Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Sims
Australia
Kangaroo Flat
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As board game Geeks we have many things in common, and we enjoy sharing, discussing and celebrating these things in the BGG forums.
One thing that many of us share, but do not discuss, is a problem with overweight and a desire to be healthier and fitter.

We can feel so isolated because we are embarrassed or have problems with self confidence.

I stand before you as such a person, overweight for most of my life, fed up with the struggle to be fitter and embarrassed to ask for help.

It is with this in mind, and with the encouragement of Michelle that I have started a guild for those who would like a place to discuss their weight problems, solutions and triumphs.

Please join us if you share our hopes for a fitter future, or if you have succeeded in your desire to become a healthier geek. We can increase our chances of success together rather than fighting alone.

Looking forward to hearing from you at BGG Weight Loss Self Help Guild
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lloyd
United Kingdom
Sidcup
Kent
flag msg tools
This game is bullshit.
mbmbmbmb
Best of luck, David. My personal (and unintentional) solution was to get a dog. Going running with him a couple of times a week has helped keep me healthy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pop
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
AtlanteanConspiracy.com
badge
Calavera!
mbmbmbmbmb
I walk as much as I can. What I need to do now is stop eating pasta every evening meal...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a very easy solution for the problem, of course you can mix in and do all of these things and they may deliver somewhat in other sectors but the very short and easy guide to solve your problem is:

Lose weight:
* Eat less.

Gain a better result (look, body composition, long-term maintainability):
* Lift heavy.
* Eat more protein.

Become healthier:
* Eat food which are more nutrient dense.
* Move around more.

Simple as that, and don't get fooled / focus on the wrong thing for your goal. The direction your weight takes is a function of how much energy you put into your body subtracted by how much energy your body consume. You can waste energy moving around but that most likely feel like much more work on your part than just eating less. You don't have to remove pasta or chocolate or whatever to lose weight, you can just eat less, but of course kale would be more healthy for you than margarine. You don't have to work out or eat more protein but if you do you are more likely to keep or even gain muscle mass while losing fat instead of losing both. You can be fit from eating the right amount, plenty of protein and lifting heavy but still not very healthy due to poor food choices and lack of movement outside of the gym.

You can compare food sources on http://www.nutritiondata.com/
Personally I would prefer to compare for the same energy amount, not the same weight or the same volume.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
t w
United States
flag msg tools
aliquis wrote:
It's a very easy solution for the problem, ... Simple as that, ...

Losing weight for people is NOT easy and is NOT simple. Weight is also a function of genetics.

Making it sound simple and easy implies that people are foolish and lazy for not losing weight - not a helpful message to send, especially to someone who was brave enough to post about his struggles with weight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pierce
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sweetsweetdoughnuts wrote:
Best of luck, David. My personal (and unintentional) solution was to get a dog. Going running with him a couple of times a week has helped keep me healthy.

I realize the advice probably wasn't intended this way, but please think it through carefully if anyone out there is considering getting a dog as an exercise partner.

The only good reason to get a dog is if you want a dog.

If someone gets a dog because they think it will help them lose weight but they don't really want a dog, that is bad news for the dog if it doesn't work out (pun intended! ) that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo on your resolution and efforts to create this community. Very awesome stuff! Let me humbly make one suggestion---make "health" just as important as "weight loss." American media makes us think Paris Hilton and Lyndsay Lohan (spelling?) are normal . . . they're not!!! Getting into a routine of walking plus making a couple food adjustments can make you a healthy person that still doesn't look like Paris or all the douches on shows on the CW.

Don't let me discourage you! Not my goal. I'm at least 15 lbs. overweight, but I'm okay with it b/c I walk about 10 miles a week, eat my veggies, and just happen to enjoy cooking as a major hobby of mine, and I feel good. Just a friendly reminder not to judge yourself by TV shows or Music Videos (and I'm not trying to imply that you do that!).

