Popular Tags: [View All]
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for an easy to increase the difficulty to a moderately difficult amount (think: Ghost Stories, normal difficulty) that doesn't involve a lot of changes to the rules. What have you had the most success with?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/720967/remove-unless-con...

Simple and effective.

Also, don't allow purchasing of Elder Signs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/720967/remove-unless-con...

Simple and effective.

Also, don't allow purchasing of Elder Signs.

So this makes the final battle more likely, but if the boss is still easy to defeat, isn't the game still easy?

I may be missing something here, I haven't actually played the game yet, it's currently on it's way here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
My group has come up with a few theoretical solutions to increasing the difficulty of the game:

1. Each turn advances the clock 5 hours instead of 3. This will cause midnight to occur more often.

2. Each midnight causes two mythos cards to be turned over at once. This means two immediate effects occur, and two lingering effects last for the day. Depending on how play-testing goes, this might be combined with option one.

3. When you collect the correct number of elder signs, the Ancient One immediately awakens, and you must battle it. The advantage of waking it up early is that it won't have its full compliment of doom tokens. This also has the appealing effect of giving every game a more dynamic ending. Obviously, this option can't be used with Azathoth.

4. No first aid. This makes the game much more lethal, because stamina- and sanity-recovery would then only be available from items and a couple of character abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you want to avoid changing the rules too much, simply change the amount by which you put forward the clock each time. After all, there's no real reason why it should be 3 hours -- it's a completely arbitrary amount. If it's too easy, change it! cool

I've tried 5 hours (which made the game much, much harder!) and 4 hours (which seemed to work pretty well, though it was still a bit easy with some GOOs).

I also don't allow the purchase of the final elder sign for the win; you have to earn that one. Not because it's too easy, just that it's really anticlimactic to win the game with ... a purchase at the entrance! yuk

If you like, you could disallow purchase of elder signs altogether. That would make the game a little more difficult, but not by much.

ETA: Also, the game is easier with fewer investigators. You might want to adjust the speed of the clock for number of players. With only 2 players, it might be worth moving it 6 hours at a time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played for the first time last night. The only change I made was that we had to fight the boss once we had all the elder signs. Three of the five of us died in the final battle, but the other two won the battle pretty easily.

Also, we didn't go heal up before getting the final elder sign, which was a strategic blunder and made the final battle a lot harder than it needed to be.

I'd like to try advancing the clock by 4 hours or even 5, but I don't see how that makes the game too much harder. It seems like getting to the boss fast is actually good for the investigators, but maybe I'm wrong. It also defeats the purpose of getting elder signs if you know you won't get them fast enough to get to the boss before it has all their doom tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shampoo4you wrote:
I'd like to try advancing the clock by 4 hours or even 5, but I don't see how that makes the game too much harder. It seems like getting to the boss fast is actually good for the investigators, but maybe I'm wrong.

No, it really does make the game quite a bit harder. It makes Midnight happen more often, and while midnight isn't always bad for the investigators, it's bad more often than not -- and having less time between midnights gives you less time to deal with those nasty adventures with "at midnight" effects.

Remember that if the clock is advanced faster, this also means that when you're fighting the "boss", they get to attack more often. That makes them much harder to defeat.

Quote:
It also defeats the purpose of getting elder signs if you know you won't get them fast enough to get to the boss before it has all their doom tokens.

Well, that would be true if you had no chance to gather enough elder signs. But the idea of this is not to make it impossible, but to make it more challenging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.