Popular Tags: complaint [+] [View All]
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
'First world problem' or some variation seems to pop up a bit these days.

I am sick of reading that phrase. It seems to always be used as way to disparage a poster or belittle an arugment and it never adds anthing to a conversation.

It's clever the first time one hears it and maybe thinks about their life a little bit. But the truth is that we live in the first world, and we sometimes have problems.

Letting people spam/troll/insult other users by pointing that out seems to be against the spirit of BGG forum rules.

Letting them do it in a way that can really only devolve into a political discussion also goes against the RSP guidelines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rank Zero
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's kind of ironic how that response could be appropriate in this thread too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
It's kind of ironic how that response could be appropriate in this thread too.

Heh.

I imagine someone could be thought of as clever by adding it to over 50 percent of the threads on this site!

And all it can start is an argument (not constructive) or a discussion about politics (possibly quite constructive, but not appropriate for the majority of threads on the site.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'd rather see it used than "Don't be a f'n moron, it doesn't matter", or "Grow up, A******".

I think its probably the politest way to point out that someone is doing the mountain molehill thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I think its probably the politest way to point out that someone is doing the mountain molehill thing.

The "first world problems" thing seems like a very snarky way to say it, i.e. "you're rich and spoiled and whiny and oblivious to the plight of people in poor countries who actually have real problems." I think there are surely more polite ways to say it.

That said, I can't imagine it would be good for BGG to start banning specific phrases like this that annoy some people. First they came for "first world problems", then "FTFY", then "TLDR", then ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Hyett
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Watching
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit that I don't get out much, nor do I do a whole lot of browsing around the threads on BGG unless it's specific game related, but I did happen to catch this thread. I've never even heard of the expression "first world problems". Can someone fill me in on the history of this crap and how it's being used and by whom? I'm kind of getting the impression that there are groups out there that think that all Americans are rich and without problems or something, and that we have no rights to express opinions. I'm not sure if I'm off base with that, but that's the impression I'm getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Edwards
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
When I get sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead, true story.
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsdown for that level of cencorship but big thumbsup for the thought. THe first world joke is obnoxious!

First world problems meme explained: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/first-world-problems
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Osprey wrote:
I have to admit that I don't get out much, nor do I do a whole lot of browsing around the threads on BGG unless it's specific game related, but I did happen to catch this thread. I've never even heard of the expression "first world problems". Can someone fill me in on the history of this crap and how it's being used and by whom? I'm kind of getting the impression that there are groups out there that think that all Americans are rich and without problems or something, and that we have no rights to express opinions. I'm not sure if I'm off base with that, but that's the impression I'm getting.

The phrase is generally used in response to things such as:

"What the hell!?! I was just hitting "reply" to a post when BGG went down, and now I lost my whole post!"

"Gah! I just bought a new iPhone, and now Apple just announced the iPhone mega-awesome XL version! What a bunch of crap!"

"Stupid internet! I had an Ebay auction I needed to bid on and the DNS just had to go down!"

Essentially, stuff that when you think about it, would be a rather laughable thing to complain about to a lot of people in the world. It's not saying people don't have real problems, it's just that a lot of things we complain about revolve around luxuries that many people wouldn't even dream of having.

Actually, I think Louis CK puts it pretty well:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

The "first world problems" thing seems like a very snarky way to say it, i.e. "you're rich and spoiled and whiny and oblivious to the plight of people in poor countries who actually have real problems." I think there are surely more polite ways to say it.

That said, I can't imagine it would be good for BGG to start banning specific phrases like this that annoy some people. First they came for "first world problems", then "FTFY", then "TLDR", then ...

They already ban me calling someone a troll, or posting the name of someone I block, both of which are pretty much forum specific ways to aggravate other users.

I don't know how you'd do it. I know you can't just make a list of phrases that people can and can't say.

However, if there were some guidelines, then mods would have something to look for when I flag certain posts for spam, trolling, rsp content, etc,.