In short, best of luck, and Lord Bless as you continue to help others in this area. Thank you for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sims
Australia
Kangaroo Flat
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
It's a very easy solution for the problem, of course you can mix in and do all of these things and they may deliver somewhat in other sectors but the very short and easy guide to solve your problem is:

Lose weight:
* Eat less.

* Lift heavy.
* Eat more protein.

Become healthier:
* Move around more.

Simple as that, and don't get fooled / focus on the wrong thing for your goal. The direction your weight takes is a function of how much energy you put into your body subtracted by how much energy your body consume. You can waste energy moving around but that most likely feel like much more work on your part than just eating less. You don't have to remove pasta or chocolate or whatever to lose weight, you can just eat less, but of course kale would be more healthy for you than margarine. You don't have to work out or eat more protein but if you do you are more likely to keep or even gain muscle mass while losing fat instead of losing both. You can be fit from eating the right amount, plenty of protein and lifting heavy but still not very healthy due to poor food choices and lack of movement outside of the gym.

Personally I would prefer to compare for the same energy amount, not the same weight or the same volume.

Thank you for your lengthy input. Whilst factual it misses the real point of the matter. There is a reason people who are over weight eat more than they should and it is very, very rarely simple gluttony. almost always it is rooted in some psychological connection between food and reward, acceptance, love, comfort... etc., etc. the battle of weight loss is fought here.

The simplistic approach of 'well just eat less then' is one of the reasons over weight people are reticent to come forward and discuss their problems. We know the energy maths, it's not rocket science.

Our fight is with inner demons and the ability to openly discuss these issues with people that understand just may be the help we need to put the maths into action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:

The solution is "simple" as in "not complex" (we can all understand the basic theory involved), but it is anything but easy. If it was easy then you'd hardly ever see any overweight people but clearly this is not the case.

Hey, lifting a car is simple too. You just grab it and elevate it over your head. Why can't you do this simple thing? What part of it don't you understand?

I too struggle with weight issues. Most of my mother's side of the family do (genetic factors are clearly at work here) and all of us pretty much always will.

If the dog works/helps, then maybe a baby will help too. We're getting one of those in a couple of months and I'll probably be spending a lot of time chasing him around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Lacson
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
aliquis wrote:

Losing weight for people is NOT easy and is NOT simple. Weight is also a function of genetics.

Making it sound simple and easy implies that people are foolish and lazy for not losing weight - not a helpful message to send, especially to someone who was brave enough to post about his struggles with weight.

dboeren wrote:
The solution is "simple" as in "not complex" (we can all understand the basic theory involved), but it is anything but easy. If it was easy then you'd hardly ever see any overweight people but clearly this is not the case.
Very true.

I don't consider myself overweight, but I'm definitely not as fit as I used to be. If you think losing weight and getting in shape is easy, then you've obviously never seriously tried.

It's called working out for a reason. It's work...a lot of work...a lot of painful, horrible, shitty work. It takes a lot of dedication and commiment to willingly and continually break your body down, day after day after day.

In the end, yes it's a simple concept. But, actually getting it done isn't so simple.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Twitt
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Eating less" is an oversimplified solution. Scientifically, the only secret to losing weight is to consume fewer calories than your body burns at rest however even that is an oversimplified solution. Your metabolism, age, and genetics play a huge role in this and it must be carefully monitored. Every pound you lose reduces your metabolic rate meaning you must consume less. Eat too few calories and your body thinks it's starving and will burn easy energy while storing fat. Exercise increases your metabolic rate which, ironically, means you have to take in more calories to avoid "starving" your body.

