Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
230 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: BGG Collab Project - Phase 3: How do you play this competitive time-travel game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG Design Forums Collab Project - Phase 1: What's an underplayed boardgame Niche?
ruderobot wrote:
Cogentesque wrote:
What is an underplayed boardgame Niche?

Time travel board game! I'm currently working on one

My problems with existing time travel board games are:

A) They are only time travel in theme. That's cool, but making a time travel mechanic is cooler
B) They can be too complex or muddled because of how badly the designer wants the theme to work
C) If they're not too complex, they can be very restricting and linear. Part of the fun in the idea of time travel games is that you can have unforeseen consequences in your actions

I have two time travel games in development as well. One is more abstract, the other really uses thematic time travel as the core of the game. I started the second game because of your third problem. I was dealing with a very strict worldspace in order to allow the time travel hijinx, and wanted to find a way to get around that and make it have more of an exploratory feel. I'd be interested in comparing notes.

I had a hilarious error with the more Euro-ish game... I am dealing with influence, and placing it in the past propogates into the future. First versions ended up with dozens and dozens of cubes in the later periods sometimes. I ended up working on a dryerase board while I refined that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to go to my profile
badge
Games should be fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG Design Forums Collab Project - Phase 1: What's an underplayed boardgame Niche?
Teleklos wrote:
I would love to find more games I could use in a classroom environment.

Lots of history, english, and language classes do what are essentially cultural/event/author units that a good game can help a lot with. I taught recently a unit on gladiators and found there was a perfect game for it (Munera: Familia Gladiatoria). Not just one that had combat mechanics in it, but one that brought in all the other interesting elements that get overlooked often, like: running an entire gladiatorial school, recruiting people to help gladiators train/relax/heal/etc., bribing judges, influencing the crowd with "event" type cards (the crowd is particularly bloodthirsty one day, or the awnings are deployed and they are happier, or a riot breaks out and ends the spectacle at the moment the card is played, etc.). And the names for most things on the board and the names for people on the cards are in Latin (though the instructions are of course English).

Anyway, that's my two cents, though it is from an admittedly very biased (or from one particular direction at least) point of reference/use.

I agree fully, fun games that acually teach something is a huge opportunity. They had on the first season of Shak Tank a guy that made music for Shakespear and the sharks ate it up.

You have scores of home schooled children. I kids are engaged by the media, they are then more likely to internalise the information.
IMHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wanless
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This popped in my head the other day for a co-op forum designed game, how about 4 or 5 games with different game mechanics strung together with the overarching theme of Time Travel. So you jump somewhere deal with that subset game jump somewhere else and do that subset game that has different game mechanics. Game may go on for awhile though, which isn't a bad thing...
With a bunch of different mechanics it would have something for everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Games should be fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
LabyrinthsEcho wrote:
This popped in my head the other day for a co-op forum designed game, how about 4 or 5 games with different game mechanics strung together with the overarching theme of Time Travel. So you jump somewhere deal with that subset game jump somewhere else and do that subset game that has different game mechanics. Game may go on for awhile though, which isn't a bad thing...
With a bunch of different mechanics it would have something for everyone

The other nice thing about this approach is you then have the ability to easily create new content as expansions. You could even teach science using the same framework in framing it as happening in the future.

If you go tis approach you can also create a website and instructions on how to expand it themselves to use in any period of history or soccial studies. Then you have a community helping to create content, sharing with other teachers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tudero
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
One of my first time travel board game ideas also had an educational component. The events in it were the ones that happened in earth's actual history, and dealt with points of divergence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_of_divergence).
For example, one card was the 1936 Summer Olympics. On one side of the card, it happened as it did in our history, in Berlin. On the other, it would have been held in Barcelona, which would have further ripple effects in the future. I scrapped this idea though. While I thought it was educational to some degree, because you could understand some of the geopolitical effects of events in history, a lot of the alternative history would just be conjecture by the game designer (me).

