Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
230 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [10] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: BGG Collab Project - Phase 3: How do you play this competitive time-travel game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
I also purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
badge
I purchased this and do not know what to do with it!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG Design Forums Collab Project - VOTE NOW - Phase 1: What's an underplayed boardgame Niche?
PSchulman wrote:
I dig the mission but i see it as a cooperative game. Players are part of a team, which has to stop the machinations of a great mind of world domination/annihilation. It could have a lot of scenarios/boards players jumping from board to board collecting the necessary itens/conditions to stop our villain's plans. Like Carmen Sandiego maybe.

I think this sceneario just goes well with Action point allowance system.

Just started reading this thread and am also looking at preliminary notes (from three days ago) for a time travel game about just this very thing... was I here before I was there? :S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Mercer
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Re: BGG Design Forums Collab Project - VOTE NOW - Phase 1: What's an underplayed boardgame Niche?
Lol Candi you are thinking about ist so much it appears you have lapswed into a temporal vortex of your own ¬_¬
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jokin VAILLANT
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys !

I think time traveling is an excellent theme for a boardgame and just wanted to share with you a mechanic I thought was very cool (it is from a very fun prototype which name I have forgotten from Sanjuro).

In his game, players were the underlings of a mad scientist battling to be the first to build the first time machine. Without going into details, it involved cooperation/bluff/treason, set collecting, etc... The interesting trick is that you could in some instances (for examples, fights) have your future self come back in time to help you, giving you a substantial boost. Each time you used that option, you had to take a cube representing "time debt". At the end of the game, if you couldn't repay that debt (= have enough fuel for the time machine to send you in the past X times), you were destroyed by the time paradox and lost.

This mechanic was not only very fitting for the theme, but it was also great because although a "perfect" player would almost never use it, if you were losing you could go overboard with it and still accomplish great and fun things during the game, albeit with a much reduced change of winning.

I hope this will help.

Jokin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone here read The Accidental Time Machine by Joe Haldeman? It's about a man who accidentally creates/discovers a time machine. However, it only allows him to jump forward in time, never backward, and the jumps increase in length each time--12 seconds, two hours, three days, a month, a year, etc.).

It might be interesting to create a game about time travel that uses the "gimmick" of time travel as an exploration of potential futures, rather than as a tool to alter events.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player 1: "Indians repelled the European invaders. The Aztec Empire is glorious!"

Player 2: "Oh, yeah? Hitler won the war. The Aztecs go crunch beneath our boots."

Player 3; "Umm... guys..."

Player 1; "Oh yeah? The nuke was developed 10 years too early! By the Chinese!"

Player 2: "And stolen by Vikings!"

Player 3: "Wait. Is that an anomaly? I'll look it up..."

Player 1: "The rise of Buddhist sovereignty expands beyond China! Hitler is indoctrinated as a Budhist!"

Player 3: "Guys, I'm pretty sure we did something wrong somewhere.."

Player 2: "Budhist?! The Vikings drop two nukes on China!"

Player 1: "Hey! Chinese refugees flock to the Americas to fuel the mighty Brazilian war machine."

Player 2; "The Vikings declare war on Brazil!"

Player 3: "What?!"

Player 1: "Brazil encourages the U.N. to place sanctions on all Viking shipping! The chieftains must be held accountable for their war crimes!"

Player 3: "Okay, that's it! The zombie apocalypse starts!! The board is wiped clear of all life."

Player 1: "Oh, dang."

Player 2: "What did he go and do that for?"

Player 1: "I don't know. Give some people a little power and they just get so carried away."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lordrahvin wrote:
Player 1: "Indians repelled the European invaders. The Aztec Empire is glorious!"

Player 2: "Oh, yeah? Hitler won the war. The Aztecs go crunch beneath our boots."

Player 3; "Umm... guys..."

Player 1; "Oh yeah? The nuke was developed 10 years too early! By the Chinese!"

Player 2: "And stolen by Vikings!"

Player 3: "Wait. Is that an anomaly? I'll look it up..."

Player 1: "The rise of Buddhist sovereignty expands beyond China! Hitler is indoctrinated as a Budhist!"

Player 3: "Guys, I'm pretty sure we did something wrong somewhere.."

Player 2: "Budhist?! The Vikings drop two nukes on China!"

Player 1: "Hey! Chinese refugees flock to the Americas to fuel the mighty Brazilian war machine."

Player 2; "The Vikings declare war on Brazil!"

Player 3: "What?!"

Player 1: "Brazil encourages the U.N. to place sanctions on all Viking shipping! The chieftains must be held accountable for their war crimes!"

Player 3: "Okay, that's it! The zombie apocalypse starts!! The board is wiped clear of all life."

