Subject: Is there a definitive New York games store? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
This flag is in honour of my dual-nationality son who will be living in Canada as of 25th July 2015 ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's all in the title isn't it?

We're visiting New York for my wife's birthday. Is there a store that's good enough for us to go out of our way for?

Thanks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Tassinari
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Compleat Strategist is the place. See this thread for more info.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8335750#8335750
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Roels
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, Compleat Strategist on east 33rd st. is where you want to go.

not sure if it's worth spending a lot of time at since you're visiting New York, pretty much a standard game store. There are probably other places you might want to spend your time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Tassinari
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only a couple of blocks from the Empire State Building, so not too far afield. And the prices might even seem reasonable to someone from the UK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There's difference between 'definitive' and 'only'. You really have no competition in NYC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
The B&Ns in Union Square and up on 86th and Lex are actually starting to get quite a solid selection of board games (especially the latter).

It's no Compleat Strategist, but at least it's some competition.

But to OP, definitely stop by CS. It's a sight to behold (so many games in such a small amount of floor space). The guys at the store are also nice - not in a go out of their way to help you way, but in a if you talk with them they'll actually converse and joke around with you type way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been going to the Strategist as a young boy. While it's a gaming landmark, it may not match your needs or expectations in any way. It's a tiny, crowded store where you might accidentally find any number of out-of-print products as current releases.

I love the place, but these days I much prefer a store like the FFG Event Center (www.ffgec.com) than the Strategist.

A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Smith
England
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
This flag is in honour of my dual-nationality son who will be living in Canada as of 25th July 2015 ...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help.

Very weirdly, our hotel is actually on East 33rd!!!

I guess I'll pop into the store then...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.