Subject: Seasonality and thin decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Sachs
United States
Williamstown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
In this reply, the poster suggested that the end of the deck felt like seasonality, in particular, winter. That thematic tie-in struck me as an interesting basis to counter thin-deck abuse. What if, when a reshuffle was required, your opponent had the option of reshuffling at that point as well?

Clearly it can help both sides, but on average, it would offer more options to the side with the thicker deck. Depending on what's been played, it may not help the French at critical junctions during a hammer execution.

Another "seasonal" effect could be that on a reshuffle, your opponent chooses one card from your reserve to re-enter your deck (winter attrition, wear and tear, etc). Maybe this is required for the "optional" reshuffle above, maybe not. Again, potentially helps both sides, but on average favors the thicker deck.

One could take that even further by (also) requiring a card from an active siege returned to the discard pile (before? after?) a (required? optional?) reshuffle, adjusting the siege strength appropriately. Yes, a more drastic effect, and could punish the French at a critical point in hammer defense. But I like the thematic tie-in.

Standard disclaimers apply: this is for discussion purposes only, I have not playtested it, yadda yadda. If that causes you knee-jerk reactions, my apologies in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, but if you check out the cross-referenced thread again you will see it was'nt in reference to MWs Home Support change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The knee-jerkers must be masochists if they voluntarily cross the threshold clearly marked "Variants", so don't apologise. You are actually providing them with what they crave.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Williamstown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
Interesting, but if you check out the cross-referenced thread again you will see it was'nt in reference to MWs Home Support change.

Actually the thread was about 2nd edition, though the post wasn't. I edited to avoid the specifics entirely. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
About thin decks and shuffling.....

We are going to start using about ten of the opposing unused location cards to bring the thin deck so randomizing when shuffling is preserved.

I believe around 12 to 15 cards are the minimum to have a good random shuffle.

When the deck is thin it is hard to not know where the cards are regardless of how well you randomize. And having the opponent pick a card or cards from a thin deck is just too time consuming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.