the users on BBG)

- AP proneness (especially in the endgame )
- King making might sometimes occur
- leader bashing draw the end game too long (worse with more players)
- no matter how much you can plan for it,luck's still your god in this game
- too cutthroat? (considering it's IMO leaning towards the euro genre)

And due to such problems, I guess I'll give Alien Frontiers a pass. Thanks for everyone who chipped in for me to make the hard decision, it really gave me a clear view on the game and helped me finally settle this...







Bahhh who am I kidding? I'm definitely getting the game!

The leader bashing worried me the most, as I imagined that it was easy for the leader to be bashed into the last or 2nd last place easily without any possible way of winning. Now I think that it's not really a problem. Sure the leader will be bashed, but as soon as he drops down (which I assume in a 4 player game would only take 1~2 players intervention), the new leader is the new target. The only way of REALLY winning is either secure a major force such that even after the bashing session you'd still have enough to push back, or to pull out a really awesome move from under everyone's nose (maybe 3 colonies in a turn?). Both of this tells me that although winning is hard, it would be satisfaction in it, and I enjoy that alot laugh

As for king making...well,I guess just don't be too much of a b*tch to someone and such that he would going out of his way to pull you down, and you'll be fine Plus I imagined that if all players are experienced in the game (and hence making the scores very close), everyone would still have a winning chance and hence won't really sacrifice himself so that you will lose...right?


Either way thank you all for pushing me off the fence on this game, and helping me solve my 6-months-long-to-get-or-not-to-get question! Now should I get eminent domain or core world with this space game?hmm......
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
ASL ... yes, this is my Desert Island Game. If I have to give up all my 3000+ games and only allowed to keep one, this would be it. This bloody game stood the test of time. Around for more than 25 years - simply the best.
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:
Bahhh who am I kidding? I'm definitely getting the game!

No game is perfect, and I'm sure you'll enjoy AF!

I do, and I look forward to the expansion I backed on Kickstarter - I guess they will improve the game!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest & Ryan Driskel
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
genesyx wrote:

Either way thank you all for pushing me off the fence on this game, and helping me solve my 6-months-long-to-get-or-not-to-get question! Now should I get eminent domain or core world with this space game?hmm......


Haven't tried core worlds yet, but as someone who loves Alien Frontiers and Eclipse, thinks Dominion is OK, I thought Eminent Domain was a yawner.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Stefan Feld games are balanced and mathematically elegant while being obtuse, emotionally detached, and mechically inelegant. The most overrated designer of modern games. The King of JASE.
mbmbmbmbmb
CleverMojo wrote:
GodfatherPTS wrote:
.If you find this to be a challenge (it can be difficult to find a way to win), go for it. If you find this frustrating (me), avoid the game. I found Troyes to be much more enjoyable, in no small part to the way scoring (and the end-game) works.

As one of my BGG friends is fond of saying, Alien Frontiers is not a game for CareBears. AF is a competitive race to tame a new world before your opponents can get their own colonies dirt-side. It's not a game of medieval merchants and bookkeeping ledgers. Gamers who dislike direct aggression among players and between-turns politicking are not going to like AF, and that's fine. No one is going to like every game they play.



I really dislike comments like this. You're basically criticizing people for having a different pov by labeling them.

Disliking bash the leader and/or kingmaking is not the same as disliking aggression. I own, play and love and many games with aggression and confrontation. Many of them are far more confrontational than AF. My beef with AF isn't because it's confrontational.

I still own AF. Not sure how much longer that will be the case.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Briarcliff Manor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think "kingmaking" or "kingbashing" are really the correct terms to use when discussing Alien Frontiers.

It's a game where the score is plainly visible. So, of course, the other players are going to try and hold the leader back. However, in many of our games, one of the not-leaders is trying to game the rest of the table into taking out the leader so they can score big on their turn and win the game.

You have to ask yourself, "is hurting player A going to give an advantage to me or to player B?"

Constantly.

Also, the "leader" is frequently just someone who's *currently* in the lead. Alien Frontiers can have VERY swingy turns. Players score one point for each colony on the board AND another point for each zone they have a majority in. If you, during your turn, place a colony to tie for majority in a zone the other player loses a point while you gain a point. They also lose the special ability tied to that region.

Late in the game, it's not uncommon for a player to be able to make MASSIVE changes to the board during their turn. Losing majority in two or even three zones in a single turn is not uncommon -- and that can represent a big change in points on the board. Even moreso if the field which awards an additional point is involved in the "transaction".

It's one of those games where some folks play the board and others play the table. More often than not, it's the player playing the table that's going to do well. Smart card purchases can enable a player to do pretty much whatever they want during a turn. Combine that with smart play over several turns and you can really see some crazy stuff.

The best part, to me, is a win in Alien Frontiers never feels unearned. If you played smart and you won, that's a great feeling. If you played smart and you *almost* won . . . that can be a great feeling too, though agonizing when you realize, "just one more turn and I could have done it!"

It's a great game. Definitely a good addition to any collection.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanish wrote:
genesyx wrote:

Either way thank you all for pushing me off the fence on this game, and helping me solve my 6-months-long-to-get-or-not-to-get question! Now should I get eminent domain or core world with this space game?hmm......


Haven't tried core worlds yet, but as someone who loves Alien Frontiers and Eclipse, thinks Dominion is OK, I thought Eminent Domain was a yawner.


i like Alien Frontiers and Race for the Galaxy as my space games of choice. 2of my absolute faves. Eclipse is awesome, but not as easy to find time to play. Core Worlds is pretty cool mechanically, but player seating seemed to matter alot, though Im intrigued to try it more. Eminent Domain fell flat for me and Id rather just play Race for the Galaxy (or Glory to Rome or Core Worlds).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genesyx
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
travvller wrote:

I really dislike comments like this. You're basically criticizing people for having a different pov by labeling them.

Disliking bash the leader and/or kingmaking is not the same as disliking aggression. I own, play and love and many games with aggression and confrontation. Many of them are far more confrontational than AF. My beef with AF isn't because it's confrontational.

I still own AF. Not sure how much longer that will be the case.


Leaving the comment aside, may I ask what's "your beef" with the game? (hope that means what you dislike about the game, English ain't my native language so sorry if I got it wrong )

I'm still on with purchasing the game, but it helps to see it from a different view, and it may help future gamers to decide whether the game is for them


flamejuggler wrote:
Vanish wrote:
genesyx wrote:

Either way thank you all for pushing me off the fence on this game, and helping me solve my 6-months-long-to-get-or-not-to-get question! Now should I get eminent domain or core world with this space game?hmm......


Haven't tried core worlds yet, but as someone who loves Alien Frontiers and Eclipse, thinks Dominion is OK, I thought Eminent Domain was a yawner.


i like Alien Frontiers and Race for the Galaxy as my space games of choice. 2of my absolute faves. Eclipse is awesome, but not as easy to find time to play. Core Worlds is pretty cool mechanically, but player seating seemed to matter alot, though Im intrigued to try it more. Eminent Domain fell flat for me and Id rather just play Race for the Galaxy (or Glory to Rome or Core Worlds).


haha thanks for the input. I've never paid much attention to Eclipse, since I don't really play games that take very long to play. I like the idea of coreworld, but I don't really like the artstyle of the game. Sure it's only art and doesn't really affect gameplay,but for me theme/art has as much influence as the mechanic itself. EM on the other hand has (IMO)a great technology design feel to it.

okay I think thats enough. Don't wanna make this into a half-AF half-CW/EM discussion thread right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.