Dave Caldwell
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

Just curious how other Earths' territory cards are coming along. On Earth 4871 we are coming to the end of the coin stickers and

1. Only four territories (Yakutsk, Mongolia, Northern Europe, and Venezuela) have four coins. Four coins is the highest number in the deck.

2. Our group has intentionally distributed many coins across many territories so our deck is loaded with two-coin territories, giving our games back to back events most of the time.

I am thinking of turning at least one of the four-coin territories into a five-coin territory if I lose this weekend--I think this will create interest in Europe, which is a mess in other ways. Also, I play with a few characters who have no problem ripping up a territory card--I don't want to tempt fate on that front: a six-coin card might not last...

So as far as "end-coin" strategy goes, what are your thoughts? Is anyone planning the final coin placements??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Our group started by putting 3 coins on one territory in each continent. I wonder if anyone else has done that.

Since then other players have created a handful of 2 coin territories. No event cards yet, but it seems our world will be pretty quiet for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been screwed over by Events more than helped, so I have done my best to up most of our twos to threes, and to keep our ones as ones. We've only got a single four-coin territory, and I intend for that to stay that way if I can help it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Butler
United States
Garden Grove
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
One thing we didn't notice until game 5 (wouldn't have effected us much yet, but is important) is that you can only put a coin on a territory you are still controlling at the end of a game. So you may not have as many options.

At the end of game 5 we have two territories with 4 stars (both started the game with 3) and the rest of the coins made 2 star territories. We'll probably start making 3 stars next game, but we'll see what the fates allow.

I certainly prefer to have some nice high coin value territories near my bunkered major city in Greenland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Caldwell
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deinol wrote:
One thing we didn't notice until game 5 (wouldn't have effected us much yet, but is important) is that you can only put a coin on a territory you are still controlling at the end of a game. So you may not have as many options.

At the end of game 5 we have two territories with 4 stars (both started the game with 3) and the rest of the coins made 2 star territories. We'll probably start making 3 stars next game, but we'll see what the fates allow.

I certainly prefer to have some nice high coin value territories near my bunkered major city in Greenland.

I am looking forward to at least one five- or six-coin territory on the board, but I can see now that my arch-enemy, my wife (in the game), will not allow such a card to exist for my one major city in Asia. I wonder if we will hear more tales of card-ripping as the majority of us reach game fifteen...

Dexter345 wrote:
I have been screwed over by Events more than helped, so I have done my best to up most of our twos to threes, and to keep our ones as ones. We've only got a single four-coin territory, and I intend for that to stay that way if I can help it.

We have a group of seven players total, and the consensus is the opposite. Events have helped players gain a better footing more often than not. It might have something to do with our event deck--it was pretty much completed after game five. I find it cool that there will be event-heavy and event-light Earths.

JBgames wrote:
Our group started by putting 3 coins on one territory in each continent. I wonder if anyone else has done that.

Since then other players have created a handful of 2 coin territories. No event cards yet, but it seems our world will be pretty quiet for a while.

Our Earth is a sea of two-coin territories. It makes for quite a maelstrom of a game. One moment you are a few dice rolls away from an HQ, the next you are adjusting to the event that just kicked you in the side.

I guess one of the questions is which is better: event-rich Earths or event-poor ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Marysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Though here at journey's end I lie in darkness buried deep, beyond all towerrs strong and high, beyond all mountains steep, above all shadows rides the Sun, and Stars forever dwell: I will not say the Day is done, nor bid the Stars farewell.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have 4 territories with 4 coins, and they are spread out evenly so everyone has access to one. Our deck is very close to 50-50 for odds and evens. No one has elected to rip up a card, but then again, no card crossed the 4 coin mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister Easton
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:
I am looking forward to at least one five- or six-coin territory on the board, but I can see now that my arch-enemy, my wife (in the game), will not allow such a card to exist for my one major city in Asia.

You mean that your wife is your arch-enemy in the game or that you are doing some roleplaying thing where your arch-enemy is playing your wife in the game? That would be kick-ass...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Caldwell
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistereaston wrote:
August222 wrote:
I am looking forward to at least one five- or six-coin territory on the board, but I can see now that my arch-enemy, my wife (in the game), will not allow such a card to exist for my one major city in Asia.

You mean that your wife is your arch-enemy in the game or that you are doing some roleplaying thing where your arch-enemy is playing your wife in the game? That would be kick-ass...

Hilarious. I was unclear. In life she is an ally. In the game, she is a brutal opponent, a nemesis.

She has stated several times that she agrees with the general premise of the game--destruction is an in-game tactic and outcome. It is a natural part of the game.

I agree with her, but it will be painful to see a high-coin card get ripped up.

I guess I look at a six-coin card as a bucket of troops--but it is a bucket of troops that might be coming for you just as easily as it might be under your control.If you remove it from the game--you remove one more "event" from future games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.