$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
230 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: BGG Collab Project - Phase 3: How do you play this competitive time-travel game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver Twitt
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG Design Forums Collab Project - Phase 1: What's an underplayed boardgame Niche?
lordrahvin wrote:
jaybeethree wrote:
I also had an idea for a simple, skill based solitaire game. You're a space pilot and pirates are trying to board your ship. Your only offense is to seal rooms and flood them with gas. A room (represented by a square tile) must be fully sealed on all sides to flood a room but each door can only swing on a single pivot point. This means pirates in one room can escape while you're trying to trap another group. If the pirates reach the bridge you lose.

This may just be the thematic ameritrasher in me talking, but why not just fully enclose your own room, and then flood all other rooms with gas, whether they are sealed or not? The open doorways would allow the gas to spread more easily, like central heating.

Come to think of it, wouldn't people in space have oxygen tanks and such as standard gear?

Or better yet, open all the doors and then open an airlock. Everyone who ISN'T in a sealed room, would be sucked outside and/or die. And everyone who was in a sealed room could then be gassed or have the doors overridden from the control room.

I based the idea around my time in the Navy. Before flooding a space with halon you have to cut ventilation to the ship and seal the area. Fire boundaries are set on all bulkheads top and bottom.

So lets say in the future there's an automatic failsafe that won't flood a room until it's sealed on all four sides. And space pirates remove their suits after boarding. It's like how some Space Marines don't wear helmets so they can look all menacing. Helmets break every rule of cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG Design Forums Collab Project - Phase 1: What's an underplayed boardgame Niche?
jimwithatwist wrote:
lordrahvin wrote:
kurthl33t wrote:
I don't think it necessarily has to be a world map. We could focus on a particular area. It could be something from recent history, such as Japan or New Orleans, or something that could happen in the future, like a major earthquake in southern California, a wicked forest fire in Brazil, a tsunami in India, etc.

Like Pandemic, I think the disaster should be kept either relatively vague or else as a modular component so that each game can be a different disaster in a different area. Maybe even a different time, which will determine our resources available.

But I don't think it should be scenario based (i.e., Katrina). I think we should focus on the idea that the game is the next big disaster in the near future, which could be any number of things. Or else just kept very vague so that the players can make their own backstory.

Actually, I would go in an opposite direction. More like Pandemic and extrapolating from there. Have multiple disasters pop-up during course of the game in different regions. Each player-country (or player-NGOs) have to prioritize, and spread their limited resources and personnel to best tackle the problems of the world. But the next disaster could be in your own country, which will become the top priority for you, but not necessarily everyone else. This would be a semi-cooperative game in a way.

This is a really incredible idea. They'd have to balance the resources of money and volunteers, and then decide on how to invest them (maybe to prepare for different types of disasters). You could probably also spend money to advertise to increase volunteers, but of course, successful response to disasters would also increase revenue and volunteers due to good publicity, so there'd be a reason for players to work together to overcome challenges that they couldn't face alone to get bigger returns...

Like someone else said, I already want to buy this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
You could also take into account donations by regular folks, the larger scale of the disaster, the more donations/resources. Maybe the disasters would have a "media coverage" rank to effect these values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I am a bit flattered by the attention for my humanitarian idea. Pert of the impetus for it is that my boss actually is pushing me to either write an article about the use of game play in emergency management or develop a game. Unfortunately I have been side track trying to get a major plan written and approved before I go on maternity leave in July so...that. Normally I personally don’t work at the international leave (think more the movie Contagion; also, a few beers and I could go on and on and on what was wrong with that movie and also Pandemic, but I digress since I know in my heart that is soooo not the point of the game). Anyway, there is actually a flash version of the humanitarian idea put out by the Red Cross (but it is for refugees and, honestly, I though it really lacked depth). Either way, I would be more than happy to work on developing this or any emergency/ disaster-based games as a subject matter expert.

As for the slavery game, I was thinking the role of ‘slavers’ would be played by event cards, not by the actual players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
insearchofspace wrote:
soulyogurt wrote:

I am also really intruiged by the idea of an Underground Railroad game.

Here's a thread about Conductor.