I *love* all this talk of time travel board games, but we should probably make another thread before we derail this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Goddard
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wer2chosen wrote:
Teleklos wrote:
I would love to find more games I could use in a classroom environment.

Lots of history, english, and language classes do what are essentially cultural/event/author units that a good game can help a lot with. I taught recently a unit on gladiators and found there was a perfect game for it (Munera: Familia Gladiatoria). Not just one that had combat mechanics in it, but one that brought in all the other interesting elements that get overlooked often, like: running an entire gladiatorial school, recruiting people to help gladiators train/relax/heal/etc., bribing judges, influencing the crowd with "event" type cards (the crowd is particularly bloodthirsty one day, or the awnings are deployed and they are happier, or a riot breaks out and ends the spectacle at the moment the card is played, etc.). And the names for most things on the board and the names for people on the cards are in Latin (though the instructions are of course English).

Anyway, that's my two cents, though it is from an admittedly very biased (or from one particular direction at least) point of reference/use.

I agree fully, fun games that acually teach something is a huge opportunity. They had on the first season of Shak Tank a guy that made music for Shakespear and the sharks ate it up.

You have scores of home schooled children. I kids are engaged by the media, they are then more likely to internalise the information.
IMHO

I'm working on a game right along those lines--and, more to the point of the thread, it's got a fairly original theme that I think has a lot of possibilities (National Parks).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:
my humanitarian idea.

This. I vote for this. "FEMA vs Global Climate Change" or "Kaiju Cleanup Task Force" or something like that. I'm down. I'll work with you on this even if it doesn't "win" this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Or a game on the response to Hurricane Katrina.
So many possibilities....definitely an underplayed genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Games should be fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
williamj35 wrote:
Or a game on the response to Hurricane Katrina.
So many possibilities....definitely an underplayed genre.

Reminds me of the survival game Avalon Hill I believe published years ago. I have it, but never read the rules or played it yet. I remember someone telling me it taught real survival skills.

So far the only lesson I have taken to heart frm a game is if you paint something red it goes faster(orc warhammer 40k). I did buy a red truck the last time I bought a car. Some insurance companies use car as a rating variable. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!
mbmbmbmbmb
williamj35 wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:
my humanitarian idea.

This. I vote for this. "FEMA vs Global Climate Change" or "Kaiju Cleanup Task Force" or something like that. I'm down. I'll work with you on this even if it doesn't "win" this thread.

I love that you think FEMA 'does' anything lol

No, but seriously, think of them as the money bags and some equipment, NOT actual emergency response. Emergency management is local laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
suggested theme: a game about car bombs. Some bomb could explode in a city. You are an investigator who must find where the bomb is hidden, and find the right tools to disarm it. You have number of turns before it blows up an important building. The game is not cooperative. The first player to disarm the bomb wins the game, the other are sent to afganistan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin518 wrote:
suggested theme: a game about car bombs. Some bomb could explode in a city. You are an investigator who must find where the bomb is hidden, and find the right tools to disarm it. You have number of turns before it blows up an important building. The game is not cooperative. The first player to disarm the bomb wins the game, the other are sent to afganistan.

Ummm...having known people who actually do this for the military and have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, I would say this is, politely, a tough sell. My husband refuses to even consider trying out games like Labyrinth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Ok Poll's up

I Used ones that seemed to get a decent reaction and avoided the "might offend some people" ones.

You get TWO choices only. One as your "1st Choice" and one as your "2nd Choice"

(Im all for the Alternative vote you see

POLL ENDS ON SUNDAY.

