Popular Tags: [View All]
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Over in this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/759416/im-no-expert-by-a...

Roosterjuice made a suggestion to allow the Governor an alternate ability to discard 2 cards as a free action. I added that it should also be able to remove cards (as per its standard use) from either your hand, reserve, or discard pile.

I tested the second part of that and it worked fine, did not seem too overpowered. I will be trying Rooster's suggestion next time I play.

Anyway, clearly, the Intendant suffers the same problem as the standard Governor - it bloats your deck for little gain. I'm hoping we can come up with a similar house rule to boost the Intendant so that it becomes a legitimate option for the French and isn't just a useless card making it harder to find the card you're looking for in the Empire deck.

First of all I'd make it a Free Action to retrieve a card from your discard. Second, I'd allow you to retrieve a single card from your Reserve if you'd like, instead of your discard pile.

With those changes it's still too weak in a highly competitive game. As a final change, what about allowing it to not count against your hand size when drawing up to 5 cards as the end of your turn? You'd show your opponent you have the Intendant card and then draw up to 6 cards (counting the Intendant).

So revised Intendant:

For a free action may draw a single card from either your discard pile or your reserve. When drawing up to 5 cards at the end of your turn do not count the Intedant as part of your hand (show your opponent the Intendant card).

I'm open to other/better suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
For a free action may draw a single card from either your discard pile or your reserve. When drawing up to 5 cards at the end of your turn do not count the Intedant as part of your hand (show your opponent the Intendant card).

I agree he needs to be majorly buffed. I like your suggestion. I don't think the hand limitation portion of the card is necessary. Making him a free action, with no cost is already a MASSIVE upgrade. With what you are suggesting, you can essentially use him with home support to draw 6 cards at the cost of ZERO actions. That's huge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
RoosterJuice wrote:

Quote:

I agree he needs to be majorly buffed. I like your suggestion. I don't think the hand limitation portion of the card is necessary. Making him a free action, with no cost is already a MASSIVE upgrade. With what you are suggesting, you can essentially use him with home support to draw 6 cards at the cost of ZERO actions. That's huge!

Yes, you're right; the hand size portion is too strong. Free action to draw a card from discard/reserve is enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Santoro
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that cards are situational. Intendant can be very powerful for French in later game, when the player can use it to get a Settler or a location to develop. Or the Home Support.

But, as this topic is in the Variants forum, it's ok to suggest and try, although I would never do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.