$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Catan» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can your road go through another players settlement/city?--ANSWERED rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see anything in the rules addressing this question, so I assume you can, but I thought I would ask.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: Can your road go through another players settlement/city?
No, and in fact, if your opponent is able to place a settlement between two of your road pieces, it will actually sever your road into two separate segments, and could cause you to lose the Longest Road card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
but if your road is severed you can still build and add onto the severed segment since it is already past your opponents settlement. But you cannot build through an existing settlement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall that you are not able to do so because it no longer qualifies as a new road that can "connect to one of the player's existing roads, settlements, or cities" because it connects to an opponent's settlement/city instead. However, you may continue to build onto an existing road that gets interrupted by such a settlement/city.

But, yes, the rules are not explicit nor is the almanac. Have you tried the Mayfair FAQ?
[edit - I type way too slow]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
What the rules say is that "A new road must always connect to 1 of your existing roads, settlements, or cities."

What I think sometimes confuses people (you're not the first to raise this question) is that a road is only connected to another road if there is no settlement or city in between.

So if an intersection is empty, you can build the other side of it because you are connecting your road to your existing road. If the intersection contains one of your settlements, you can build a road the other side of it because you are connecting your road to your existing settlement (it is not connected to the existing road). However, if the intersection contains another player's settlement then you cannot build a road the other side of it because the road would be connected to their settlement and not one of yours.

Edit to add: this is explicitly answered in an FAQ at www.catan.com:

www.catan.com FAQ wrote:
Roads - Can the roads I build "go through" other players’ settlements and cities?

Answer
No. If you build a new road, it must always connect to one of your own roads, settlements, or cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies and the clarification. Thought I had missed something in the rules. Seems like the rules included with the 4th edition would include the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was going to ask the original question, and the following:
wizcreations wrote:
but if your road is severed you can still build and add onto the severed segment since it is already past your opponents settlement. But you cannot build through an existing settlement.

I wasn't clear as to whether this was correct from the thread, but I've just checked the FAQ (which isn't sensibly linkable) and found the following:

Catan FAQ wrote:
Longest Road - May I add individual road pieces to an interrupted (Longest) Road?
Yes. You can add individual road pieces as long as you have a settlement or city to connect them to.

So if you can follow the road back to one of your settlements/cities without passing through an opponent's city then you can extend the road. If not then you can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Rapp
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
zabdiel wrote:

So if you can follow the road back to one of your settlements/cities without passing through an opponent's city then you can extend the road. If not then you can't.

This is wrong!

Assume, you have built 3 roads from your settlement S:

S - R - R - R

Now another player builds a settlement X into your road:

S - R - R - X - R

Can you follow your road back to your own settlement? No!
Can you continue building your road? Yes!

S - R - R - X - R - R

This is legal, because the rule says, you have to build a new piece next to own of your already owned pieces. This hast to be taken literally.
Therefore, the above is legal. However, if the situation was different, like:

S - R - R - X

to build a road "beyond" X would not be legal, because you would not build a new piece next to one of your own pieces, but next to the piece of another player.

Where did you find this FAQ? Official Mayfair website states the opposite: http://mayfairgames.com/faq.php?game=55

"Can I build past another players settlement or city?

No. You cannot build through another players settlement/city. If your road is established before the settlement(i.e. a player builds in between your roads) you may then continue building on the other side of a players settlement."

Sebastian Rapp / Kosmos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.