Hide
8 Posts

Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Keep the income tracks syncronized? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paulo Augusto
msg tools
When i first tried Through the ages, during the first turns i kept the income tracks syncronized (culture, science, etc).

However, soon after i noticed that the incomes changed very frequently and i felt it was actually more work to keep them synced than counting how much income i had when needed.
Also, since i constantly had the feeling that the income track could be outdated because i forgot to increase it sometime, i never trusted it and always recounted the income anyway.

Is it common for players of Through the ages to not keep the income tracks syncronized? Is there some usefulness that i'm failing to see that really makes the income tracks actually usefull unlike i have experienced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Smith
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Your incomes certainly change less than once per turn, so even at a minimum that's a timesaving.

You'll also get used to updating it when things change.. I probably don't total up my science or culture more than once an age or so, trusting myself to update things when they change. You've already moved, at a minimum, two other things to cause the change (probably a yellow token and some blue tokens), so moving one cube doesn't seem that hard.

Also, they shouldn't change all that frequently: often you spend a turn or two increasing your science, then a turn or two increasing your millitary, and so on: if you're not fully exploiting your new technologies, ask yourself why not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It quickly becomes a habit to change the relevant track when you make a change. I can't imagine the amount of time added to this game if every player re-counted their game state each turn.

The only time players tend to re-count is if they are planning a war or aggression. I find that military is usually the only track that sometimes contains errors. Someone will forget to move down a point or two when sacrificing a unit, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
The computer keeps track for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Bridgham
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me the big advantage of the tracks is that it allows your opponents to see the state of your civilization easily and quickly. Since they need to know this to plan their turns it is a huge time saver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Augusto
msg tools
I thought more about it and i found out that the main reason i didn't found the income trackers usefull was the suspicion that they might not be correctly updated.

That is a personal thing: i'm kind of a suspicious/forgetfull person, the kind of person that locks the car, walks a few meters and comes back to check if i remembered to lock it (and then, come back once more, because i already forgot if i really checked it).

So, i guess it might be mostly me. Then again:
dcorban wrote:
[...] players tend to re-count [...] military [...] Someone will forget to move down a point or two when sacrificing a unit, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Chunko wrote:
The computer keeps track for me.

how ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Chunko
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
http://www.boardgaming-online.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.