After that: Phase 2 :O....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Webb
United States
Little Rock
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG Design Forums Collab Project - VOTE NOW - Phase 1: What's an underplayed boardgame Niche?
Forgot to add this earlier. Celts! It can fit with the first and the last options on the voting list. There are no games that are set in Celtic culture or use any part of their society as a setting. Games that are set in Greece or Rome in antiquity are extremely common, even if they aren't particularly accurate. A game that is not a true wargame but does include some military aspect, some cultural/governmental stuff, and something about the DRUIDS! would be terrific. There are two or three games out there that just use Celtic art or very magicky type Druid stuff, but I'd love to have something like Alea Iacta Est, Poseidon, Kreta, Cyclades, Glen More, etc. etc. etc. placed in Celtic culture with some real Celtic names for things used as much as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG Design Forums Collab Project - VOTE NOW - Phase 1: What's an underplayed boardgame Niche?
Hehehe, I'm a bit late to this party. Just voted without reading the rest. I went for Hobos and Brains. I'm having a hard time digesting why anyone would want to play Humanitarians rushing into a Disaster Area... ;p

(edit) Just read most of the rest of the thread. And realized where the Humanitarians-to-the-Rescue idea came from. Also realized that the voting just started.

So ... I'm changing my vote. I'm all-in for Humanitarians-to-the-Rescue ...

... but here's the catch ... there's a few traitors ... people who are not really rushing to the rescue.

So ... my collaboration in that project would be more like

Humanitarians-to-the-Rescue ... and Politicians too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogentesque wrote:

(p.s. what should Phase Two be?)

Well, we got "Niche" ... which looks like we are getting the game's backdrop / theme.

I think we need to decide on an overall gameplay "feel" ...

... is it a solitaire game?
... is it strictly for 2 players?
... is it a competitive game for 2 or more players? Can it go beyond the "usual" 2-4 player game?
... is it a cooperative game?
... is it a coop game with hidden traitor(s)?
... is it a cooperative game, but has 2 competing teams?
... is it a cooperative game, but has 2 competing teams, and each player's role is assigned secretly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
... but here's the catch ... there's a few traitors ... people who are not really rushing to the rescue.

Well, naturally- that would make it more realistic. I saw it more as one of the ‘challenges’ than a ‘traitor’ game. Some asshat is always trying to block assistance for a wide variety of reasons *cough* political *cough*.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

Well, naturally- that would make it more realistic. I saw it more as one of the ‘challenges’ than a ‘traitor’ game. Some asshat is always trying to block assistance for a wide variety of reasons *cough* political *cough*.

Well, the "traitor" doesn't necessarily have to be blocking / challenging the assistance. He/she might simply have a different agenda that weakens the assistance (but strengthens him/herself). We could even design the game such that every player has a desire to actually correct the problem, but their motivations and end-results vary.

Just as a hypothetical example ... let's say there's an Oil Spill. And please, this is strictly hypothetical, I don't know anything about what really happened in similar events in real life, so I'm not trying to paint anyone or anything. I'm a gamer with a slight case of analysis paralysis, and I tend to follow trails of thought far beyond the case of reality.

One player may be representative of Protecting the Wildlife, and so his activities divert resources to specifically solve just the issues that impact the wildlife.

Another player might represent the Small Businesses that depend on the endangered wildlife, and so he might ally up with the first player in a few projects; but he might not want to venture too far away from what is needed to keep his business afloat.

A third player may represent the Big Business, or specifically, the Oil Producer that was "responsible" for the oil getting spilled. He probably doesn't care a whit about the Wildlife or the Small Businesses, but he'd rather spend other people's money in getting this problem fixed.

A fourth player might be a local politician going for re-election next year -- and his interests may be tied up between catering to the Small Businesses (which represent his constituency), or catering to the Big Business (who provides him with most of his campaign money) ... or maybe he can leverage some good PR with the Wildlife folk and get a better position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
sweetgotham wrote:
Stormtower wrote:

Well, the "traitor" doesn't necessarily have to be blocking / challenging the assistance. He/she might simply have a different agenda that weakens the assistance (but strengthens him/herself). We could even design the game such that every player has a desire to actually correct the problem, but their motivations and end-results vary.

Just as a hypothetical example ... let's say there's an Oil Spill. And please, this is strictly hypothetical, I don't know anything about what really happened in similar events in real life, so I'm not trying to paint anyone or anything. I'm a gamer with a slight case of analysis paralysis, and I tend to follow trails of thought far beyond the case of reality.

