Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There must be something I'm misunderstanding about the Homeworld. The rules for Recruit and the Glossary both distinguish between Homeworld and Planet, so I'm assuming the Homeworld is not considered a planet. However if that is true then there doesn't seem to be any purpose for them beyond being the starting location for the first two ships? You can't build on it, mine on it, land on it or launch from it. You can recruit on it but that seems worthless because you can never pull troops off of it; at least as far as I'm understanding the rules. This can't be right so obviously I'm doing something wrong. The Homeworld must be a planet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rianane wrote:
There must be something I'm misunderstanding about the Homeworld. The rules for Recruit and the Glossary both distinguish between Homeworld and Planet, so I'm assuming the Homeworld is not considered a planet. However if that is true then there doesn't seem to be any purpose for them beyond being the starting location for the first two ships? You can't build on it, mine on it, land on it or launch from it. You can recruit on it but that seems worthless because you can never pull troops off of it; at least as far as I'm understanding the rules. This can't be right so obviously I'm doing something wrong. The Homeworld must be a planet.
The purpose of the homeworld is to be a place where you can always put units on the board. This prevents a player from being eliminated or completely frozen via blockades. Also I think you misread the rules because units on your homeworld can land and launch, you just can't land or launch from other's homeworlds.

It is distinct from a planet in that you can't build buildings on it, you can't mine on it, it provide no tech, it can't be blockaded, and it doesn't give you points at the end of the game.

Additionally it can be useful if it is the only planet you control in the area and want to expand or attack near it.

Edit: I just realized that some of the things I said are not explicitly in the rules. However, they are stated in the FAQ in the files section which was approved by the game's designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:
The purpose of the homeworld is to be a place where you can always put units on the board. This prevents a player from being eliminated or completely frozen via blockades. Also I think you misread the rules because units on your homeworld can land and launch, you just can't land or launch from other's homeworlds.

It is distinct from a planet in that you can't build buildings on it, you can't mine on it, it provide no tech, it can't be blockaded, and it doesn't give you points at the end of the game.

Additionally it can be useful if it is the only planet you control in the area and want to expand or attack near it.

Edit: I just realized that some of the things I said are not explicitly in the rules. However, they are stated in the FAQ in the files section which was approved by the game's designer.

Okay, that makes more sense. I'm guessing that the rule for Launch unintentionally omitted the Homeworld. I will check the FAQ. (Should have done that in the first place anyway ) Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ras2124 wrote:

Actually, I'm having a little trouble interpreting the FAQ as well, and I can't find any post where the game designer "approved" it. In fact, to the contrary there are at least 2 threads where he indicates that the FAQ is wrong. I'm going to post a seperate thread about the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sampson
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From FAQ file thread:
ihmcallister wrote:
The designer is aware of the family and helped me out with the first version of it.

Cheers

Iain
Since the FAQ is v0.1, I took it to mean the "first version."

From the FAQ: Homeworlds are not considered to be planets. Homeworlds cannot be mined, built on, attacked, or blockaded. The only two things homeworlds can be used for is recruiting troops on or launching starships from.

I guess the only thing I missed was that you can't land on them, but I think that is more to keep other players from landing there. Regardless, it is pretty clear that you can launch from them (assuming you believe it is official).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.