Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Pettersson
Sweden
Smygehamn
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday the whole family sat down to play the yearly game of Svea Rike, We do it every year in August in the veranda. Candle-light and sound of crickets.

There were the four of us, me, my wife Anette, my son Jacob, (13 years) and my daughter Sofia (8 years). The girls quickly announced that they would play the Sture-family together.

In the early Wasa-era all started to make their political platsforms. A/S quickly went for a cultural approach and grabbed both a queen (Karin Mansdotter) and the Silver-mine of Sala. (we had visited the mine earlier this summer). Jacob tried to take the mine from them but political connections stoped him from that. Instead he started to build up some trade-connections with Russia. (a bit risky as Russia is the old nemesis of Sweden and a war could be very costly for him, on the other side could a lot of merchants I Moscow provide a huge profit). For my own part I collected domains.

We had a very frustrating and disappointing war with Denmark during the reign of king Sigismund. We lost in spite of a heroic last stand of the regiment of Smaland and Sodermaland. Sweden recovered quickly and launched yet another versus the Danes during the reign of Gustav II Adolf. This time successful due to sudden winter cold that froze the Belts and allowed the Swedish army to attack Copenhagen from “the wrong directions”. The grateful king rewarded his loyal (money to J and A/S and general Armfeldt for my).

The 17-th century turned out to be an era of mercantile expansions in Sweden instead of the real military expansion. J just rubbed his hands and hoarded up his treasures. For my own part I put my efforts in agricultural handling and put all my profit in lands except some castles I couldn’t resist. A/S went for a more balanced strategy with some fiefdoms, some merchants and some cultural cards like queens and scientists.

When we stopped playing in the middle of the 18-th century during the reign of Adolf Fredrik, (who by the way died of eating too much sweet cakes and pastery) the clock was about 10.00 pm and Sofia could hardly keep her eyes open. We had had some times of famine, trade-booms, and political intrigues and heavy taxes.
Jacob had managed to build up a solid net of tradesmen around the Baltic and had in the last minute succeded in grabbing the fiefdoms of Gotland from his father in a political coup. His treasure-chests were heavy with over 90 Gold. Anette/Sofia also had a fine economic situation together with some nice fifedoms..

The final result ended as

Jacob: Anette/Sofia Johan
Gold 4 4 0
Fifedoms 2 2 4
Troops 2 2 2
Historycards 0 0 1
Merchants 2 1 0
Historybonus 0 0 1

Total 10 9 8

But the next year……….Then I will have my revenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.