8 Posts

Risk Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question regarding Kahn Industrial's 'Resource card power' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin LaFleur
Canada
flag msg tools
So Kahn has two powers, the first one is very strait forward, the second I'm unsure about. It says you may place a troop when you draw a resource card, on the territory of the card. My initial thought when reading it was that you get 1 troop only on that territory only when drawing the card at the end of your turn, but when I thought about it I realized that this power is so much worse than Kahns other power, and I considered whether it's supposed to be better. The other power is a guarenteed troop everyturn, or more, assuming you can hold your own or capture another's capital. The card power, to my understanding, is one troop, if you earned a card, if you can take a territory card. And the troop earned might even be in a totally irrelevant location, like if you were in Europe, had your HQ in Russia and held borders in SE, WE, Russia and Greenland, a troop in Scandinavia would just be out of the way, and force you to waste a maneuver, else leaving it there, useless. A well placed HQ totally avoids this problem, and even if your HQ is in a irrelevant spot troops will build up there.

The things I though may be 'implied' but unclear are:

A: You get 1 troop PER RESOURCE on the card.

B: It includes cards earned after eliminating a player.

If there is some effect or part of this power, please let me know, because I see absolutely no reason to ever take this power over the alternative. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
6 59 4 14 3 64
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one troop, only when you draw a territory from the sideboard. And yes, most people think the HQ power is better when that choice is made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
You're definitely not guaranteed to have your HQ on every turn of the game. Khan's HQ bonus makes them a tempting first target.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a funny thing about Khan Industries. My world has the "1 troop on any HQ" starting power for them, and it is perceived as being one of the best (behind Balkania's "gain a resource card after expanding into 4+ territories), but Khan hasn't won a single game yet. I wonder if it has to do with it being perceived as a better starting power than it actually is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
Legendary Villains League - Season 1 Complete!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We also have the bonus HQ troop power for Kahn. I took them in the first game, and decided that they were the COBRA guys from GI Joe. Big laser blasters, backpack power packs, giant robot vehicles... and they couldn't shoot anyone. I rolled so poorly with them that first game, they were just as bad at shooting people as the guys in the 80's cartoons.

That's why they can't win.

(Though I do have a plan for them that will make them particularly nasty in the next game, but it involves spoilers. And they'll still probably lose.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's why game like this are somewhat self correcting. Whoever has the "best" power gets take out first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin LaFleur
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks all for the input. I may try a house rule with the resource idea, cause this power is much much worse than their other. Idk if any of you have found their good powerful to make them a target, but I seem to have made full effectiveness with it. I think my biggest problems with legacy are some of the powers and how some (especially later) are much better or worse than others, and the ease with which someone can get a large number of troops through cards (though I didn't like that in regular risk either).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Buchanan
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I think you're taking the wrong perspective comparing Kahn's power to the other one it could have had. Either of their powers seems slightly stronger to me than either of the Enclave's powers. So if you house-rule Kahn as you suggest you'll make them even stronger yet and perhaps an obvious first pick. So then you'll have to bump up the Enclave, and the space marines, and it just becomes a mess.

I'd leave the starting powers as is or perhaps scrap them entirely if it really bugs you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.