Recommend
7 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Kingdoms» Forums » General

Subject: Already Have Beowulf, Is Kingdoms That Much Different? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Laszlo Molnar
Hungary
Budapest
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have only 1 tile to "choose from" in Kingdoms, but apart from that, rules are the same, with a smaller variety of tiles and boards. (and you can't take tiles from the previous round to the next round with you).
The reason why I prefer Kingdoms over Beowulf is that it's far less random and more balanced. With the given set of tiles it's much easier to plan ahead.
But I like both; right now I own Beowulf and played Kingdoms a few times; I'm going to buy the new edition soon.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacxox wrote:
You have only 1 tile to "choose from" in Kingdoms, but apart from that, rules are the same, with a smaller variety of tiles and boards. (and you can't take tiles from the previous round to the next round with you).
The reason why I prefer Kingdoms over Beowulf is that it's far less random and more balanced. With the given set of tiles it's much easier to plan ahead.
But I like both; right now I own Beowulf and played Kingdoms a few times; I'm going to buy the new edition soon.


Thank you, that is very helpful information! It seems like drawing and playing only one tile at a time would make this a quite different experience. I'm strongly considering Kingdoms, will probably buy it when I have some extra cash.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Valle del Kas
Madrid
flag msg tools
All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost
mbmbmbmbmb
lacxox wrote:
You have only 1 tile to "choose from" in Kingdoms, but apart from that, rules are the same, with a smaller variety of tiles and boards. (and you can't take tiles from the previous round to the next round with you).
The reason why I prefer Kingdoms over Beowulf is that it's far less random and more balanced. With the given set of tiles it's much easier to plan ahead.
But I like both; right now I own Beowulf and played Kingdoms a few times; I'm going to buy the new edition soon.


Me too

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have owned both games but eventually sold Beowulf. Well, I sold Kingdoms, too, but that was only because I wanted the new edition with the plastic castles - something that I had suggested to FFG long ago.

I really liked the different boards in Beowulf, but that was the only thing they did right. The game is much more random, with positive tiles that may be replaced with negative ones, and at least one downright broken tile. Having a hand of tiles is another bad idea, because you can keep the more powerful ones to use at the right time for maximum benefit/damage.

Kingdoms is much better balanced and offers much more control. You always have the same tile set and it's easy to know the tiles (two of each positive number, one of each negative number, two mountains, one gold mine, one dragon), so that you know which tiles are left and can take your chances accordingly. There is no switching, moving or replacing stuff, although the dragon may often be pretty nasty. The only thing I really dislike, indeed, is that the single tile you draw at the start of each round to place in any of your future turns can be any tile, including the dragon.

In short, Kingdoms is a fine design from Knizia. Beowulf is that design raped by some random guy at FFG.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
I have owned both games but eventually sold Beowulf. Well, I sold Kingdoms, too, but that was only because I wanted the new edition with the plastic castles - something that I had suggested to FFG long ago.

I really liked the different boards in Beowulf, but that was the only thing they did right. The game is much more random, with positive tiles that may be replaced with negative ones, and at least one downright broken tile. Having a hand of tiles is another bad idea, because you can keep the more powerful ones to use at the right time for maximum benefit/damage.

Kingdoms is much better balanced and offers much more control. You always have the same tile set and it's easy to know the tiles (two of each positive number, one of each negative number, two mountains, one gold mine, one dragon), so that you know which tiles are left and can take your chances accordingly. There is no switching, moving or replacing stuff, although the dragon may often be pretty nasty. The only thing I really dislike, indeed, is that the single tile you draw at the start of each round to place in any of your future turns can be any tile, including the dragon.

In short, Kingdoms is a fine design from Knizia. Beowulf is that design raped by some random guy at FFG.


Please think long and hard about using terms like "raped" for board games. Real people actually get raped, including a dear, dear friend of mine. I write this comment knowing that it, too, will be offensive, but I feel justified in writing it.

Totally (but respectfully) disagree about Beowulf. That game is money! I actually like the idea of owning both games b/c, ultimately, they sound like similar yet very distinct games that present their own set of challenges and strategies.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
Please think long and hard about using terms like "raped" for board games.

I think it's the first time I did, but I will use the word again if I think it will properly express the idea I want to communicate. Sorry for your friend, but it's not my fault if you are oversensitive about the use of a word.

Quote:
Totally (but respectfully) disagree about Beowulf. That game is money! I actually like the idea of owning both games

Good for you!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
foxfan wrote:
Please think long and hard about using terms like "raped" for board games.

I think it's the first time I did, but I will use the word again if I think it will properly express the idea I want to communicate. Sorry for your friend, but it's not my fault if you are oversensitive about the use of a word.

Quote:
Totally (but respectfully) disagree about Beowulf. That game is money! I actually like the idea of owning both games

Good for you!


Whatever you say.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...game pleasure in wood
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foxfan wrote:
GSReis wrote:
I have owned both games but eventually sold Beowulf. Well, I sold Kingdoms, too, but that was only because I wanted the new edition with the plastic castles - something that I had suggested to FFG long ago.

I really liked the different boards in Beowulf, but that was the only thing they did right. The game is much more random, with positive tiles that may be replaced with negative ones, and at least one downright broken tile. Having a hand of tiles is another bad idea, because you can keep the more powerful ones to use at the right time for maximum benefit/damage.

Kingdoms is much better balanced and offers much more control. You always have the same tile set and it's easy to know the tiles (two of each positive number, one of each negative number, two mountains, one gold mine, one dragon), so that you know which tiles are left and can take your chances accordingly. There is no switching, moving or replacing stuff, although the dragon may often be pretty nasty. The only thing I really dislike, indeed, is that the single tile you draw at the start of each round to place in any of your future turns can be any tile, including the dragon.

In short, Kingdoms is a fine design from Knizia. Beowulf is that design raped by some random guy at FFG.


Please think long and hard about using terms like "raped" for board games. Real people actually get raped, including a dear, dear friend of mine. I write this comment knowing that it, too, will be offensive, but I feel justified in writing it.


From http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rape:


rape
1    [reyp] Show IPA noun, verb, raped, rap·ing.

noun
1. the unlawful compelling of a person through physical force or duress to have sexual intercourse.

2. any act of sexual intercourse that is forced upon a person.

3. statutory rape.

4. an act of plunder, violent seizure, or abuse; despoliation; violation: the rape of the countryside.

5. Archaic . the act of seizing and carrying off by force.

Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
2009 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins
Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we all know that meaning #2 from the highly esteemed dictionary[dot]reference[dot]com is by far the most prevalent usage of this word at this time. Can we at least agree that it's not a word to be used flippantly or carelessly? But thanks for the post, though it's several months late. Welcome to BGG.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.