Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Randolph
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have played a TI3-SE-SotT game with this variant Strategy Card, it proved to be quite popular among the group of players. (I really do not like "Mercenaries" and I have always been somewhat dissatisfied with the base SC#5 "Trade" and the SE SC#5 "Trade II.")

SC#5 "Trade IV"
Primary Ability:
Immediately receive [1] Trade Good, then receive [1] bonus Trade Good for each Trade Agreement still in place from the previous Game Round. Do not draw Mercenaries. Next, open trade negotiations among all players, you must approve new Trade Agreements. All players then immediately receive Trade Goods from their active Trade Agreements, even if just acquired.
Secondary Ability:
Spend 1 Command Counter from your Strategy Allocation area to break a Trade Agreement between any 2 other players and gain 1 Trade Good.

(SFRR)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a bad idea. I'm not a huge fan of Mercenaries, either. The only reason that we've been playing with them so much is that there are a couple guys in our group that think Mercs are useful, and no one minds getting the Trade Goods as soon as they make agreements.

That Secondary is still terrible, though. One Command Counter is worth much more than 1 Trade Good. This is probably the only Secondary that no one has ever used. I might see it used as the Hacan, but even then it's just rude. Since you get the Trade Goods as soon as agreements are made, there's not much point to this ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
templarjr wrote:
It's not a bad idea. I'm not a huge fan of Mercenaries, either. The only reason that we've been playing with them so much is that there are a couple guys in our group that think Mercs are useful, and no one minds getting the Trade Goods as soon as they make agreements.

That Secondary is still terrible, though. One Command Counter is worth much more than 1 Trade Good. This is probably the only Secondary that no one has ever used. I might see it used as the Hacan, but even then it's just rude. Since you get the Trade Goods as soon as agreements are made, there's not much point to this ability.

Aha!...you hit the nail exactly on the head! With Trade IV (unlike Trade III) breaking another player's trade agreements may actually prevent them from being able to make that trade agreement next round (costing them some TG's, the agreement needs the approval of the player with the Trade SC), AND, if they themselves draw Trade IV, they get 1 less bonus TG since the trade agreement is not in place from the previous game round. The secondary here actually works much better with Trade IV, and I agree it's not very useful, nor often used, with Trade III.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Porter
United States
Bangor
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I see what you mean. Looks like I read through the description a little too quickly!

That does seem like it would work better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
templarjr wrote:
Okay, I see what you mean. Looks like I read through the description a little too quickly!

No, no, not at all, thank you for bothering to comment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
SFRR wrote:
We have played a TI3-SE-SotT game with this variant Strategy Card, it proved to be quite popular among the group of players. (I really do not like "Mercenaries" and I have always been somewhat dissatisfied with the base SC#5 "Trade" and the SE SC#5 "Trade II.")

SC#5 "Trade IV"
Primary Ability:
Immediately receive [1] Trade Good, then receive [1] bonus Trade Good for each Trade Agreement still in place from the previous Game Round. Do not draw Mercenaries. Next, open trade negotiations among all players, you must approve new Trade Agreements. All players then immediately receive Trade Goods from their active Trade Agreements, even if just acquired.
Secondary Ability:
Spend 1 Command Counter from your Strategy Allocation area to break a Trade Agreement between any 2 other players and gain 1 Trade Good.

(SFRR)

Might want to reword that as "for each of YOUR trade agreements in place from the previous round" because as it's worded, in a 6 player game the activating player could get as much as 13 trade goods (or 7, even breaking it into TA pairs), plus the value of his trade agreements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, the +1 bonus TG per Trade Agreement still in place from the previous game round IS meant to ONLY apply to the player with SC#5 "Trade IV." thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.