7 Posts

A Few Acres of Snow» Forums » Strategy

Subject: The importance of Tres Rivieres rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Taylor

Washington DC
msg tools
New to this game, just started playing on Yucata.

I'm playing the French, and the British just sacked Tres Rivieres, but didn't settle it. I didn't worry about it too much (other than the fact that my opponent can do that indicates I've pretty much already lost), until I realized that I can't resettle it.

Trois Rivieres is the only connection to the Canadian interior, so supply is cut off to all the Western provinces. Hence Quebec is the only active connection to Trois Rivieres. But Quebec is also the only settler card the French has, unless he's bought settlers. Hence a stack full of useless cards in your deck, and no settlement possible. That really stinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
Was that you I just played? I thought it was pretty odd that you fortified Tadoussac instead of 3 Rivers. Also, French can't really win without a settler. Settling is too slow and causes you to fill up your hand with junk. But if you buy a settler early, you can develop our pretty rapidly, and it doesn't crowd your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's a critical point for the French. I've proposed removing the Louisbourg connection to it because I think it's both too deadly and, from what others have suggested, an improbable connection historically:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/758481/louisbourg-connec...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor

Washington DC
msg tools
Yeah, that was me. Didn't have Tres Rivieres in my hand at the time. Basically was trying to cycle through my hand looking for my raiders. Unless France goes military she gets stuck with a lot of low-level trapping locations that are ONLY useful if you have a trader in your hand. Hence you need two traders in your deck to give yourself a chance of trading each turn. Probably three, if there were say a neutral trader available. I wonder whether it would improve the chance of Britain or France more if the max hand size was increased to six.

Also, is there a way in Yucata to view any recorded games from any perspective - i.e. could I go through a list of your recorded games seeing what you did from your perspective?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
farsider3000 wrote:
Yeah, that was me. Didn't have Tres Rivieres in my hand at the time. Basically was trying to cycle through my hand looking for my raiders. Unless France goes military she gets stuck with a lot of low-level trapping locations that are ONLY useful if you have a trader in your hand. Hence you need two traders in your deck to give yourself a chance of trading each turn. Probably three, if there were say a neutral trader available. I wonder whether it would improve the chance of Britain or France more if the max hand size was increased to six.

You're going down the wrong path - you want fewer cards in your deck, not more.

Quote:
Also, is there a way in Yucata to view any recorded games from any perspective - i.e. could I go through a list of your recorded games seeing what you did from your perspective?

Click on ranking, then sub your username with the user you want to stalk. Here's mine:

http://www.yucata.de/en/Ranking/out4brits - for playing French and Random
http://www.yucata.de/en/Ranking/out4blood - for playing mostly British
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean Gagnier
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just for accuracy's sake, it's Trois-Rivières. Tres is Spanish, trois is French.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the same strategy yesterday, albeit a little different. I settled and governed my way to Ticonderoga, while fighting sieges on Permaquid. Then I started raiding Montreal, 3Riviere and quebec from there, then I took Port Royal to gain 12 points worth of cubes and won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.