Regardless of the snarky, annoying way someone trolls or insults someone, I'll still use the red X button.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pierce
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all banning specific phrases would accomplish is to force people to find other ways to express their feelings that would likely be both more wordy and less witty. Do you really want that?

Also, have you considered that sometimes a person's intent may not match your perception of their intent. It happens on the internets sometimes, I hear. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
'First World' has been out of use for at least two decades.

It wrongly presents a value judgement while omitting meaningful information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
scifiantihero wrote:
'First world problem' or some variation seems to pop up a bit these days.

I am sick of reading that phrase. It seems to always be used as way to disparage a poster or belittle an arugment and it never adds anthing to a conversation.

It's clever the first time one hears it and maybe thinks about their life a little bit. But the truth is that we live in the first world, and we sometimes have problems.

Letting people spam/troll/insult other users by pointing that out seems to be against the spirit of BGG forum rules.

Letting them do it in a way that can really only devolve into a political discussion also goes against the RSP guidelines.

I don't see it as spamming, trolling or insulting. Usually the context is clear that it's good-natured ribbing (often at oneself). I certainly wouldn't red-x someone for using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mero Babu
badge
Ashwin in Dorset
mbmbmbmbmb

No strong opinion on the OP but I do remember the line 'people are starving in Africa' never made my boiled cabbage at school taste any better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Oh no! I was going to go to the game store, but my Motherbox wouldn't open a boom tube. And then Darkseid used his omega beams on my copy of Alien Frontiers!"
"Fourth World problems, man. Fourth World problems."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Hyett
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Watching
mbmbmbmbmb
That's nothing man! There was some guy bitching about his iPhone app for Ticket To Ride wasn't working. I was in the middle of writing a blistering first world problem response to his crying, then my fucking laptop took a shit on me. I had to reboot it and everything. By then, I didn't even feel like using it to write anything I was so pissed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
for reference

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a site about premium boardgames - something that inhabitants of third world countries are not spending their money on.

'First world problem' would apply to pretty much any complaint about anything in any game thread on this site.

Of course a complaint about a premium boardgame is a first world problem. Premium boardgames themselves are a first world thing.

Stating it is a first world complaint is as smart and insightful as saying 'The sky is blue.' or 'Grass is green.'.

Anyone that wants to avoid people talking about first world problems should avoid BoardGameGeek entirely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
This is a site about premium boardgames - something that inhabitants of third world countries are not spending their money on.

I'm going to disagree with you, but to make this easier, could you define 'premium boardgame', justify the claim that this site is about those, and define 'third world country'.

Thanks,
B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:

Anyone that wants to avoid people talking about first world problems should avoid BoardGameGeek entirely.

Forgive me Evan I'm going to use your reply as a springboard for a more general remark:

Underlying this is an argument based on individuals' wealth/living standards and not on their location. There are plenty of people in underdeveloped nations who are vastly richer than I, likewise there are plenty of people in my developed nation who have no access to premium boardgames let alone the internet.

You're underlying assumption removes nuance from the situation excluding people on both sides of the line. These lines you draw separate and divide us while presenting false realities. There are plenty of users from newly developed, developing and underdeveloped countries, all whom share our love of boardgames, let's avoid saying things that stigmatises people based on which country they are from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canadian Dave
United States
Lehi
UT
flag msg tools
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mb
thepackrat wrote:
could you define 'premium boardgame'

I'd say War of the Ring Collector's Edition, CATAN 3D Collector's Edition, and some specially painted copies of Crokinole certainly qualify as the 'premium boardgames'.

I can't afford that premium stuff. But I do buy boardgames. ~Insert first world problems joke here~

It's just a meme. It'll pass. I've heard more Americans use it than anyone else anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
EvanMinn wrote:

Forgive me Evan I'm going to use your reply as a springboard for a more general remark:

Underlying this is an argument based on individuals' wealth/living standards and not on their location. There are plenty of people in underdeveloped nations who are vastly richer than I, likewise there are plenty of people in my developed nation who have no access to premium boardgames let alone the internet.

