$10.00
Recommend
26 
 Thumb up
 Hide
80 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: How would you build a "complete" wargame collection with the fewest games possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be a variant/combination of a number of things that people have stated already.

Pick a number of games (100 games, 50 games, 25 games, whatever).

Decide whether you want variety (scale; tactical, operational, strategic plus a specific period/genre; ancient, classical, mediaeval, renaissance, Napoleonic, Victorian, First World War, Second World War, Cold War, Modern, Sci-fi) or a narrow focus (as Michael Dorosh suggests).

Try to build a collection based on that limit.

For example: the Top 50 Strategic East Front Games.

Or, less specific, The 100 Best Wargames Which Represent the Widest Mix of Scales, Systems and Genres.

Or the 25 Most Innovative Wargames

usw

I am trying to build a game collection (including both Euros and Wargames) which has 100 games (not including expansions, or games which I am only keeping for my children) which has the "best" (in my estimation) example of each general type of game - strategic area control, Mediaeval worker placement, Renaissance-era produce and ship, etc. As better games emerge, or games become "dull", I purge games from my collection to make room for the new. I keep some games which may not be the best example of their type but I enjoy personally.

A subset of that general collection is my more specific collection of Second World War and Modern tactical squad- and platoon-level games, which is my primary interest in wargaming.

I am currently considering collecting wargames which pertain specifically to the Canadian combat experience, ranging from Quebec 1759 to 1812: The Invasion of Canada to Canadian Crucible. At the moment, though I've reached a saturation point of my shelf space, so I would have to divest myself of some Euros to do so.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
Rog. wrote:
Since my checkbook isn't currently empty, and I don't have any games on order right now, my collection is complete for me. My pre-orders will make my complete collection more complete when they arrive. cool


you get my thumb just for a brisco county avatar
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
My suggestion would be a variant/combination of a number of things that people have stated already.

Pick a number of games (100 games, 50 games, 25 games, whatever).



Oh, I did so. I picked 555

My wife thinks I'm crazy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
Kozure wrote:
My suggestion would be a variant/combination of a number of things that people have stated already.

Pick a number of games (100 games, 50 games, 25 games, whatever).



Oh, I did so. I picked 555

My wife thinks I'm crazy.


My wife thinks I am crazy whatever the number.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Bohne
Germany
Duisburg
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
Alphawolf wrote:
Kozure wrote:
My suggestion would be a variant/combination of a number of things that people have stated already.

Pick a number of games (100 games, 50 games, 25 games, whatever).



Oh, I did so. I picked 555

My wife thinks I'm crazy.


My wife thinks I am crazy whatever the number.


I like to think that it's part of the attraction...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.