Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a couple of crazy thoughts:

1. Can you completely swap the 24 regular beige buildings with the 24 New Buildings from the expansion? Does the game remain balanced?

2. What about using 12 different buildings from the basic game + 12 new buildings from the expansion? They could be paired according to cost and value and put on the board. Players can choose either of the two variant buildings but can only purchase 1 building with the same cost/value (2 in case of buildings that cost 2, 5 and 8). Has anybody tried playing this way? Am I mad?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GabrielGeek wrote:
Just a couple of crazy thoughts:

1. Can you completely swap the 24 regular beige buildings with the 24 New Buildings from the expansion? Does the game remain balanced?

2. What about using 12 different buildings from the basic game + 12 new buildings from the expansion? They could be paired according to cost and value and put on the board. Players can choose either of the two variant buildings but can only purchase 1 building with the same cost/value (2 in case of buildings that cost 2, 5 and 8). Has anybody tried playing this way? Am I mad?

There's an official variant the the original rulebook for the expansion (don't know if it's in the Anniversary rulebook) that you play with all of the buildings, but only 1 of each. It's our groups preferred way. I haven't tried using the new buildings exclusively.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the Anniversary rulebook doesn't mention a variant with all buildings. Is the original rulebook of the expansion available for download somewhere?

EDIT: I found it on the Rio Grande Games website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm assuming you're talking about the new buildings from the first expansion only here. There are also new building from the second expansion, but those are intended to be used alongside whatever selection of buildings is drafted from the base + first expansion. Also, there are more than 24 buildings...are you not counting the large 10-cost buildings here?

My group generally does the regular draft style for the base + first expansion, although occasionally we do a ban-draft or a mixed choice of "pick one" or "ban one" on your turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriele Pezzato
Italy
Padova
PD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For my group the best option turned out to be a random setup. We ended up using a bag (we used the one found in Survive: Escape from Atlantis!, since we can't find any use for that with Survive), where we put all the beige buildings of the base game and first expansion (small and large). We then draw one building at a time and place it on the board according to its cost:

1 4 7 10

2 5 8 10

2 5 8 10

3 6 9 10

Of course the second copy of a building is placed on top of the first one and the remaining building(s) with the same cost is/are discarded when drawn out.
We also pay attention that office and trading post (both having cost 5) are not in the same game, so when one is drawn out, it is placed on the board, while the other one is discarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Vecstric
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm amazed that Gabrieles variant wasn't included the rulebook actually.

It seems to be the best way to "force" players that are new to the expansions to go out of their comfort-zone and try out some of the new buildings.

I guess this is the variant I will start playing the expansions with.

Later, when having learned/tried the buildings in a few games, reduce the randomness and increase the strategy/tactics/Anal-paral and do the official rules with choosing buildings before game instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.