Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Backgammon» Forums » General

Subject: Book Suggestions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A bit of background info here.

I'm by far not an expert at backgammon, at least not for now , but most of the guides available online simply don't offer much to me any longer.

What I guess I'm looking for is some more advanced stuff; I got the opening rolls and responses already well internalized to the point of second nature.

I'm also kind of well read on subjects like when to anchor, when to go for the race, when to cube'em, the probabilities, and generally went as far as the internet got me by playing online and reading.

So, any book recommendations for maybe more mind-set oriented stuff? More than mere mechanical things?

Keep the suggestions coming!

Edit: While I'm at it, why not share it all to get the suggestions on point. My greatest weakness by far is the bearing off, althou I've read plenty, it just doesn't click and seem right.

And btw, althou I would be interested in a cool book, if there are some enlightening online articles which I may have missed, feel free to link em here as well!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M K
Croatia
flag msg tools
A bit background on me: I am an expert/world class player from Croatia and was a Croatian BG champ in 2010.

My 3 recommendations that got me well started in the game are:

Backgammon by Paul Magriel - A thorough introduction to backgammon strategy and tactics, this book is often referred to as "The Bible" of backgammon.

Backgammon Boot Camp by Walter Trice - An excellent complement to Magriel's Backgammon. Like Magriel, Trice's book covers a broad range of topics, giving the reader a solid explanation of the game's fundamental concepts. The book is quite strong in some areas where Magriel is weak, such as the doubling cube. It is a "must have" for any serious student of the game.

501 Essential Backgammon Problems by Bill Robertie - Each of the 31 chapters has an introduction giving general guidelines about a specific area of the game, then follows up with problems illustrating the concepts.

After you read these 3 there are 3-4 more advanced books I could recommend but for now it should be enough I think.

You asked for books but another important suggestion if you want to improve is to download Gnu Backgammon ( http://www.gnubg.org/ ) - it's a free program that plays almost perfect backgammon and will have an edge over any human on the planet over a large number of games or matches. There is even better program called Extreme Gammon but it's not free and it's not much better than GNU. Stick with GNU (it's more than good enough) but if you are willing to pay (I think 50$ or so) Extreme Gammon is great.
Playing online and later analysing your matches and trying to understand mistakes (or playing against GNU with Tutor mode ON) is in my opinion THE BEST way to improve.
Combination of both is probably the best, read the books but play as much as you can and even more importantly analyze your matches with GNU.

The most progress I made was through thorough analysis of my mistakes (with the GNU, and later I bought XG)
Analyzing is never as fun as playing but if you are willing to go through your every played match and see the mistakes that Gnu points out to you, you will be making a very fast progress.

It would also be good if you had a stronger player near you because sometimes (especially while you are still beginner/intermediate) you will not be able to fully understand why a particular move is marked as bad by Gnu. Having someone to explain it to you in words is very helpful.
If you don't have anyone don't hesitate to shoot me a PM or something. I'd be happy to help with any position (or topic) that might bother you. (if I am able to understand it myself, of course, backgammon is a complex game )

Have fun and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
What he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
Plaatsvervangende Schaamte
badge
mbmbmb
Mislav speaks truth.

I used this course and added 200 points to my rating on FIBS very quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to know I have 2 of the 3 books suggested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Well, thank you very much Mislav is all I can say. Got all I wanted to hear in one post!

Will definitly be checking out Gnu, if that doesn't look like a potent learning tool, I don't know what does! meeple

Again, thanks a lot, I'm sure this will propell me years ahead of what I would have normally gotten to by just staying on course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.