Player 1: "Oh, dang."

Player 2: "What did he go and do that for?"

Player 1: "I don't know. Give some people a little power and they just get so carried away."

Yes. Make it do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tudero
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
that mechanic is pretty much what time travel chess uses
you can pull units from the future, as long as you 'close the loop' in the future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG Design Forums Collab Project - Phase 2: What is the general gameplay of this Time Travel game?
So ... wanna go start a poll?

It could be as simple as
A: Competitive
B: Cooperative (vs the game)
C: Cooperative w/ Hidden Traitor(s)

and/or
1: Travel to the Past and Change the Future
2: Travel to the Past to Preserve the Future
3: Resequence Past Events to fit your Agenda
4: Call your Future self/friends to save you in the Present

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: BGG Design Forums Collab Project - Phase 2: What is the general gameplay of this Time Travel game?
Here's another idea I thought I'd toss into the fray.

A while back I tinkered with an idea for a video game (although I'm sure it would make a perfectly good board game) called "Seeds of Hope."

The hero in a post-apocalyptic wasteland discovers that he can travel back in time about 50 years, before the mysterious Event that devastated the land. However, he can only do so at very particular locations. He takes seeds from his time to the past and plants them, allowing resistant trees and plants to survive and grow in his own time. Some of these plants grant him access to new areas and abilities, such as fruits that he can trade for equipment or trees that allow him to climb and reach new locations. He also tries to discover what happened to cause the great devastation in his time, and just maybe, find a way to stop it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Marlorme
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
-Flash Back/Forward to prevent the Apocalypse Game
3-6 Player cooperative game where players go through a past and a present phase each turn. The goal is to prevent some kind of apocalypse(Terminator, anyone?). The past is a relatively choice-heavy phase with lots of options for how to reduce risk and gain future resources. The future is a Pandemic-on-Hardest-Difficulty level of stress game where players are trying to put out fires with resources they gained in the past.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate LaValley
United States
S. Range
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combining the "dying world" with time travel would really be quite simple. Instead of a post-apocalyptic setting it have the game set in a world that is slowly running down. Maybe to give a sense of urgency the world would be getting to the point that it was uninhabitable.

The dying world setting for any sort of co-op or semi co-op game has multiple advantages.

The first: games set in an apocalyptic world (which I see as the chief alternative) are already numerous, so a dying world setting would be a better "underplayed niche"

The second: A dying world setting would suggest several interesting mechanics that other settings wouldn't (but I'll bring that up later).

I'm sure there are other advantages to a dying world setting (and probably some disadvantages) but the fact that it was the most popular second choice in the first poll suggests that using it would add interest to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I would like to see that I myself have been trying (and failing) at coming up with would be a game where becoming a Traitor is optional (ie: not dictated by a card being dealt to you but an active decision on a players part). It's one peeve I have with all traitor games. What if I want to be a Cylon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
Something I would like to see that I myself have been trying (and failing) at coming up with would be a game where becoming a Traitor is optional (ie: not dictated by a card being dealt to you but an active decision on a players part). It's one peeve I have with all traitor games. What if I want to be a Cylon?

Good idea. Making it a choice is more interesting.

But what would prevent all players from making that choice? What happens if everyone is a Cylon or the equivalent?

And how do you track people's choices?

I like this idea. I think there are probably a number of different ways to implement it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Goodall
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate LaValley wrote:
The second: A dying world setting would suggest several interesting mechanics that other settings wouldn't (but I'll bring that up later).

For starters, it's your built in game timer.
"Humanity's last ditched attempt to save themselves - use an experimental time machine to travel back and prevent their imminent extinction"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessey
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
williamj35 wrote:

But what would prevent all players from making that choice? What happens if everyone is a Cylon or the equivalent?

I like this idea. I think there are probably a number of different ways to implement it.

Those answers are all related and is why I've been struggling with making a mechanic.

For Tracking the best I've come up with is a Traitor card that everyone has and if you played it you are a Traitor or some similar thing. Where everyone has a 'traitor marker' and if you don't have it anymore you're a traitor (easier to have mechanics for secretly getting rid of something than having mechanics for secretly getting something new).

As for preventing global defection, my first idea was to have the incentive for becoming a traitor decrease the more traitors there are (but increase the longer the game goes without a traitor). The end result being that optimally in a 6 player game 2 people go traitor.

If everyone goes traitor you've now just got a competitive game (my original game with this mechanic had the traitors working against both the team and each other-- only 1 Traitor could win).

Ideas for the thought grinder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Marlorme
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
firewizard wrote:
Nate LaValley wrote:

"Humanity's last ditched attempt to save themselves - use an experimental time machine to travel back and prevent their imminent extinction"

Has anyone here played the video game "The Journeyman Project"?

