San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
Hey TI players,

Inpired by a thread over in the Civilization game forums (that I can no longer seem to find), I've created a form to record game/session information for TI where folks could compare experiences and such. I'd love to see how races do against each other across multiple game-groups, and have put together this google poll. I'm also a data-geek of sorts, so I think this would be fun to play with but would really only work if lots of people decided to use it.

I'd love feedback from folks, what do you think of the form? Would you add anything else? If there was enough folks posting, it would be fun to put up some stats to see what folks are playing and how certain races fare.

If this catches on, and enough folks enter data, I'll start tallying some of the stats here. If others want, I'm happy to share the data too. If folks know how to make the data available via google, please PM me and let me know how to do this!

edit: form is live now so please use the link above to enter your data. PM me if you have any questions (or if you'd like some help entering your data - I'm happy to assist!)

As of today (Feb 26) there are a dozen or so games. When we hit about double that, I'll start posting stats. We'll see if this takes off or not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Tracking your games of TI, any interest from the TI community or does this exist already?
Given how large of a game TI is, how many variables there are, how many different objectives, and how many optional modules and rules there are, I don't know that it would be possible to draw any reasonable conclusions from that kind of data set. Apart from just what is popular, but a survey would do that just as well.

I'm personally more interested in the stories of massive rivalries, unexpected political upsets, and all the rest of the events that TI creates, rather than the nitty-gritty statistics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Tracking your games of TI, any interest from the TI community or does this exist already?
mattprice wrote:
Hey TI players,

Inpired by a thread over in the Civilization game forums (that I can no longer seem to find), I was wondering if there exists a repository for game/session information for TI where folks could compare experiences and such. I'd love to see how races do against each other across multiple game-groups, and was thinking of setting up a google poll of some sort to track this. I'm also a data-geek of sorts, so I just think this would be fun to play with but would really only work if lots of people decided to use it.

I'd love feedback from folks, what do you think of the following data to collect? Would you add anything else? If there was enough folks posting, it would be fun to put up some stats to see what folks are playing and how certain races fare.

Thoughts? Is this the best place to get folks to enter their game info?

Suggested data to collect:

Personal identifier to control for multiple entries from one game group?

Maybe the location (country, state, city, etc) where the game was played?

Date of game: (dd/MMM/yyyy)

We played with the base game and (select all that apply):
__the first expansion, Shattered Empires
__the second expansion, Shards of the Throne

How many players were in your game (select one):
__2
__3
__4
__5
__6
__7
__8

Approximately how long in hours did your game take (enter a number, e.g. 4.75 or 6):

How did you choose your races (select one):
__Randomly
__By choosing one of two or more options given to each player
__By another method (bidding, sequentially selecting a race, etc.)

If you chose other, describe your method for selecting races: (text field, optional)

We played with the following Twilight Imperium base game variants (select all that apply):
__Pre-set Maps
__The Long War
__Homeworlds
__Age of Empire
__The Star in the Crown
__Distant Suns
__Leaders
__Sabotage Runs
__I'm not sure I remember all of the base game variants we played with

We played with the following Shattered Empires variants (select all that apply):
__The Variant Imperial Strategy Card
__The Variant Strategy Cards
__Variant Objectives
__Race-Specific Technologies
__Artifacts
__Shock Troops
__Space Mines
__The Wormhole Nexus
__Facilities
__Tactical Retreats
__New Distant Suns Domain Counters
__Territorial Distant Suns
__Custodians of Mecatol Rex
__Voice of the Council
__Simulated Early Turns
__Refresh Abilities
__Trade Stations
__I'm not sure I remember all of the SE variants we played with

We played with the following Shards of the Throne variants (select all that apply):
__Preliminary Objectives
__Race-Specific Technologies
__Flagships
__The Final Frontier
__Mechanized Units
__Mercenaries
__Political Intrigue
__Fall of the Empire
__I'm not sure I remember all of the ST variants we played with

Which races participated in the game and (optional) what were the final scores: (radio box plus number)
__Universities of Jol Nar (TI) Score: __
__The Naalu Collective (TI) Score: __
__The L1z1x Mindnet (TI) Score: __
__The Mentak Coalition (TI) Score: __
__The Barony of Letnev (TI) Score: __
__The Xxcha Kingdom (TI) Score: __
__The Yssaril Tribes (TI) Score: __
__The Emirates of Hacan (TI) Score: __
__The Sardakk N'orr (TI) Score: __
__The Federation of Sol (TI) Score: __
__The Brotherhood of Yin (SE) Score: __
__The Clan of Saar (SE) Score: __
__The Embers of Muaat (SE) Score: __
__The Winnu (SE) Score: __
__The Arborec (ST) Score: __
__The Ghosts of Creuss (ST) Score: __
__The Nekro Virus (ST) Score: __

Was there anything remarkable about your game worth sharing? (text field, optional)

I actually have most of this info for our group, over the course of about 24 games of TI3, TI3-SE, and TI3-SE-SotT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
hoobajoo wrote:
Given how large of a game TI is, how many variables there are, how many different objectives, and how many optional modules and rules there are, I don't know that it would be possible to draw any reasonable conclusions from that kind of data set. Apart from just what is popular, but a survey would do that just as well.

