Subject: Getting whooped by your son = Priceless rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you had the enjoyable experience of being whooped by your kids in a board game?

Well, this week I had that great experience again.

After having been on a business trip for most of this week, I returned home nice an tired. My flight home lasted most of the day and when I finally got home, I was ready to just plop down and close my eyes for a good rest.

So I was surprised when our oldest son, Trevor (16) came into the kitchen and plunked down a game on the table. There, sitting before my eyes was Power Grid. While we haven’t posted a review of Power Grid yet, let me just say that I love it. I think it’s a fantastic board game.

So when Trevor placed Power Grid on the table, I had a dilemma. I sure don’t want to pass up a chance to play a game with my 16 yr old. When he’s in the mood to play a game together, I better jump. Here he was, on a school night wanting to hang with dad. And before I left for my trip I had just bought The Robots expansion for Power Grid and had talked to him about it and how anxious I was to play it. But my mind and body sure wasn’t set for such an endeavor that night.

After telling him how torn I was, I told him that Power Grid just wasn’t in the cards. I told him that I’d be more than happy to play a shorter or lighter game, but I’d have to take a rain check on Power Grid. Unfortunately nothing else seemed to strike his fancy right then.

But when I walked into my room after that, I noticed a package on my bed that could only mean one thing – a copy of Yinsh that I recently ordered had arrived!

Now, here was a game that I’d be up for playing with Trevor. There are a few games that have been on my wish list for a number of years. And I believe Yinsh has been at the top the longest. It’s been hard to find in game stores and seems to be out of stock at a lot of online game stores as well. So when I saw it pop up on Amazon a couple weeks ago for only $22, I had to jump on it.

After seeing the package on the bed, my body regained some energy and I quickly opened it up and hustled downstairs to tell Trevor that a game was on.

Like I said, I’ve had my eye on it for years and just knew that it would be a 2-player game that I’d most likely love. And after playing it that night, I’m excited to report that my guess was right. It’s a fantastic game!

The only problem was that Trevor whooped me up and down – twice.

And I loved every minute of it!

It’s simply a great feeling when you can go head-to-head with your son and get beat. We’ve written before about whether you should let your kids win when playing board games. And it’s pretty clear that the older and wiser they get, this question isn’t even relevant. When you can sit down for a bit with a child for a mental challenge like this – no matter the outcome – it’s pretty sweet!

Of course the other part that makes the story sweet is that Trevor and I are planning a late night of gaming goodness tonight where for starters I’ll get a rematch of Yinsh and then who knows what else.

Here’s to game time with your kids!

You can see our game reviews and other articles at www.TheBoardGameFamily.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MMB
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter and I play this. The best she could muster the first few times was one ring. Then she started to tie with me at 2 rings. Then she finally beat me. It was the happiest moment for me of all our games!!

(she's 11 years old)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2015
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBoardGameFamily wrote:
Here’s to game time with your kids!

Great story... thanks!

It reminds me of one of my best memories as a kid was when I first beat my dad in a game of chess. We played chess a lot and he didn't let me win which was fine by me. Sometime around 14 years old, I finally won and remember running around the house in celebration. My mom was frightened that something terrible had happened and when I came back to the room with my dad and the game, he was just sitting in front of the board with a smirk on his face. Now that I'm constantly playing games with my own kids, I understand how he felt that day. I was excited to have won the game and he was happy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story. PG isn't much fun with 2P, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LJ
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do or do not, there is no try.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what life's about.

That's why we leave on those trips...

Nice work Dad, keep up the great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. B. Green
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 10 year old gave me the smackdown in a game of Ingenious last week. At the halfway point, I was worried about beating him too badly and him getting discouraged.

In the end, I had three colors with fewer points than his weakest color.

It really is just about the best feeling.

The only thing that compares is watching your kid beat a bunch of other adults at some game where they think they're humoring him by letting him play with grownups. Heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice. I'm waiting for one of my kids now to bring Power Grid to the table and ask if I want to play (I too just got the Robots and anxkous to play 2p more often). And if Yinsh (also on my wishlist) were to show up one day, man...

Thanks for sharing the story.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Soller
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice - all the games I play are games with the family. My wife plays with and the three kids ages 19, 14, and 12. We play some pretty complicated games and it works out well. We also play some very....spicey games. We are just about to play our second game of Rex - the first one from yesterday was...well...pretty exciting haha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Baker
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air, you suddenly realize what you were hoping for.
badge
But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: - 1 Pet 3:15
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for sharing your story!

I found it two days ago, then crawled your site...

A day later, i made a CSI order for Power Grid, YINSH, Coloretto, and Ticket to Ride based on your recommendations.

My focus on games is very similar to what you express on your site.

So, on behalf of fathers like us everywhere -- thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whopped: 1. Hit hard 2. Defeat, overcome
Whooped: 1. Give or make a whoop, "whooping with laughter"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Alien
United States
MISSOURI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a similar note, I taught my 11-year old son how to play Dominion yesterday. He picked it up right away and beat me in his first game. The second I managed to win by a paltry 3 VPs.

It's nice to have kids to game with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Howell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quelf elf wrote:
Great story. PG isn't much fun with 2P, anyway.

We were able to play PowerGrid with the Robots a couple times this weekend and we had a great time with 2 players. We tried it once with just one robot and then a second time with 2 robots and had a great time with each. (Sometimes the robot will do crazy things, but that added to some of the fun for us.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son beats me at every game we have . . . except Chess. He's only beat me at Chess once, and that was epic. At most games, we're about 50/50 lol. He especially whups me at Backgammon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.