$32.00
$18.00
$25.00
$22.00
$24.00
Recommend
14 
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG General

Subject: Why does Wishlist Category -5 say "Don't buy this?" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sacco wrote:
I thought this status was to indicate something had been pre-ordered or that the item had already been bought on a user's behalf but is not in one's collection just yet. A warning for potential secret santas that this game is already in the sleigh and another gift would be preferred.

This is what I use it for. Games that were on the list that I then bought but haven't received yet - usually because it was a pre-order and might take some time to arrive.

It also helps notify anyone who might have gotten it and had seen it higher on the list that it is now a no-go.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I know that I want a specific version or edition. I mark it this way to help insure that nobody accidentally gives me the wrong one thinking that they are doing me a favor.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use it for stuff I have no intention of getting (due to reviews, price, whatever) but might change my mind about in the future.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sándor Kazi
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My main reason is:

I'm not the only one checking my wishlist. My friends and family checks this list from time to time to find me a good game as a present. Some of them are quite elaborate when it comes to research and want to surprise me as well, or just got their hands on a good rated game... in these cases it is really good to have the "don't buy this" on the list as well... so they can tell apart the games I do not know about and the games I do not want.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely agree. There are a handful of games that I would really hate to have, usually because it triggers an emotional reaction. (Labyrinth, for example.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fascinating how many different uses there are.

I use it for adding games to my wishlist that I haven't researched enough to be sure I want (or can't research because they're future releases).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Butterfield
United States
Jupiter
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Sacco wrote:
I thought this status was to indicate something had been pre-ordered...

This is what I use it for. Games that were on the list that I then bought but haven't received yet - usually because it was a pre-order and might take some time to arrive.

You can just mark a game as preordered; you don't have to have it on your wishlist.

Personally, I use it for games that had been higher at one point, but, for whatever reason, have fallen out of favor, just not enough to completely drop them from my list completely. But I don't have anyone else looking at my list for potential gifts.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mpb2000 wrote:
ColtsFan76 wrote:
Sacco wrote:
I thought this status was to indicate something had been pre-ordered...

This is what I use it for. Games that were on the list that I then bought but haven't received yet - usually because it was a pre-order and might take some time to arrive.

You can just mark a game as preordered; you don't have to have it on your wishlist.

Personally, I use it for games that had been higher at one point, but, for whatever reason, have fallen out of favor, just not enough to completely drop them from my list completely. But I don't have anyone else looking at my list for potential gifts.

I know. Like I said, usually they are on my wishlist to begin with and then I just pre- or flat out order it. So at the time I drop it down to a 5 and mark it pre-ordered.

The reason I do this is around the holidays and my birthday if someone was looking at my wishlist and now sees it as a 5 - instead of simply disappearing off the list - they know the reason.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.