Subject: Recommended number of expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I know people are going to have different feelings about which expansions are best, and I can find this in other places.

What I am wondering is if buying more expansions continues to add to the enjoyment of the game, or if enjoyment plateaus or perhaps is even negatively effected by adding more expansions.

Reason I asked is I quickly grew bored of base set, but adding Seaside made it a lot more fun for me. In addition I have Prosperity and Intrigue.
I wonder if adding more expansions would continue to increase value of Dominion, if I have hit a plateau, or if at a certain point additional expansions could decrease the value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Riverside
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I stopped purchasing expansions at Prosperity. Up to that point, the additional expansions (for me) were just additional cards, but not necessarily MUST BUY sets.

I still play online at isentropic, and I have to say the newer sets definitely make it worth it. Cards in Cornucopia and Hinterlands can be combined with the not-so-great cards of the past to create some pretty amazing strategies. I think Rio Grande may have noticed that the cards needed to have better interaction between releases while still maintaining stand-alone capability.

I'm in the same position as you right now and I do want to add the newer expansions to my collection. I recommend you buy them, but only if you have the gamers to play with. Dominion is one of those fast games that you can get burnt out on fairly quickly if you play too much.

The game doesn't hit a plateau unless you are playing far too much, but that really applies to most games. If you play far too much, you'll probably get bored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ken.
I'm not sure how much I will be playing it. My regular board gaming friends aren't too excited about it, but I like that it gives me decisions while being more accessible to non-gamers than something like Caylus. Also it's something the wife is willing to play.
Right now it's my number one most played game though!

Right now I am pushing the boundaries of Consolidate Your Dominion - Card Organization System So that factors in my decision as well. It actually makes me a bit more excited about buying a smaller set since then I would have a better place to fit all the player boards and metal coins. Apparently they fit in there great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the variety the expansions bring, and having to adjust to different layouts; so I get every expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Riverside
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had originally purchased a 1600-card shoebox and custom made my dividers, but now it's full so I'd have to come up with another storage solution if I buy some more expansion. I don't think I want to spend a ton of time building something again. Perhaps I'd get one of those card-display binders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Ma! They done killed Rando!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the expansions for Dominion (and games like it, where the expansion doesn't add, but just replaces options) are fine.

Buy an expansion .... play it as much as you can stand. If you find that you still enjoy Dominion but the sets don't have a lot of new ideas, buy another. If you find you are burned out, stop buying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teddy Winand
United States
Lincoln Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think each expansion adds something different, I own them all and I think they are all completely worth it. My one regret was buying them too quickly. I'd recommend buying each expansion after you've gotten tired of the ones you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Riverside
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TMWinand wrote:
I think each expansion adds something different, I own them all and I think they are all completely worth it. My one regret was buying them too quickly. I'd recommend buying each expansion after you've gotten tired of the ones you have.
I definitely agree! I purchased Base, owned that for a while, and then purchased Prosperity. I owned Prosperity for only 3 days before I bought Seaside and Intrigue. I wish I would've waited longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
TMWinand wrote:
I definitely agree! I purchased Base, owned that for a while, and then purchased Prosperity. I owned Prosperity for only 3 days before I bought Seaside and Intrigue. I wish I would've waited longer.

Too late for me.
I think I played one set of Seaside before buying Intrigue, and did not play Intrigue at all before buying Prosperity. (Although I have played with Intrigue and Prosperity before at a gaming group).

Couple reasons:
1) Free shipping to spend a lot of money.
2) The Dominion storage solution I have basically requires four sets to function. Even at three there is a lot of open space.
3) I knew I wanted Intrigue for expanding to 5 and 6 players.
4) I knew I wanted Prosperity for it being fun.

I think I will wait to buy anymore if and when I grow bored of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Williams

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been extreemely pleased with the various nuances that the latest two expansions add to the mix. The Cornucopia theme is variety, and it really plays strongly with those cards. With Hinterlands, many cards do special things when you gain them or gain something, which also adds an entirely different level of play.

Interestingly, though Cornucopia only has 13 cards, many of them are already very highly rated by the regular online Dominion players. It's smaller and less expensive, but it really adds a lot to the game.

Personally I love each new expansion, and I can't wait for Dark Ages coming out in August. It apperrs it will have more than 40 new Kingdom cards to add to the mix, and we don't know the theme yet. Sounds great to me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions which enhance the base game:
* Prosperity
* Seaside

Expansions which change the base game:
* Hinterlands
* Conucopia
* Alchemy
* Intrigue

*All* of the expansions improve the base game. It's not like Magic where they have to print "staple" cards. IMO, Hinterlands has the most dramatic game change. Even two Hinterland cards can change a base game tableau.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
When I get sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead, true story.
mbmbmbmbmb
All of them have been worth it for me. I would say that each expansions has made a rather large change to the game. The small boxes contribute less simply because they are small and alchemy is definetaly my least favorite (still worth it though).

If you are a dominion fan then they are all worth it. If you are a gamer who likes to play dominion occasionally then maybe not...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arman Khodaei
United States
California
flag msg tools
I disagree with the post above. Cornucopia adds a lot to the game and has many amazing cards even though it is small.

The good things about the last two sets, Cornucopia and Hinterlands, is that they both have better interaction with other sets. With some of the older expansions, some of the cards don't play as nicely with other sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
When I get sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead, true story.
mbmbmbmbmb
BeyondAwesome wrote:
I disagree with the post above. Cornucopia adds a lot to the game and has many amazing cards even though it is small.

The good things about the last two sets, Cornucopia and Hinterlands, is that they both have better interaction with other sets. With some of the older expansions, some of the cards don't play as nicely with other sets.

I didn't mean to imply that cornacopia didn't add to the game. I would say that card for card it adds more than base, intrigue, and alchemy and may even be on par with seaside, prosperity, and hinterlands (or maybe just below those - I can't make up my mind on that)...

Regardless it is totally awesome and worth one's time and money!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.