4 Posts

Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Basic strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Irwin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've played two games by myself (playing two hands to try and get the hang of it) and I'm going to be playing with a friend this Thursday. What I'm looking to do is shape up some ideas on what you should be trying to do at the start of the game, and how to play in such a way that you're really driving the game forward (both the games I tried by myself lasted 2 hours and were a bit unfocused). There's a real difference between knowing the rules of the game... and knowing how to play the game to the max and have fun with it. I'm looking for simple advice I can give new players.

If you can get 5 speed and 5 diplomacy on your bridge, then you'll be able to diplomacy 10 of the 15 ships in the Explore deck.

17 out of 40 cards in the Explore deck give you +1 Explore. So you can keep cycling through the Explore deck until you flip an event or a ship. (A point I completely missed on my first play-through).

Sensor scan is incredibly powerful. It lets you ignore the events that don't give you +1 explore, or ship encounters you don't want. There's a chance using Sensor Scan that you could cycle through the entire deck to find a ship that you can safely diplomacy. You're only scuppered if you draw two events or ships in a row.

Sensor scan also gives you +1 speed and +2 diplomacy so ties in nicely with the aim of getting +5 speed and +5 diplomacy onto your bridge.

What do you think then of the following advice?

Cycle past missions in the Explore deck until you find a ship you can diplomacy, or until an Event or Ship encounter ends your exploring.
Get Sensor Scan onto your bridge.
Get +5 diplomacy and +5 speed onto your bridge.

Or... would you have already won the game on all those mission points I've been ignoring?

Thanks,

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good idea, but in this game strategies are often decided in quick reactions to what cards are available in the star base. There's a good chance that a sensor scan card won't show up in the star base until the game has been going for several turns, or even at all.

Your base strategy is very good, however: focus on character and maneuver cards that boost your speed and diplomacy. If you get lucky and level up your ship early, you can frequently run away with the game. Adding the expansion's ships to the space deck helps to balance the game further by giving each player a better chance to encounter low level ships at the beginning of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Irwin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
jigmelingpa wrote:
A good idea, but in this game strategies are often decided in quick reactions to what cards are available in the star base. There's a good chance that a sensor scan card won't show up in the star base until the game has been going for several turns, or even at all.

Thanks, good point! I guess what I need then is some very general advice for "what do I buy?" (which would then also tell me what I should using my searches to try and find, and what I should be trying to block the other player from buying). I'm thinking that any card that brings you at least 2 points in speed or diplomacy (or split across the two stats) is a priority buy if what you're trying to do is diplomacy a ship at the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony Irwin wrote:

Thanks, good point! I guess what I need then is some very general advice for "what do I buy?" (which would then also tell me what I should using my searches to try and find, and what I should be trying to block the other player from buying). I'm thinking that any card that brings you at least 2 points in speed or diplomacy (or split across the two stats) is a priority buy if what you're trying to do is diplomacy a ship at the start.

Here's my basic strategy:

Early in the game, you want to:
. (1) use Starfleet Academy to upgrade:
. . . (a) your Lieutenants to Commanders, and
. . . (b) your Ensigns to Lieutenants (or just trash your Ensigns, if you have the means);
. (2) buy anything with Diplomacy (the more the merrier, but you'll find it's a rare resource, so even +1 is good early on);
. (3) buy cards that help you to:
. . . (a) increase the number of cards in hand or to your bridge (often Romulans; some Klingons; some maneuvers like Transporter), or
. . . (b) trash cards (often Klingons; some Romulans, but they often "self-destruct"; some setups like System Improvements), or
. . . (c) help you upgrade (setups like Peak Performance; one young character from each faction who can later be upgraded to a senior member of that faction - e.g. Wesley Crusher, Toral, etc, although these are more conditional so not nearly as strong as Peak Performance).

Diplomacy will help you upgrade your ship. Trashing and/or upgrading cards will improve the efficiency of your deck, which will help you buy better cards from Star Fleet and perform well when exploring (missions, events, or in battle). For example, you'll probably want to trash or upgrade most of the starting maneuvers. It's worth keeping Tricorder until you upgrade your ship, but then trash it once you have 50-point (or even 25-point) ship. Keep Diagnostic Check and Starfleet Academy. Sometimes I'll trash (or upgrade) Starfleet Academy if I have at least a couple of Peak Performance.

Later in the game (once you have a 50-point ship), you can trash some of the cards that only give you diplomacy (e.g. Tricorder, some weaker characters) but you definitely want to keep versatile cards like Jean-Luc Picard, William Riker, etc. At this point, you should also be trashing some of the setups that might have been valuable in the early game. Ideally, your deck will only have strong characters and perhaps a few of the best maneuvers (although I find that maneuvers are generally worse than characters). This way, you'll cut everything you wouldn't want to see in your hand when a "war" breaks out.

Of course, you have to adjust to what's available and how the game plays out. ST:DBG is more tactical than Dominion, so I can only start the game with this strategy in mind, but will almost certainly have to adjust as the game plays out. For example, if my ship keeps getting destroyed, I'll have to focus on trashing all the Ensigns (or Borg) I'll be drawing. Or sometimes there will be a lot of Ferengi and Klingons (or even Federation) characters available that interact with opponents' hands or bridge, and that will alter my strategy towards disrupting my opponents' decks (like Attack cards in Dominion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.