Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I have to admit that one part of this game that I'm still haven't a very hard time "getting a grasp of" is the whole VP system. I remember reading somewhere that it worked in multiple's of "3", but for the life of me, I still don't "get it".

Looking at the VP track, I see Strategic Value +1/+2 current side along the top AND bottom of the upper and lower tracks, as well as 0 in the middle track. Am I correct in assuming that no markers are ever placed in the "strategic value" rows, but they are there to tell you where the VP marker is placed in the middle "VP Box" row???

So initially the Allies start (1939 scenario) at 1 VP on the Allied Crusade side (presumably for Metz, right?). Lets assume Germany takes out Poland before the winter '39 Seasonal Phase, netting them Warsaw and Posen - but since those are German Victory cities, there'll be no net change to the VP marker.

Q1) If the Soviets play their historical "demand Finnish borderlands" card, does the Allied Crusade VP marker result in a -1 drm to their political event die roll? Seems like it would, right? Rules (1.1.2.1) say to apply the DRM during option card segment and political event segment, right - and that is when the Soviets make their roll?

So lets say the Soviets hold off on making their demand until summer '40, giving the Germans the time to grab D-N during spring '40, which adds Oslo to cancel out Metz. But what happens to the VP marker? Does it just slide to the 0 box, but stays on Allied Crusade? I think so, right?

So now when the Soviets issue a demand (Bessarabia or Balkans, for instance), there is no longer a -1 DRM to the die roll, right?

Ok...so lets say France and Belgium fall in summer '40, this moves the VP marker an additional +2 (Brussels and Paris) and -(-1) (Metz) to +3 Axis, placing the marker in the "1 VP" box with the Axis tide??? Or does it get placed in the 3 VP box, since Axis have +3 above? I'm thinking the "+3" is "+3 strategic hexes", which means only the "1 VP" marker...not "3 VP", right?

And, for arguments sake, lets say Paris held out through Autumn '40, then the Axis would only have +2 (Brussels and reclaimed Metz), which would have left the VP marker in the 0 box...but would it stay on Allied Crusade? OR switch to Axis tide?

I'm soo confused ;-).

-K
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Melrose
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Looking at the VP track, I see Strategic Value +1/+2 current side along the top AND bottom of the upper and lower tracks, as well as 0 in the middle track. Am I correct in assuming that no markers are ever placed in the "strategic value" rows, but they are there to tell you where the VP marker is placed in the middle "VP Box" row???

That is correct. Off to a good start!

Quote:
So initially the Allies start (1939 scenario) at 1 VP on the Allied Crusade side (presumably for Metz, right?). Lets assume Germany takes out Poland before the winter '39 Seasonal Phase, netting them Warsaw and Posen - but since those are German Victory cities, there'll be no net change to the VP marker.

The Allies do score 1 for Metz once Limited War has begun, so the strat value is -1 (0 (no Axis controlled Allied strat hexes) -1 (1 Allied control hex)), which puts the VP at Allied Crusade 1 (AC1). You are correct regarding Posen and Warsaw.

Quote:
Q1) If the Soviets play their historical "demand Finnish borderlands" card, does the Allied Crusade VP marker result in a -1 drm to their political event die roll? Seems like it would, right? Rules (1.1.2.1) say to apply the DRM during option card segment and political event segment, right - and that is when the Soviets make their roll?

Yes, you have that correct. This makes it more likely the Finns will resist, as they did historically, causing a couple of Soviet step losses. The Soviets get two rolls in Winter 39 (one each turn), so the storyboard has a resist followed by a Ceded Territory.

The political DRM is usually -1 through all of pre-war (if you play that) up until the Axis can get to +1 strat value.

Quote:
So lets say the Soviets hold off on making their demand until summer '40, giving the Germans the time to grab D-N during spring '40, which adds Oslo to cancel out Metz. But what happens to the VP marker? Does it just slide to the 0 box, but stays on Allied Crusade? I think so, right?

Yes, exactly right. The VP marker isn't flipped to Axis Tide until the Axis score enough to get 1VP (+3 or more strat value, in a west-first this is often Oslo, Antwerp, and Paris).

Quote:
So now when the Soviets issue a demand (Bessarabia or Balkans, for instance), there is no longer a -1 DRM to the die roll, right?

Correct

Quote:
Ok...so lets say France and Belgium fall in summer '40, this moves the VP marker an additional +2 (Brussels and Paris) and -(-1) (Metz) to +3 Axis, placing the marker in the "1 VP" box with the Axis tide??? Or does it get placed in the 3 VP box, since Axis have +3 above? I'm thinking the "+3" is "+3 strategic hexes", which means only the "1 VP" marker...not "3 VP", right?

It is placed in the 1vp box with Axis Tide showing. The strat value is +3, as you note.

Quote:
And, for arguments sake, lets say Paris held out through Autumn '40, then the Axis would only have +2 (Brussels and reclaimed Metz), which would have left the VP marker in the 0 box...but would it stay on Allied Crusade? OR switch to Axis tide?

Assuming the Axis had Oslo and Brussels, the VP marker would be in the 0 box. It stays on the Allied Crusade side until the Axis can get +3 or higher strat value, then it moves to 1vp Axis Tide.

Hope that helps!

Edited for clarity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bernatz
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, immensely!

Thanks.

-K

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.