Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Beyke
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And please point me to another thread if it addresses, but besides counting aloud, what ways if any do you all have to keep track of additional actions, buys and coin during an action run?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Besdies counting aloud
Just leave the cards in front of you?

If you want to know how many actions you have, count up all the '+1/+2 Action' in front of you, add one for the 'free' action you had to start with, and deduct the number of action cards on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For actions, we lay them out in a chain. If you play something with +2 actions, the chain forks. If you play a terminal action, that fork ends.

Example: S=Smithy, V=Village, M=Market

M
M
V
S M
V
S S

done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Round Lake Beach
Illinois
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:
For actions, we lay them out in a chain. If you play something with +2 actions, the chain forks. If you play a terminal action, that fork ends.

M
M
V
S M
V
S S

done!

This!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:

M
M
V
S M
V
S S

done!

This is perfect, thanks for that! I was just used to people playing the cards on top of each other, not seeing what was under is why I initially asked. If layed out in front its easy to see extra buys in coins, I just hadn't usually played like that and didn't know if people used d6 or anything. Always great seeing other perspectives!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brandt
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually stack my non-terminals in a pile on the left, my villages in a pile in the middle, and terminals in a pile on the right. Not just stacked on each other, but staggered like in solitaire, so you can see the name of every card.

M V S
M V S
M S

Each village is paired with a Smithy, so those extra actions are used up, plus one more Smithy, so that was my starting action used up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a similar method, but play the cards from left to right. I get a row of cards each providing 1 or 2 extra actions, with a possible terminal action at the end of the chain, and more spots for terminal actions above each +2 actions card.

The Village-Market-Smithy example:

S S
M M V M V M S

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Loftus
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I count out loud, it works no matter what cards you use (Throne room, Kings Court)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cepeda
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the tree/chain method. No one I know uses it, and I faithfully use it every game. Also, it drives me crazy that not everyone uses it... :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:

M
M
V
S M
V
S S

done!

this is the best, simplest, most effective imo. new guys get it right away and it's impossible to mess up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and for stuff like pawn or tribute, where the amount of coins generated might not be obvious at the end of the turn, I've seen people use the coin tokens from Seaside/Prosperity. Usually, our memories are good enough, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do the same as we do with Minions for those. Turn 'em sideways when used for draw or orient them aright if used for coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
gonzoron wrote:

M
M
V
S M
V
S S

done!

Am I the only person looking at this and thinking 'if you buy another bloody village, I'm going to punch you in the nose'? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly, since an excessive number of Villages has not been played. They serve a purpose. Why would a village incite you at all but especially when played well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly because that's an 8-action chain up there, therefore it's probably at least round 9 of the game, barring some VERY fortuitous Market draws. If that's the case, then this deck is well-overdue some Silver.

Assuming some Silver/Gold has been bought, then we're probably in about round 13, and it's time to start picking up those Provinces.

Oh, and also because I was making a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luther Hendricks
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Assuming some Silver/Gold has been bought, then we're probably in about round 13, and it's time to start picking up those Provinces.

Assuming some Silver/Gold has been bought, he could afford, like, three Villages! Imagine how awesome his next turn will be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rogers
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I like the forking method. For throne room or kings court, I just grab a blank card (or two) to represent the second play of the action card. I find the works very well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jstnrgrs wrote:
I like the forking method. For throne room or kings court, I just grab a blank card (or two) to represent the second play of the action card. I find the works very well.

I really like this idea. Not sure why I never thought of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't see a need for anything more elegant than counting out loud. So I use that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Don't see a need for anything more elegant than counting out loud. So I use that.

You haven't heard me mumble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.