Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am still figuring out this game, but obviously a lot has to do with the importance you place on the various action spaces. The first turn you can:

Build Cages (x2)
Build Add-on
Get a Baby Pet (x2)
Get Older Pet
Get Treasure
Get Meat
Get Veggies and Meat
Get Veggies
Get Potion
Invite a single relative

(Not amazing in round one but a potentially cheap action)
Put imp(s) on podium (for way later in the game...)

The other action that moves you along the inner score track is useless in round one and is not considered here.

If I ignore placing imp(s) on the podium that leaves 12 actions available, and let's pretend that all players get 3 actions each, and execute those actions in player order 3 times (obviously not a likely situation but bear with me).

If you had to classify the actions available in order of importance in the first round, which spaces do you see being taken first to last? My feeling is the following but I wanted to know what others thought or have seen happen in their games. Obviously this order could change depending on what pets/cages are available, but I'm trying to collect some general thoughts.

P1 - Get older pet
P2 - Get baby pet
P3 - Get baby pet
P4 - Get treasures
P1 - Get Cage
P2 - Get Cage
P3 - Get Add-on
P4 - Get food (Meat + Veggies presumably)
P1 - Get food
P2 - Get food
P3 - Invite relative
P4 - Get potion

Finally someone probably claims the podium with a group of one imp.

This is all based upon the assumption that you want to get pets as early and often as possible. Clearly you need both pets and a cage for your next pet to achieve this end, so those go first. And the treasures are just incredibly powerful, so we usually see those go pretty fast as well. Ultimately I think an ideal first round sees you getting a pet, a cage and some food. In the first round the relatives and hospital seem weak, and usually go last.

What have you seen in your games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Van Beurden
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Often a baby pet will be better than the old pet, you cannot simply declare old pet as better than young pet (e.g. fairy as old pet, fairy is always horror; baby pets that are much better suited to the upcoming buyer & exhibition etc etc). Taking a cage > taking the treasures normally and should be the action for the player without a pet. Invite relative, even turn 1, is again a lot better than meat or vegetables, which you might not even need if you have or will have playful angry magical creatures (who do not eat) or might be the wrong kind, or you might even have the cage/addon that provides food. Get potion is also a good action IMO and perhaps better than the (perishable) food. I would put Get Potion higher than meat (as it goes bad quickly) and probably higher than the mix of meat & veggies...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds about right, but I prefer add-ons and cages over most treasures. Also, I'll prioritize certain cages (free play, poo, food) over pets (unless there's a pet that matches up perfectly with a round 3 seller).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cages are often more important that a pet on turn 1. I have seen countless times, a player win who didnt get a pet in turn 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kory Stevens
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would certainly put potion above getting relative, and this is especially true if the second round exhibition is one where variety of cards is rewarded. As far as pets being taken first, it depends if the pets match the coming exhibition/customer, pets that don't match will have to be held onto before being sold, and that can get expensive, but a perfect match can be worth bidding 5 on. If the pets don't match whats coming, I would rather get a cage first (you are going to need them eventually, and there are only 2 a round).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Logan
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
We started one game with the Worker of the Month and Magic Armor as the starting artifacts. I grab them immediately and I would do that almost every time.

(So basically, some artifacts are more worthwhile)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:

Ha, in the 3p game I played this week I got the Whip in turn 1 and that 0.5 paid off in at least 4 of the 5 exhibitions. It was hilarious.

Of course, I also got the older pet; I bid heavy, what with the first exhibition being the one for most different needs, and this was a multi-color pet, and the second exhibition ended up being most different colors. I ended up needing a performance > 0 in the final "best shop" exhibition to get a score of 100, and, thanks to some last-second shoveling, I had 1 critter + 4 cages + 1 add-on - 6 poop = 1 pt. Beautiful game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Purcell
Canada
Kanata
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
We started one game with the Worker of the Month and Magic Armor as the starting artifacts. I grab them immediately and I would do that almost every time.

Was that on the first two turns. It was my understanding that you could only take one artifact a turn so the other would get dumped on restocking. At least that is the way we played it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
kurt_purcell wrote:
Was that on the first two turns. It was my understanding that you could only take one artifact a turn so the other would get dumped on restocking. At least that is the way we played it.

Rulebook wrote:
When you choose the artifact buying action space, take both artifacts and put them in the Artifact Storage section of your Burrow Board

Emphasis theirs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Rogers
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've lost 3 games in a row since getting the game and I think it's because I'm too excited just to get pets and keep them happy rather than trying to get pets/cages suited to the upcoming buyers and exhibitions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Adamson
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As others have pointed out, there is just so much variability in this game that you can't really rank the options without seeing what's available and what's needed for the later rounds...

Also, keep in mind what the people who have picked before you are going to need. If you could use that same thing, but they really need it, consider grabbing it before they can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurt, you get both Relics/Magic Items. Good deal huh? wow

Why would a greedy little Imp only take one. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the potion more useful than inviting a single relative.
And the food is only necessary if your pet is going to eat... some eat very little. And if it wants to eat out of the blue, just use the potion instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.