I'm ashamed to admit I put on a lot of weight after the military. I've always been a large guy and while I've retained my muscle mass I'm definitely getting flabbier and slower. I used to run 3 miles in full gear, boots and all. Motivation is the biggest mental barrier to exercise but my friend lost 100lbs last year and I can't let that jerk be slimmer than me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marathon Man
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
Obesity is a major disease in our society which can be cured. You have to make an entire lifestyle change, both physically and mentally, with the emphasis on mental strength. You have to look at food as an energy source and not a pleasure source. Diet and exercise is paramount in this change and must be looked at as a tandum experience. The first thing I tell someone when they ask me about health is to stop smoking (if you do), stop eating fast food and drinking soda and to get a good pair of running/walking shoes. You may have asked yourself, why do people ask me about health and I have to say because I live the lifestyle. I set tough goals, like running a 3 hour marathon and I accomplish it. Running has helped me with everything in my life, it's healthy, social, competative and gives me a ton of confidence and self worth. Going to the gym is also important to gain muscle, but do not lift heavy, just do a lot of reps and get your heart rate up for short bursts. Crossfit is a great tool to loose weight. Good luck and drink a lot of water. MM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am fat. I am pretty active, but eat too much. If "eat less" was easy I would already be doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Board Gaming, Always a weighty problemt
Winning board games is simple too. Just score more points then your oppenants. Of course, it is not that easy, but easy to say when you have never sat at a board with experienced gamers. I was over 200 at 16, constantly struggle, as adult have never been below 220. Weight loss doctors will tell you there is a lot going on in weight that they do not know yet. It is like playing a game where the rules are not clear. In the past 9monthz I am down 50, and amstill obese. In fact I still have 100 to loose, so please do not act like you know the magic solution. If you have not fought this battle, you do not know. For some people the rolls never seem to come right...
aliquis wrote:

Lose weight:
* Eat less.

* Lift heavy.
* Eat more protein.

Become healthier:
* Move around more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
I am fat. I am pretty active, but eat too much. If "eat less" was easy I would already be doing it.

amen, brother! i make sure to walk 10 miles or so a week, but i struggle with my appetite. plus i love cooking. at this point my goal is basically to have good cardio, good health, keep cooking a wide variety of foods, and live with the extra 15 lbs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Walters

Peninsula
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We run an organic farm. Lots of activity and lots of nutrinent dense food... we are both fat, both have been sine puberty and we both have siblings who ate the same food we did as kids who ended up skinny... we just REALLY like good healthy food... too much. LOL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Rockford
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody tries to start one of these groups like every 6-12 months (including myself) and it always, always fails.

But here's hoping the ____th attempt is the charm!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't matter how simple the concept is, putting it into action is the tough part. I, too, benefitted from getting a dog. I got the dog because I wanted one; getting exercise from walking her was not something I had considered beforehand.

I will give anyone who carries more weight around the middle a huge tip. Substitute high fiber and whole grains for ALL carbohydrates in your diet and cut out ALL the sugar you possibly can. It takes some getting used to but you can do it. This means no white potatoes, no white rice, no white bread, no regular pasta, etc.

Taste is paramount for me, so everything I eat has to taste delicious. It took some experimenting but I have been successful. Besides the dietary changes, 2 one mile walks a day with the dog and 2-3 twenty-minute sessions of working with weights weekly has worked wonders for my weight, my feet, my knees, my back and my emotional health. Oh, and my cholesterol, too. (I lost 70 lbs.)

If you can't walk outside, you might like Leslie Sansone's walking tapes. They're pretty inexpensive, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sims
Australia
Kangaroo Flat
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:
Somebody tries to start one of these groups like every 6-12 months (including myself) and it always, always fails.

If the folks who want to join and share, if we accept it is a long term thing and some will come and some will go, if it helps just one person, it is a success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old Gamer
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadoglare wrote:

Well, it always fails until it works.

I made n (where n is an embarrassingly large number) attempts to quit smoking. Only one succeeded, but that was enough.

To anyone hoping to lose weight: good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Mountain
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I've lost 60lbs from my peak ... I ate less, exercised more and improved the quality of my food.

It was hard and confusing at first ... kinda like I was stepping blindfolded into the unknown .... but once I worked it out it has actually become quite easy to stay slim and in shape.

I plan to run my first marathon in April.

Best of luck to the others on here who are trying to lose weight and get into shape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
^...^ ALIEN ^...^
United States
Mcqueeney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too struggle with my weight, currently about 30lbs over, but I have been working on ways both to eat less and exercise more.