I'm personally more interested in the stories of massive rivalries, unexpected political upsets, and all the rest of the events that TI creates, rather than the nitty-gritty statistics.

A very good point, however with enough data you might be able to see some interesting trends.

And, as unexciting as this might sound... I'm much more interested in the nitty gritty statistics! Some of us are a bit more boring, perhaps?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
SFRR wrote:

I actually have most of this info for our group, over the course of about 24 games of TI3, TI3-SE, and TI3-SE-SotT.

Are there any other data points worth adding? Would you be willing to plug all those data points into a database, if I put it up? (I'm pretty sure I'll be putting it up... Even if you're not as excited about it as I am!)

And of course the data would be available to whomever wanted to dl it and check it out.

And from there write up epic "stories of massive rivalries, unexpected political upsets, and all the rest of the events that TI creates"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
SFRR wrote:

Are there any other data points worth adding? Would you be willing to plug all those data points into a database, if I put it up? (I'm pretty sure I'll be putting it up... Even if you're not as excited about it as I am!)

And of course the data would be available to whomever wanted to dl it and check it out.

And from there write up epic "stories of massive rivalries, unexpected political upsets, and all the rest of the events that TI creates"

Ugghh!...you know I should (especially since I opened my big mouth ). It's all on hand-written scoresheets. We keep a separate scoresheet to compare to the VP Tracker, to help ensure accuracy, and I staple the list of optional and house rules used for each game to the scoresheet when we are done playing. Oh my, compiling that would a chore. As one astute statistician among the BGG TI3 commenters noted, my data set unfortunately isn't large enough to be statistically meaningful, and there's no "base control set" of data to compare it to, but it does make for interesting reading (for a game nerd like me anyway!). One day I'll make a spread sheet and post it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ahhh, but as a "junior" statistician (I'm an epidemiologist), once we get enough geeks like you... Then we can see some cool stuff that might approach statistically meaningful! When I put this up, just scan in your details, send on to me and I'll enter some of it for you!

I'm going to try to get this up Sunday or Monday, so we'll see what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Krogh
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id also include "starting" position just in case you wanted to analyze how the 5 or 7 player maps might tweak stuff.

I've actually in the midst of writing an Online stat tracking for TI games. (I'm taking a break from my Arkham Horror stat pages)

Its been just for my gaming group but I'd be willing to share the link when I'm done if anyone was interested...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Lord_Nerdhammer wrote:
Id also include "starting" position just in case you wanted to analyze how the 5 or 7 player maps might tweak stuff.

You mean where on the map did folks start? Since some of the spots are a bit tougher than others?

How would you record that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Krogh
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The positions are actually numbered on the maps that they give showing starting positions for 5 and 7 player games so I'd just track that as a number.

Also, VPs would be tracked of course but you would probably still need a "flag" for the winner of the game (in case of ties)

Also you could add a "Game Ended by": where you could put the various ways the game ended/won (i think there are 2 or 3 Stage 2 objectives that would win/end the game) in addition to Mecatol Rex and of course hitting the requisite VPs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Irving
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you want data if all I can tell you is the winner, and not the actual scores?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
KalKraken wrote:
Do you want data if all I can tell you is the winner, and not the actual scores?

That would be worthwhile if you knew all the competing factions. Some of the variants would be a bonus too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Irving
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I remember the variants and the factions, just not the scores. How do I get you the data?

[edit] Ah, I see, I enter it into your poll. I will do that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Phoenix
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I entered data for our last three games, however you cannot currently enter data for a game where you used no expansions - you get an error that you didn't answer all the questions. For the game we played vanilla I selected Shards only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Zoinks, I will fix that tonight. Thanks for the feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Phoenix
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Do you have any data you can share so far?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I was hoping to get to about two dozen games before compiling some numbers (not for any specific reason, just seemed like a good place to start)

As of today (now), we're at a dozen. Thumb this thread, and maybe it'll take off?

If we don't get that high, I'll start compiling stats in a week or two! Maybe that will draw in more folks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Phoenix
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Honestly I think just seeing a somewhat lengthy poll with no output to view results may turn some people off. But I could be mistaken. I've put in 3 games and I'll have another to add after our game on saturday. I realize that a dozen games is a really small sample size to the point where you probably won't see much, if any, trending, but I'm still curious to see anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Any idea how to do that with google poll?

That is a really good idea...

Does the bgg have similar functionality for this sort of thing? I know it shows the data in real time, but I've got no idea how to use the data after...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
3D printing available for service at: http://www.3dhubs.com/los-angeles/hubs/martin-chino
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a 3 games to add in that I have played this year and kept records on.

I can fill out most of it but I also use my own variant facilities, Strategy Cards and pre-made maps setup. along with many variant planet tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sounds good, there's a text field where you can add that stuff.

Feedback on the form (e.g., would a tick box on "home brew" variants be helpful?) would be appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Phoenix
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I added another game via the form. I think I may have missed a game or two in the last couple months because this thread has not seen action in a while. Are you still watching this data?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I am, we're now at 18 games!

A serious shortcoming of this adventure is, as folks have noted above, the inability to immediately show the reader results. Does anyone know (links welcome!) how to get google polls to do that?

I do eventually plan on pasting some results back into the original post above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.