Subject: Power Grid Setup and Start Locations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Clark
United Kingdom
Tetbury
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
OK. So, I don't know if I'm being thick or not but the Power Grid boards seem somewhat biased on starting locations.

I've had, what I think is, a thorough search of the forums to see if I can shed some light on it and I haven't found anything (obviously after reading the rule book a million times).
So, I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this in their game play? Am I playing it wrong? Perhaps misinterpreting the rules? Am I just making a big deal out of nothing?
No matter how we play, 9 times out of 10, the player(s) that start in the Red/Green district(s) of the original board come out on top and the player(s) that start in the rest trail all the way through the game.

I hope we're doing something wrong because it turns the game into a coin toss as to where people start and then an all knowing slog out to an inevitable end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be in the powergrid rules forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember that multiple players can start in the same regions. My first game (US map) saw the same problem with my brother being stuck out west. Then when I re-read the rules, it turns out that anyone is allowed to start in any region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clark
United Kingdom
Tetbury
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Military Muskrat wrote:

Sorry, kinda new. blush Where is that? Should I re-post there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clark
United Kingdom
Tetbury
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
willythesnitch wrote:
Remember that multiple players can start in the same regions. My first game (US map) saw the same problem with my brother being stuck out west. Then when I re-read the rules, it turns out that anyone is allowed to start in any region.

Surely all that leads to is someone being pinned in until you can expand onto someone else city later into the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
firefeenix wrote:
Military Muskrat wrote:

An admin should probably come and redirect it. Just remember any rules questions should go into the forums for that particular game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clark
United Kingdom
Tetbury
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Military Muskrat wrote:
firefeenix wrote:
Military Muskrat wrote:

An admin should probably come and redirect it. Just remember any rules questions should go into the forums for that particular game.

OK.

Firstly, sorry for a pointless post.
On the other hand, this has pointed me in the direction of the information I needed.
Also, I learned many things
This can be deleted/locked now if required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Military Muskrat wrote:
firefeenix wrote:
Military Muskrat wrote:

For future reference, the forum for Power Grid is here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2651/power-grid#forums

All games have a forum page which can be found if you go to the game's main page and scroll down to the forums section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone can start their network in any unoccupied city (not region, city). So taking the US map for example, in a 4-player game, you might very well have 2-3 people starting on the eastern half of the map and 1 person starting out west.

Basically, players fighting over the cheap real estate should help even things out as compared to the player(s) in the expensive area(s) having no real competition. And of course, when Step 2 (and again Step 3) hits, then the free-for-all for cheap land starts all over again.

Starting position is important, which is one of the reasons the cheapest power plants are worth buying, so you have first shot at a cheap place to start. But it's far from the most important thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clark
United Kingdom
Tetbury
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
Shadowen wrote:
For future reference, the forum for Power Grid is here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2651/power-grid#forums

All games have a forum page which can be found if you go to the game's main page and scroll down to the forums section.

Thanks

One of the things I have learnt today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sybrwookie wrote:
Anyone can start their network in any unoccupied city (not region, city). So taking the US map for example, in a 4-player game, you might very well have 2-3 people starting on the eastern half of the map and 1 person starting out west.

Basically, players fighting over the cheap real estate should help even things out as compared to the player(s) in the expensive area(s) having no real competition. And of course, when Step 2 (and again Step 3) hits, then the free-for-all for cheap land starts all over again.

Starting position is important, which is one of the reasons the cheapest power plants are worth buying, so you have first shot at a cheap place to start. But it's far from the most important thing.

And my experience is the person who has the least competition for an area has a big leg up. Starting in an area with low connection costs is going to be a sure way to find yourself in stiff competition for the connections with other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Clark
United Kingdom
Tetbury
Gloucestershire
flag msg tools
This is all starting to make a great deal of sense.
Now dying to get a game on the go but instead I have to go to bed for an early start in the morning.
Thanks so much everyone. I shall be more careful next time with my post placement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thread moved to Power Grid» Forums » Rules

Also please look at the Power Grid FAQ, it is full of useful information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.