I was thiiiissss close typing up the link. Timely, since the designer recently posted his new thread on the idea.

and..no one will player the bad guys in his; the game plays the bad guy's effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!
mbmbmbmbmb
insearchofspace wrote:
soulyogurt wrote:

I am also really intruiged by the idea of an Underground Railroad game.

Here's a thread about Conductor.

Just posted yesterday- wow- great minds think alike whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ivan pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D7
flag msg tools
Save keys to open doors...
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:

Once we have a enough agreed on ideas we will start a poll and then proceed to Phase Two.

(p.s. what should Phase Two be?)

Is it too soon to start putting together a list of ideas for a poll?
Or is it worth waiting longer to see what other ideas come up?

Phase One seems to be focusing on themes and broad game categories so I would say Phase Two should work on the game mechanisms in greater detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
insearchofspace wrote:
Is it too soon to start putting together a list of ideas for a poll?
Or is it worth waiting longer to see what other ideas come up?

Are you really taking a poll to ask if we should start a poll?

I think we should wait for more suggestions. Once a few more ideas are proposed, we can start nominating some of them, and then run a poll on anything that's been nominated (or maybe nominated at least twice).

Also, we should act quickly and declare me supreme leader before immigrants come and take our jobs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ivan pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D7
flag msg tools
Save keys to open doors...
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

Are you really taking a poll to ask if we should start a poll?

no!

lordrahvin wrote:

I think we should wait for more suggestions. Once a few more ideas are proposed, we can start nominating some of them, and then run a poll on anything that's been nominated (or maybe nominated at least twice).

yes!

lordrahvin wrote:

Also, we should act quickly and declare me supreme leader before immigrants come and take our jobs.

surprise not sure about this bit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
RAAWRR!!!
*busts in through a wall hulk style*

I AM THE SUPREME LEADER NOT YOU CALIFORNIA MAN! BLAAURGHAGH!! *collapses out of sheer rage*

So yeah, these arte all great, remember though that we are looking for Niche (theme, rough mech. ideas etc etc.) so try not to work on anyone specific idea quite yet, lets follow the phases - otherwise it might be in danger of getting the timing out of sync and what not. Don't worry, I'll keeo on it and start listing a poll soon enough

I actually like all the ideas so far, and am actually somewhat enamored by our dear friends idea of "take-the-piss" games (the boardgame store owner game or a janitor game or something very tounge in cheek)

And this kind of simple management style of game got me on to thinking about "Computer Dev. Story" and "Hot Springs Story" type games from the iPhone / android phone platform - that kind of nice, simple management game, then I started thinking more about alpha centurii and all those kind of games and eventually got to:

Theme Hospital - The Board Game!

omgosh! :O - would be awesomez!

(p.s. So Phase two would be mechanics discussion hmm?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
not sure about less-used theme as of late:
Field Hospital
and mine Healthy Heart Hospital
are both quite recent. Mine is co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to find more games I could use in a classroom environment.

Lots of history, english, and language classes do what are essentially cultural/event/author units that a good game can help a lot with. I taught recently a unit on gladiators and found there was a perfect game for it (Munera: Familia Gladiatoria). Not just one that had combat mechanics in it, but one that brought in all the other interesting elements that get overlooked often, like: running an entire gladiatorial school, recruiting people to help gladiators train/relax/heal/etc., bribing judges, influencing the crowd with "event" type cards (the crowd is particularly bloodthirsty one day, or the awnings are deployed and they are happier, or a riot breaks out and ends the spectacle at the moment the card is played, etc.). And the names for most things on the board and the names for people on the cards are in Latin (though the instructions are of course English).

I would absolutely use other games for other units, and I know other teachers would be more likely to do the same if it helped reinforce things they are covering in class (instead of being just a topical launching pad for lots of other things to be put into the game that might not help). More of a "what mechanics and features would best suit this particular niche" instead of "what mechanics and features would we like to use and how can we make them work in this particular niche". I've already shown the kickstarter Divided Republic to a history teacher who sees some promise in using it in a class. And I would really love one that was set in the ancient Olympics and really followed a lot of the actual contests, religious rituals, rewards and punishments that took place in the contests, in addition to using some transliterated names for things (as opposed to translated).