One player may be representative of Protecting the Wildlife, and so his activities divert resources to specifically solve just the issues that impact the wildlife.

Another player might represent the Small Businesses that depend on the endangered wildlife, and so he might ally up with the first player in a few projects; but he might not want to venture too far away from what is needed to keep his business afloat.

A third player may represent the Big Business, or specifically, the Oil Producer that was "responsible" for the oil getting spilled. He probably doesn't care a whit about the Wildlife or the Small Businesses, but he'd rather spend other people's money in getting this problem fixed.

A fourth player might be a local politician going for re-election next year -- and his interests may be tied up between catering to the Small Businesses (which represent his constituency), or catering to the Big Business (who provides him with most of his campaign money) ... or maybe he can leverage some good PR with the Wildlife folk and get a better position.

The problem with this set up is that it would limit replayability with different scenarios (since the competing interests would be different depending on scenario) which is why I think delegating these concerns and motives to an ‘action card’ pile makes more sense. That way the players (could be co-op as one unified response agency or competitive with different NGOs etc) would have to confront and manage the challenges during the incident- motivations are not always predictable or clockwork in these situations; better to mix it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetgotham wrote:
The problem with this set up is that it would limit replayability with different scenarios (since the competing interests would be different depending on scenario) which is why I think delegating these concerns and motives to an ‘action card’ pile makes more sense. That way the players (could be co-op as one unified response agency or competitive with different NGOs etc) would have to confront and manage the challenges during the incident- motivations are not always predictable or clockwork in these situations; better to mix it up.

Quoted for truth ... particularly the parenthetical statement.

I like the approach of using "action cards".

I know we're not yet at the point of actually building the boardgame ... but I can't help but come up with ideas for mechanics as well.

And now that you've brought up "different scenarios", perhaps the motives and agendas would also be specified by the scenarios, and then the roles are secretly assigned to the players.

Now I'm thinking along the lines of Battlestar Galactica again, but with a far more modular "architecture".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

Quoted for truth ... particularly the parenthetical statement.

I like the approach of using "action cards".

I know we're not yet at the point of actually building the boardgame ... but I can't help but come up with ideas for mechanics as well.

And now that you've brought up "different scenarios", perhaps the motives and agendas would also be specified by the scenarios, and then the roles are secretly assigned to the players.

Now I'm thinking along the lines of Battlestar Galactica again, but with a far more modular "architecture".

I would shy away from roles for this particular theme out of deference to Pandemic but I sure as hell can give you the national disaster planning scenarios! Lol

But I digress...first things first. If this game idea doesn’t win, I would be more than happy to work separately on it with interested parties. Same for the cryptozoology game idea (which I secretly almost think would be more fun because it’s less ‘work-y’ for me lol)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EPIC time travel!!!

Bronze Age - Iron Age - Middle Ages - Renaissance - Industrial Revolution - Modern Era - Apocalypse (damn Mayans!)

hmmm... too complex...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cattlemark
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
sweetgotham wrote:
Same for the cryptozoology game idea (which I secretly almost think would be more fun because it’s less ‘work-y’ for me lol)

You're gonna have plenty of takers for the humanitarian game if it doesn't win the poll. So I'd definitely volunteer to help out on the cryptozoology one. And like you said, it's less "worky".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice to see the Alpha Centauri suggestion getting some support. I wouldn't want to design it, myself, but I would play it in a heartbeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herc du Preez
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PSchulman wrote:
EPIC time travel!!!

Bronze Age - Iron Age - Middle Ages - Renaissance - Industrial Revolution - Modern Era - Apocalypse (damn Mayans!)

hmmm... too complex...

Which is why I think Time Travel is a good one. It is difficult to find an elegant and yet still fun mechanic that can support time travel. Especially if you bring in the concept of "time ripples" or "waves of change in time".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.