Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kelly Krieble
United States
Bethlehem
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be a different kind of review, primarily of the cards that are included in the game.

1. Feel (10 out of 10)

This is the first thing that jumped out at me when I picked them up. Quite honestly, they were an absolute pleasure to put into my hand. The BEST feeling cards in a game I’ve picked up – other games should take notice of this. The card stock is the perfect thickness, and the finish is almost velvety (low drag). I’m wondering whether to put sleeves on them to protect them, but then I wouldn’t have their awesome feeling while I played. It would be a shame to cover them up, but I’m wondering how they will handle the strain of many games. The edge cuts are also very nice and clean – you know how some cuts can raise the lip of the card and they end up being nested like bowls in a cupboard, not these cards.

2. Size (9 out of 10)

Good size, similar to Magic cards and much better than the micro Fantasy Flight cards in other games (I prefer the larger cards – poker size), especially since at times you may have a handful of cards you need to rifle through. The size also makes them easier to handle on the player boards.

3. Artwork (10 out of 10)

Beautiful - front and back. I’m usually not much for art, but the images are very appropriate and thematic.

4. Iconography (9 out of 10)

Some people may have an issue with this aspect, but once you play the game the icons make a lot of sense. They also put a key on the back of the rulebook so it’s easy to find. There’s also no language dependent text on the cards, so this game ports very well across languages.

5. Play (9 out of 10)

a. Variety

Well, there are 140 cards in this game, distributed among 6 decks (events, properties, companions, guests, specials, last wills), so the variety of cards is good. Within each deck there are a good number of different cards. Some people have complained about having many decks to shuffle, but I don’t feel that that is a big deal. The "Last Will" cards determine the victory conditions, and it appears that for different conditions the game play may be more varied (slower paced rather than a mad rush to spend), so they lend themselves to some good replayability factor.

b. Balance

I’ve only played a couple of games, but they appear to be balanced. Sure there are a couple of “good” cards – the extra action guys come to mind, but those are tempered by the fact that you can plan your day to get extra actions and the fact that you actually have to spend an action to deploy them – but I don’t sense any broken ones yet. The game overall seems well designed with multiple paths to victory and multiple cards assisting in each path to victory. The special cards are available in limited quantity, but none seem overpowered. Decks also get cycled through during the game which is useful.

c. Ease of use (fiddly bits)

This is one area where people may take issue, but I have no problem with. In some cases (the property cards) you have to place small tokens on the card to indicate the property value depreciation, and if the property is stocked with animals (in the case of farms) or hired help (other properties). You have to be careful the tokens don’t get bumped when the cards may be activated – tokens are kinda small (about 1cm diameter). Not a real big deal in my opinion. Other than that, the activation mechanism is interesting – instead of “tapping” the card you move it down about an inch on your player mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for putting this together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked this review but mostly I want to say - Andy I tipped you because you made me laugh. Everywhere I go, there's the moose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
I can't see any difference between the quality of these cards and any other game I've played. Was this tongue in cheek?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Wayne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
richiebabes wrote:
I can't see any difference between the quality of these cards and any other game I've played. Was this tongue in cheek?

It better not have been!

I just ordered a copy based on this review alone!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morgan
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
jobin13 wrote:
richiebabes wrote:

It better not have been!

I just ordered a copy based on this review alone!!!

Oh don't worry, it's a really good fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
East Fallowfield
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are excellent. The quality is thick and the artwork is fun and thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.