Albe Pavo is looking at a Circus Maximus game like Munera, and I would definitely use that too. I've tried looking at some games that some fellow language teachers (French and Spanish) could use in a cultural/history unit, but I haven't seen anything that seemed as sure to help as Munera did. My experience with it in the classroom was really great too - the students really got into it.

Anyway, that's my two cents, though it is from an admittedly very biased (or from one particular direction at least) point of reference/use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:
What is an underplayed boardgame Niche?

Quests that aren't fantasy.

Fantasy that isn't 'vanilla fantasy'.

RPG-style games where the resources and obstacles are largely non-physical or internal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
apeloverage wrote:
Cogentesque wrote:

Quests that aren't fantasy.

Fantasy that isn't 'vanilla fantasy'.

RPG-style games where the resources and obstacles are largely non-physical or internal.

James, that all sounds FAR to interesting for you to just put the subtitle in and stop explaining it further man. Tell us of fantasy that isnt vanilla and tell us especially of what you mean by your third point - it sounds rather intriguing ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:
tell us especially of what you mean by your third point

RPG-style games: Each player controls a character. That character has mechanical differences from other possible characters. There are RPG-like mechanics such as attribute rolls.

Non-physical resources and obstacles: Common examples in popular culture would be police procedurals. Or, more generally, the relationship troubles that characters seem to have to have regardless of genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By 'vanilla fantasy' I mean the setting elements created by Tolkien and other writers, combined and codified by Dungeons & Dragons, and adapted by other games including computer games such as World of Warcraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quests that aren't fantasy: The idea of someone going on a long, dangerous journey for some reward could probably fit into any genre, including historical.

Explorers, immigrants/refugees, people trying to prove a theory, and people who see money to be made are examples of 'quests' that people really went on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Well Wiki tells me that a police procedural is
"a subgenre of detective fiction which attempts to convincingly depict the activities of a police force as they investigate crimes", so like CSI and stuff? Ok cool.

Relationship Troubles that plague all genres - ok cool, so basically plot reltionships and contempt and romance and brotherly respect and stuff?

So how would they relate to a boardgame? Do you mean like a boardgame about police Investigations and/or a boardgame about relationships? Sorry for coming across ignorant

Also, new rule, you're not allowed to say "Fantasy that's not vanilla fantasy" WITHOUT giving examples

So I know what you don't want, but you hafta tell me what you do want ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't particularly want any of it But you asked for examples of themes that are underused (which I took to mean 'common in popular culture but less common in games').

Some examples of fantasy elements that are common in general popular culture but not in D&D and its derivatives are talking animals, angels, vampires and werewolves as characters with individual personalities, pirates (not strictly fantasy, but the Pirates of the Caribbean series certainly was), and characters from our world entering a fantasy world.

Some examples of core elements of D&D that aren't common in fantasy (except for that derived from D&D itself) are clerics, magic being like technology (morally neutral, reliable, common and well-understood), dungeons, and a detailed and universally-understood taxonomy of monsters (so that, for example, demons, devils and fiends are separate things).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Townsend
United States
Edenton
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Mechanics are my area of expertise (so to speak), so once we choose a theme I'll be more of a help.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tudero
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Cogentesque wrote:

Time travel board game! I'm currently working on one

My problems with existing time travel board games are:

A) They are only time travel in theme. That's cool, but making a time travel mechanic is cooler
B) They can be too complex or muddled because of how badly the designer wants the theme to work
C) If they're not too complex, they can be very restricting and linear. Part of the fun in the idea of time travel games is that you can have unforeseen consequences in your actions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim §
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ruderobot wrote:
Cogentesque wrote:

Time travel board game! I'm currently working on one

Me, too! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Actually it seems lately that Time Travel is becoming a popular theme, I swear I've seen nearly 4-5 design projects in the works. I know one on Kickstarter, s3rvant is working on one, and then you two guys. I thought I saw another one though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Cinca
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Golfing, Fishing and Space Pyramids are clearly an underplayed niche!

- Shelby
Zoneplex Kickstarter Active Now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tudero
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I knew about the kickstarter one, and s3rvant's, but I still think it's an excellent undeveloped niche theme with a lot of potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.