Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fractal Energy
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the variance is derived from luck rather than "new experiences," so to speak. Is the game really so well balanced that there is no "ideal" setup or anything like that to prevent the game from getting stale?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Stevens
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tons of games have no variance beyond player choices, and no "new experiences", and don't get stale.

Looking at your list of games... I don't see any more or less luck than say Carcassone, Shadow Hunters, BSG, Citadels, Puerto Rico... considerably less luck than Alien Frontiers and Cosmic Encounter.

As such... I don't understand what you're trying to get at.

There's no ideal setup. Every choice you can make, the opponent can counter in some way. You go for a fast strike, I can ionize. Load up on bombs? I'll take extra blasters and shoot your wings off. And so on and so forth.

There's no "ideal" setup, and even if there was, it's still up to how you choose to use it, what your opponent does, and in the end a little luck, though you make most of your own luck in this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Campos
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, by default there's only 4 weapons so I don't expect to see a lot of different setups...

On the other hand, the expansions, which give you crew with special powers and alternative victory conditions should add some flexibility, and I'm pretty sure I heard something about the possibility of new weapons as stretch goals.

Also, the 4 play version should add a little more complexity to the situation.

For what it is, it looks like a pretty decent light filler game. I mean really... would you rather play this for 30-40 minutes while you wait for the always-late peeps to show up to your gaming group, or do you want to play Zombie Dice, again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

Don't forget the Upgrades! There's 5 new items for the Gunship and several for the Carrier itself. Plus, I plan to release one new Gunship Weapon for each stage reached of the larger Plastic Pieces/Engraved Dice Stretch Goal. Just waiting for quotes from China that I hope to have soon. Example - If we end up needing to hit 32K I will release a new Weapon at 28, 30 and 32. These will be Weapons that have KIND OF been playtested but did not make the final cut for Upgrades. That does NOT mean they are broken or anything - just had to create a short list from a lot of things. They will be titled "Experimental Weapons" and may need slight tweaking but I seriously doubt it since we will concentrate on re-testing them while we wait for production. No problem.

Here is a BGG Exclusive Sneak Peek:

The Autoblaster Cannon allows you to play up to 3 Hits in a single attack! None of them can add Bullseye and an evasive Action card makes each one hit on a 5 or 6 only. Short Range only. The card needs to be updated but it will look similar to this. May only be added to the Starboard Weapon Pod (for proximity to the Power Gen)

Got a couple more good ones in the tube for you as well!

Steve
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wood
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Gunship: First Strike! A hit on Kickstarter and soon available as a PreOrder!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow that is one BIG cannon! I'm too tired to fix it. snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Marquez
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
I'll take 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fractal Energy
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
palmerkun wrote:
Tons of games have no variance beyond player choices, and no "new experiences", and don't get stale.

Looking at your list of games... I don't see any more or less luck than say Carcassone, Shadow Hunters, BSG, Citadels, Puerto Rico... considerably less luck than Alien Frontiers and Cosmic Encounter.

As such... I don't understand what you're trying to get at.

Okay thanks for the comparisons. I see how it could have a similar sort of variance to a lot of eurogames. I think I was looking at this the wrong way. Makes sense, thank you for the perspective!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, don't forget about the campaign mode. If that delivers on the description provided then there will be tons of replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kartzinel
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow, I like the looks of that gun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
Also, don't forget about the campaign mode. If that delivers on the description provided then there will be tons of replayability.

Yeah, in fact I think I read in one of the designer diaries or interviews that that is why he came up with the campaign mode in the first place, to keep it interesting for playtesters who had to play it over and over and over and over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.