One of the best things I did was give up soda(Mountain Dew). I would consume 2 to 3 cans a day and was quite hooked. I went through nasty withdrawals for two days when I quit. Now, I don't miss it, and I feel better. I have more energy, and I don't suffer form sugar crash.

I did not give up soda for my health though, I did it to be able to buy more board games. In the end my desire for exploring more games won over drinking some sugary drink. And my health benefits, so win-win.

David, best of luck to your healthy endeavors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
Malta
Marsalforn
Gozo, Malta
flag msg tools
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't want to start battle of the diets war or anything, but if you're genuinely interested in losing weight, cut the carbs. 2 years ago, I was heading towards full on obesity. When I hit 250lbs one day, I decided enough is enough, and started researching what I could do about it. For YEARS, I'd tried eating restraint and exercise, but to no avail. The best I could ever do was maintain a holding pattern which would eventually break down and the weight would start again.

But after reading Good Calories, Bad Calories, I switched to low carb eating, and the pounds came off like gangbusters. In 6 months, I'd lost 60 pounds, and I've been able to keep it off easily ever since. This is with no regular exercise, mind, because if I'm honest, I HATE exercise. HATE HATE HATE it.

My diet is comprised almost entirely of a wide assortment of meat, dairy eggs and vegetables. I don't miss bread or pasta in the slightest... we mostly use veg in place of that as "filler" for our meat sauces. We do all of our cooking with butter and fat collected from our meat dishes, no vegetable oils, no grains, very little sweets. I have ice cream maybe once or twice a week, and more often have an apple or blueberries with home whipped cream for desert. All of our health markers have improved, I've been regular, and I've easily stayed at around 195 (I'm 6'3", 42 years old) all this time.

If you want to know why this works to well, there's a ton of books on Paleo dieting you could read, and there's also a good documentary called Fathead (can get it on Netflix or Amazon) that goes into the particulars of the biochemstry of it -- how "calories in, calories out" is an overly simplified model of how our bodies actually process food, how 60 years of misinformation from public health officials is wrong about saturated fat and has led to the current health and obesity epidemics, etc. I won't go into all of that here, I've found it tends to lead to flame wars. If you're interested, the information it out there, or you can geekmail me directly for more info if you lke.

I just wanted to say that I know where you're coming from, I've been there myself, and there is a real, effective, and most importantly doable way to solve it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had the luck of never being overweight, but I want to share with you a thing I saw with my own eyes. I have a friend who weighed around 120 kg (what's that, 240 pounds?) or thereabouts. Obviously at a point he felt that "god damn it!" and started going. I went to Japan for 4 months. When I came back, two thirds of my pal was left. He had gone down to 80 kilos, that's 40 kilos in FOUR MONTHS.

What had he done? If I remember correctly:
1) Limited overly food with creamy sauces (he loves those) to 3 times a week.
2) Oatmeat porridge for lunch every day. I believe he hates oatmeal porridge.
3) Biking to and from work. Every day. He had 20 kilometers single trip.

This is the only case of diet and weight loss from among the people I know, that I know about, thus it's the best tip I can give: Oatmeal porridge and a lot of workout. It worked like hell for him.

(Then when he got married and got kids, he got a bit lazy and much of the kilos came back. The problem is to change your lifestyle - for life).

Anyway, good luck! Not much more I can say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
Just what is it that you want to do? We wanna be free. We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. And we wanna play games. And we wanna have a good time. That's what we're gonna do. We're gonna have a good time. We're gonna have a party!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have dieted off and on and am often not happy with my weight. It seems like its a matter of momentum. When you are eating what you want it's like you are chasing a very heavy boulder as it rolls down a hill. If you can get behind the boulder, stop it, get your footing, and finally keep on pushing then things can work out. The problem is jumping in front of the moving boulder is intimidating and getting the needed momentum to push it up the hill without letting go (and watching it roll down again) is really really hard.

That analogy captures the problem for me and I don't think that I have nearly as much of a problem with it as many do.

Controlling eating and consistently working out are both quite challenging. Like many things it can be simple and seems simple but something about it is very very not simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.