You're underlying assumption removes nuance from the situation excluding people on both sides of the line. These lines you draw separate and divide us while presenting false realities. There are plenty of users from newly developed, developing and underdeveloped countries, all whom share our love of boardgames, let's avoid saying things that stigmatises people based on which country they are from.

Blame the meme, not me.

You're pointing out the problem with the meme itself, not the the fact that it's generally accepted meaning applies to nearly all complaints here.

I didn't say I agreed with the underlying concept of the meme just pointed out that for those who do and use it, it applies to just about any complaint here. I never use it myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dblayton wrote:
thepackrat wrote:
could you define 'premium boardgame'

I'd say War of the Ring Collector's Edition, CATAN 3D Collector's Edition, and some specially painted copies of Crokinole certainly qualify as the 'premium boardgames'.

I can't afford that premium stuff. But I do buy boardgames. ~Insert first world problems joke here~

It's just a meme. It'll pass. I've heard more Americans use it than anyone else anyway.

To the average consumer, who buys there games at Target and Toys R Us, all these hobby games are premium games. Not only do the games often cost more than the $20-25 MSRP games at those stores, most of them you need to go to a specialty shop or online to get.

More $ + special effort = an extra premium the average consumer isn't going to pay, thus premium games.

But all that is semantics. Substitute any adjective you want that gets the point across that these are luxury items you have to be at or above a certain standard of living to be able to afford them as a hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Yeah. I personally find "FTFY" to be both more irritating and more pervasive than "first world problems", but I don't think they should ban it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:

To the average consumer, who buys there games at Target and Toys R Us, all these hobby games are premium games. Not only do the games often cost more than the $20-25 MSRP games at those stores, most of them you need to go to a specialty shop or online to get.

Do you realise that this is a US-centric view that really doesn't hold true through a lot of Europe?
Quote:

More $ + special effort = an extra premium the average consumer isn't going to pay, thus premium games.

But the 'average consumer' in countries where playing games with family is a well-established norm do buy a variety of these games.
Quote:

But all that is semantics. Substitute any adjective you want that gets the point across that these are luxury items you have to be at or above a certain standard of living to be able to afford them as a hobby.

But this site is about many different types of games, including dexterity and card games with a standard deck. There are entries for Go, for many related abstract games, for games in the chess family, for dominoes, or even various versions of draughts.

I've not seen any definition of 'third world' yet, but all these games are quite commonly played in many candidate countries, particularly when you look to Asia.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Westberg
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
russ wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

They already ban me calling someone a troll, or posting the name of someone I block, both of which are pretty much forum specific ways to aggravate other users.

I don't know how you'd do it. I know you can't just make a list of phrases that people can and can't say.

However, if there were some guidelines, then mods would have something to look for when I flag certain posts for spam, trolling, rsp content, etc,.

Regardless of the snarky, annoying way someone trolls or insults someone, I'll still use the red X button.

I'm honestly, seriously, trying to figure out if you realize that your very complaint could be leveled right back at you.

So often if someone says "first world problems!" it cues a half a dozen posts complaining about the phrase.

So if it's legitimate to ban or restrict the phrase "first world problems", I'm six times as sick of people b*tching about it, and we need to ban the complaining about of memes (which includes this post. See where I'm going?).

In all seriousness, if hearing a meme really grinds your gears that much, you might need to get out and be around annoying people more. There's billions of people out there, and 99% of us are annoying, and you will have to deal with us sooner or later. The interwebs gives us this impression that it's reasonable to surround ourselves with people who are *exactly* like us. It's easy to maintain a perfect comfort bubble online, which is not realistic or even particularly healthy psychologically.

And the amusing part of all this is that our ultra-comfort level, where any abrasion at all is intolerable, really *is* a "first world problem".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.