12 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Need help with plastic piece frames rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Commander Video
msg tools
Hello all,
I just got this game and I'm very excited to play it. One problem-- I cannot find an effective and careful method to get the pieces out of their frames (I am not very experienced with this). Does anyone have any good tips on how to get them out carefully? Especially the units like Dreadnaughts and Carriers which are attached in three places.

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try an X-Acto blade or a small set of clippers; you can find either at a craft store. Twisting them off can work as well, but it'll leave the little bits of plastic on the ships where the frame meets them and be really hard on your fingers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
mb
I twisted them, they look fine - only after close examination one can spot connection leftovers. Not very comfortable for fingers though.

But cheer up. The pieces in Shattered Empire are cut already. Such a relief when I opened the box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Free Cascadia!
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
I used a paire of wire cutters for the easy spots and an exacto knife for the more delicate spots and then trimmed the flashing with the exacto. Only took me a few hours
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Old fashioned single edged razor blades are excellent too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Commander Video
msg tools
Thanks for all the advice, I will try these methods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R
United Kingdom
Havant
Hampshire
flag msg tools
So long and thanks for all the fish
badge
42 - Life the Universe and Everything
mbmbmbmbmb
Wire cutters and sharp craft knife worked will for me, plus a needle file to remove any burs.

Regards

Gnome

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Used a craft knife myself. I guess a small side cutter would work even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
fizolof wrote:
I twisted them, they look fine - only after close examination one can spot connection leftovers. Not very comfortable for fingers though.

But cheer up. The pieces in Shattered Empire are cut already. Such a relief when I opened the box

... and twisted beyond understanding as a result...

I don't know if that's changed in the later printings of the SE expansion, but in the original printing, they were bent in weird angles.

My orange set is particularly nasty. I have some carriers bent in almost 30 degrees angles in their joints and space docks where the "needles" are almost touching each other on top.

I could "try" and fix them with hot water, but they kind of have a charm to them. The person who chooses that color has the rag-tag fleet we make jokes about. Perfect for a mentak player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
muthrali the relentless
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:

I could "try" and fix them with hot water, but they kind of have a charm to them. The person who chooses that color has the rag-tag fleet we make jokes about. Perfect for a mentak player.

Thats freaking hilarious, hahahahalaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clippers are what I use. I actually did not know these pieces came on a frame but I was just getting into 40k at the same time and had ordered some clippers for that. Lucky me, I found a second use for them pronto!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh. All my SE pieces were in fine shape. I don't think I got a copy from the first printing, though. My orange flagship from Shards is slightly curved to one side, but other than that I've had no problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.