1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Why does Wishlist Category -5 say "Don't buy this?" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or does this seem like a complete oxymoron?

If you are saying, "Don't buy this" then why is it on the wish list?

I'm cool categorizing it by wants, but it sends a bad message, as I learned when my wife got on BGG and looked at my wishlist for gift ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the "wishlist" as a tool to observe games of interest. There are some games I want to observe for some reason, though I don`t want them by all means. So, this makes sense, at least for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
airjudden wrote:

"I wish you wouldn't buy me this."

Also, you can check "Hide Games on Wishlist" in your personalized recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sacco
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sauron was not of mortal flesh, he could never again appear fair to the eyes of Men, yet his spirit arose & returned to Mordor. There he dwelt, dark & silent, until he wrought a new guise, an image of malice & hatred made visible; the Eye of Sauron.
badge
One moment only it stared out as from some great window immeasurably high there stabbed a flame of red, the flicker of a piercing Eye. The Eye was not turned on them, it gazed north but Frodo at that dreadful glimpse fell as one stricken mortally.
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this status was to indicate something had been pre-ordered or that the item had already been bought on a user's behalf but is not in one's collection just yet. A warning for potential secret santas that this game is already in the sleigh and another gift would be preferred.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a way to record "I'm aware of this game. I've investigated/played it. I don't want it." That's different from "I don't know about this game" (e.g. it's not on my wishlist).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
It's a way to record "I'm aware of this game. I've investigated/played it. I don't want it." That's different from "I don't know about this game" (e.g. it's not on my wishlist).

Exactly - if a game is not on your wishlist at all, a well-meaning giver might think "Knowing him, I bet he would love this game! He likes similar games!" but be unfortunately totally wrong. But if you know you don't want a game that seems like a game you'd like, then explicitly indicating that you don't want it would avoid that problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sacco wrote:
I thought this status was to indicate something had been pre-ordered or that the item had already been bought on a user's behalf but is not in one's collection just yet. A warning for potential secret santas that this game is already in the sleigh and another gift would be preferred.

I use it to remind myself of games that have previously been a 3 or 4, and I've played or looked into them a bit more, and decided I didn't' want them after all. There are so many games the likelihood is I might forget I didn't want it if I just took it off my list, then put it back on later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
It meant 'explicitly' that you outright STEAL that, as it isn't worthwhile to BUY, or TRADE on such! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me category 5 is things I want but are either following myself, has fell out of favour or are the type of thing I would like to make for myself.

As an example I don't feel I have the tools or skill required to make myself a crokinole board but I can easily knock up a board and pieces for Go or Shogi, once I find the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United Kingdom
Durham
County Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Category 4 is the one that really bugs me for me it is things I haven't decided if I want yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Reed
United States
College Station
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Things that are a 5 on my wishlist are things that I don't want in my collection. They are usually items that have left my collection (or expansions or derivatives) or things I have played and not enjoyed. Since I have friends and relatives looking at my wishlist on occasion for gift ideas, I have done this as a guide.

Examples: folks who know me know that I like cooperative games and might be tempted to give me Vanished Planet or the newer edition of Arkham Horror (2005-Fantasy Flight edition). Their generosity would be great and their thoughts about what I tend to like would be very thoughtful, but I find both games to be tragically flawed and would be quite happy if I never played them again. Both games (and their expansions) are rated as 5s on my wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam H
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use it to mark duplicate games so when I scan down a search list I can easily see what is going on. For instance, when I purchased the Alhambra Big Box I marked the individually packaged game and expansions that came in the box as "Don't buy this", that way when I see them come up in a search, I know that I already own them as part of a larger set. Same thing with Zooloretto, where many expansions were giveaways and then later packaged together as sets for sale.

Edit 1: Minor correction
Edit 2: Forgot to say why I edited. =P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suspect that the real reason is that Amazon used to have that text description for the lowest priority on their wishlist. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmb
I use wishlist 5 for games that my friends own, but that I would want in my collection if they sold it or moved away. So they're on my wishlist, but there's not reason to buy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
Winner of Cards against humanity's first ever Tabletop deathmatch!!
badge
Ïa! Ïa! Cthulhu fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
I simply use it for sorting purposes...

I like to collect only original stuff and not "fan made" so when i look say at all the Dominion stuff it serves me there for not checking the fan made items and i quickly check if there is new items that are out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be for any reason you wouldn't want someone buying the game for you. Either you tried it and don't like it, or someone else you know has it, or you plan to buy it for yourself, or you want a specific edition and you don't trust someone to get the right one, etc. etc.

I never really thought of using it for my own use, e.g. to remind myself of something I looked at and decided against. But surely it's equally valid for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use it for a couple of games, but yeah, generally to tell people shopping for me that however tempting it might seem, this one's a no-go. The one that comes to mind immediately is "Labyrinth." I'm a huge fan of Twilight Struggle, so it's a tempting choice, but Labyrinth just hits too close to home for me to want it in my collection. There's another game I mark a 5 because I find the artwork too disturbing.

I'm happy to get gifts of anything through a 4, or even something I've never heard of, but a 5 is just something I actively don't want to own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Think of it as a warning light for people looking at your wishlist.

It is well known among my friends that Modern Art is one of my all time favorite Euros, my first Euro purchase, and a regular at the table.

So someone might look at my games, see that, and think I would want the Modern Art: Card Game. But that game removes the auctions I loved, replacing it with a simple set building game. This lets them know giving me that game would be a grave insult, and could lead to me challenging them to a game I'm very good at, like Modern Art, or Age of Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya'all got good points.

My stuff is almost wargames, so those buying for me generally have no idea what to get me. I define the 5 levels on this Geeklist.

I wish the users could define what their levels represent, because I'm not the only one who uses Level 5 as a "research it for a rainy day" level, but such is life.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sacco wrote:

this.

It means *you* don't buy *me* this -- not that I don't want it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 107946. wtrollkin2000
  • 1d100 =
  • (69) =
  • Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:10 pm
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LurkingMeeple wrote:
you can check "Hide Games on Wishlist" in your personalized recommendations.

Where is "personalized recommendations"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am on a Journey...
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
...to explore and discover games of all shapes and sizes regardless of colour, condition or creed
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to wonder about that too.

Then it made perfect sense when BGG Secret Santa came around. If I think someone I know may be getting it for me I will select this option to try and steer my SS away from it as an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I use it as a way to remind myself about games I did not like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
airjudden wrote:
Is it just me, or does this seem like a complete oxymoron?

I'm cool categorizing it by wants, but it sends a bad message, as I learned when my wife got on BGG and looked at my wishlist for gift ideas.

I found it counter-intuitive and possibly dangerous to use #5 so I only have items listed in #s 1-4.

Also I simply didn't want to keep seeing the games I didn't want in a list I frequently browse and change.

I've also seen users use the #5 in different ways. Most often as "games I want to look into".

It aggravated me really. I see no need for it or at least move it off the wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
doctoryes0 wrote:
LurkingMeeple wrote:
you can check "Hide Games on Wishlist" in your personalized recommendations.

Where is "personalized recommendations"?

Yours is here: www.boardgamegeek.com/user/doctoryes0/recommendations

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.