I'm getting that kind of vibe off of this discussion.

Also, I like where this is going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:

Ideas for the thought grinder

Totally. What if each player had two secret role cards: one "badguy" and one "goodguy"? And each got to play one of these and discard the other.

Could be that players have to pick a role at the beginning of the game...

...or that they can pick a role as one of their actions at some point later in the game. Then you'd have people jumping in on different teams as the game progresses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tudero
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
A neat usable idea could be to make the act of time travelling take time itself.

For example, you're in day 1. The world ends on day 3. So you go to day 2 to prevent it. However, the act of time travelling might take.. 6 hours!So you have a limited number of tries before Day 1 is over and set in stone, and you're in Day 2.

It's not really a mechanic itself, just an idea I considered to let me control how long a game might take

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Candi wrote:
williamj35 wrote:

For Tracking the best I've come up with is a Traitor card that everyone has and if you played it you are a Traitor or some similar thing. Where everyone has a 'traitor marker' and if you don't have it anymore you're a traitor (easier to have mechanics for secretly getting rid of something than having mechanics for secretly getting something new).

williamj35 wrote:

Totally. What if each player had two secret role cards: one "badguy" and one "goodguy"? And each got to play one of these and discard the other.

Could be that players have to pick a role at the beginning of the game...

...or that they can pick a role as one of their actions at some point later in the game. Then you'd have people jumping in on different teams as the game progresses.

Hmmm... that has promise.

I'd actually call it a "Loyal" or "Patriot" card (or something like that). And if you discard it, you're automatically a "Traitor" or "Rebel".

Now ... speaking of discard ... obviously we don't have a rule about where these discards are going ... but what if the discarded cards ("Loyal" as well as other cards) are being reshuffled back into the deck (common deck?) ... and they get dealt out to the players again.

... possibly to the player who discarded it in the first place (making them somewhat vulnerable to being "Loyal" against their desire)

... or dealt to someone who still has Loyal (thus making it possible to own more than 1 Loyal card).

Maybe being Loyal multiple times acts as a score multiplier, or is a victory condition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

... or dealt to someone who still has Loyal (thus making it possible to own more than 1 Loyal card).

Yes! I like it. Assuming everyone has a hand of cards with various purposes (including one loyalty card), and has a reason to discard frequently, you would never know when people were becoming traitor. But you would often have reason to suspect.

And when I redraw someone else's discarded loyalty, then I will know for sure that someone else is a traitor.

(I also like that if you can cycle in and out of being a traitor. This way, people might act like traitors--because they are--and then by the time anyone accuses them of being a traitor, they just might have a loyalty card back in their hand.)

(Oooh. You could also play like a traitor, holding onto loyalty until someone accused you. Then discard your loyalty after suspicions were put at ease.cool)

How about this: players that draw a loyalty card have the option to reveal it to the other players, so that it is public information that at least one person is a traitor. (You could also keep the info secret, or pick your moment for the reveal.)

Cards revealed this way are permanently out of play.

AND if someone wants to risk it, they can play *their own* loyalty card as if they had drawn it from the deck. This is a way of going traitor while actively and publicly attempting to pin it on someone else. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
williamj35 wrote:

How about this: players that draw a loyalty card have the option to reveal it to the other players, so that it is public information that at least one person is a traitor. (You could also keep the info secret, or pick your moment for the reveal.)

Cards revealed this way are permanently out of play.

I think that might work.

Quote:
AND if someone wants to risk it, they can play *their own* loyalty card as if they had drawn it from the deck. This is a way of going traitor while actively and publicly attempting to pin it on someone else. devil

LOL ... not sure if it will work, but that would definitely be interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ryan
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:

LOL ... not sure if it will work, but that would definitely be interesting.

Hahaha. Totally. Probably won't work very often, if ever. But having the *option* would make every reveal suspicious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone been collating all these ideas? We should probably start zeroing in on a consensus in the next few days...

Although the brainstorming stage of game design is pretty fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate LaValley
United States
S. Range
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish we could vote on general game play before discussing specific mechanics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Been following this thread for a bit and being a bit of a time travel buff I am really interested in the outcome. thumbsup

firewizard wrote:

I guess if its important to send back someone to save John Conner then we'll have to do it. whistle

As for the traitor concept it does seem to be taking on a large aspect of its own long before the design behind the basis of the game is even figured out. It'd be best to nail down the mechanics that make the game what it is first.

Personally a game I'd like to see is one that deal with anomalies that must be corrected. Most of the current time travel themed games have little to do with that. There are commerce, area control and war games but nothing that mimics tv shows like Quantum Leap or Voyagers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.