Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:
russ wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
I think its probably the politest way to point out that someone is doing the mountain molehill thing.

The "first world problems" thing seems like a very snarky way to say it, i.e. "you're rich and spoiled and whiny and oblivious to the plight of people in poor countries who actually have real problems." I think there are surely more polite ways to say it.

That said, I can't imagine it would be good for BGG to start banning specific phrases like this that annoy some people. First they came for "first world problems", then "FTFY", then "TLDR", then ...

They already ban me calling someone a troll, or posting the name of someone I block, both of which are pretty much forum specific ways to aggravate other users.

I don't know how you'd do it. I know you can't just make a list of phrases that people can and can't say.

However, if there were some guidelines, then mods would have something to look for when I flag certain posts for spam, trolling, rsp content, etc,.

Regardless of the snarky, annoying way someone trolls or insults someone, I'll still use the red X button.

I'm honestly, seriously, trying to figure out if you realize that your very complaint could be leveled right back at you.

So often if someone says "first world problems!" it cues a half a dozen posts complaining about the phrase.

So if it's legitimate to ban or restrict the phrase "first world problems", I'm six times as sick of people b*tching about it, and we need to ban the complaining about of memes (which includes this post. See where I'm going?).

In all seriousness, if hearing a meme really grinds your gears that much, you might need to get out and be around annoying people more. There's billions of people out there, and 99% of us are annoying, and you will have to deal with us sooner or later. The interwebs gives us this impression that it's reasonable to surround ourselves with people who are *exactly* like us. It's easy to maintain a perfect comfort bubble online, which is not realistic or even particularly healthy psychologically.

And the amusing part of all this is that our ultra-comfort level, where any abrasion at all is intolerable, really *is* a "first world problem".

Yes. Luckily for someone who wants to post a suggestion on improving some function of BGG, there is an appropriate forum for doing so!

And if one want's to argue with another user about the merits of his/her geo-political economic status, there is an appropriate forum for that as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
VolcanoLotus wrote:
russ wrote:
That said, I can't imagine it would be good for BGG to start banning specific phrases like this that annoy some people. First they came for "first world problems", then "FTFY", then "TLDR", then ...

Yeah. I personally find "FTFY" to be both more irritating and more pervasive than "first world problems", but I don't think they should ban it.

I'd be behind instructing users not to purposely misquote someone. That's more rude in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
But this site is about many different types of games, including dexterity and card games with a standard deck. There are entries for Go, for many related abstract games, for games in the chess family, for dominoes, or even various versions of draughts.

I've not seen any definition of 'third world' yet, but all these games are quite commonly played in many candidate countries, particularly when you look to Asia.

Sure it's difficult to precisely define 'third world' and in every country there are rich people and poor people etc, but I think the basic point was simply that anyone who's got access to the Internet and the means and knowledge and desire to use this site is obviously in a better economic position than many people in the world, probably not starving to death, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon M
United Kingdom
Hitchin
Herts
flag msg tools
"Though my problems are meaningless
That don't make them go away"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.