Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Deadwood adds an interesting twist to the worker placement mechanic: when some other player annoyingly chooses to place his worker on the space that you wanted to take, you can send in a gunfighter to take him out!

Of course, the drawback is that their "worker" is also a gunfighter, but it does take away some of the frustration of always being out played by an opponent. Only, of course, to add the frustration of rolling horrible dice.

Sarah has been talking about buying Deadwood for some time now, but as it was often just her and me - and Deadwood is reportedly not the best two-player game - she'd held off. We finally had an extra player on Friday (and she had money), so it was purchased and set up quickly. Thankfully, the game wasn't very hard to learn, although the icons on the buildings were frequently confusing.

I acquired a new level-3 gunfighter at the saloon early on, and sent him against Sarah's greenhorn; with four dice to her one, I rolled terribly and she shot my gunfighter dead with her one die. Yeah, that didn't go so well.

Our other player, Brad, was using the Sheriff to basically annoy us, and was robbing banks like there was no tomorrow. Sarah discovered the joy of trying to end the game early, placing the train line (often for little effect, as often few of our gunfighters were on the board when it extended), and took control of the Stage Coach. With the Sheriff protecting her (either due to a poor move by Brad or by Sarah finally getting a chance to move the Sheriff), Sarah went all-out to the Telegraph office to end the game before the railroad got to town.

Luckily for me, Brad took control of the Telegraph Office, and prevented Sarah from gaining it herself in a close gunfight. I was able to use the Newspaper to give Brad his fourth Wanted Poster, and then finally finish off the railroad.

Brad, with four Wanted posters, lost $10, and despite having a lot of money, ended up with $17. Sarah was further behind on $13, and I ended up winning on $20. (Neither Sarah nor I had wanted posters, thanks to some useful laundry/church combos).

I rather enjoyed the game, although the luck element went somewhat against me, I was able to somehow pull off a victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.