Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Levi Pressnell
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after playing a single game of Risk: Legacy more than a month ago, I was unable to regather the troops for another session until today. As such, I'll have more trouble remembering the first game but will do what I can. I didn't write down turn-by-turn action for any of them, so all three are going to be pretty well "broad strokes" versions.

The first game involved 4 of us--I'd had a fifth agree to come, but he bailed on me pretty late. *sigh* This isn't actually unusual, though. I'd wanted a full contingent for our first game ever, but having sat on the game for the few weeks since Christmas I couldn't not play. The four of us, after much debate, settled on starting powers for each faction and added coins to 12 random territories.

Starting Powers List:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Imperial Balkania - round up for troop reinforcement
Khan Industries - add 1 to HQ territories
Enclave of the Bear - three-of-a-kind demolition derby
Saharan Republic - Manuever at any Time
Die Mechaniker - HQ as fortified

I was probably the most experienced of the group and had an idea of what to do, while Caleb and David are reasonably experienced board gamers. Ryan, our fourth, had never even heard of Risk until that night, so he was, unsurprisingly, the weakest link. I felt kind of bad for him as things went on, but I even offered to help him. The turn order, starting locations, and factions chosen were as follows:

Caleb - Saharan - E. United States
David - Die Mechaniker - Indonesia
Ryan - Enclave - Russia
Me (Levi) - Khan - E. Africa

Caleb began by trying to build up his strength in the Western Hemisphere, taking over South America and feeling out North America. David turtled in Australia (he says that's his thing to do), while Ryan spread out through Europe. I took over Africa and was able to battle into South America, denying Caleb his continent bonus. On the second turn, I fought my way into Central America, forever scarring it with an Ammo Shortage and greatly weakening the continent. Unfortunately, quarrels with Ryan around the Mediterranean kept me from holding Caleb out and he retook the continent. Ryan, meanwhile, muddled along, interfering with my continent bonus and fighting back and forth with David over his HQ in Russia. He placed a Bunker there to unsuccessfully hold onto it, and it probably ended up hurting him almost as much as it helped. David continued his build-up in Australia and Europe, and Caleb consolidated his hold on both American continents.

By the fourth turn of the game, I knew that if I didn't win that turn I wouldn't get another chance. I cashed in four cards for a Red Star and pondered. Ryan's HQ in Russia was nearby but had around five armies. David's HQ in Indonesia was as close with only two armies guarding it. He'd held onto his scar card, which I assumed was probably a Bunker, but I decided to make a break for it. Khan Industries took off through Asia without casualties and assaulted the islands of Indonesia. Sure enough, the Bunker came down, but his rolls were quite low and mine high. The Major City of Victory commemorated that blow over Die Mechaniker, and a couple of new cities in Russia and the E. United States took root (Ryan added a coin somewhere). Caleb likely would've won on his turn, as he had both American continents well-fortified, and David certainly would have (he had four cards and 3 HQs at the end of his fourth turn). The dice liked me enough, however, and I was first to sign the board.

Tonight was, in some ways, a similar story. I'd planned for more people to come and play games with my wife while others played Risk: Legacy, but some bailed at the last minute again. My wife Leisa and the semi-team of Bryant and Kathryn (he made all the decisions, really) joined David, Caleb, and me to see what further wars would shape our board. There weren't enough scar cards, so we didn't use any of those.

Caleb - Khan - W. United States
David - Balkania - Brazil
Me (Levi) - Die Mechaniker - Indonesia
Leisa - Saharan - N. Europe
Bryant - Enclave - Egypt

David turtled in S. America, I turtled in Australia, and the others spread out in their respective territories. Caleb and Leisa took much but not all of their continents, and Bryant grabbed all of Africa for his army. On the second round, David hit W. Africa while I broke into the lightly defended E. Africa for our first cards, which left him in a poor situation. Though he was able to retake the continent, it really wasn't to be: David won on the third turn by steamrolling through Egypt and N. Europe to take his third and fourth red stars. He founded a major city in Peru to commemorate his victory, and a host of minor cities cropped up across the board.

The game was too short for everyone's tastes, so we reset and pondered the first few packets. With only four minor cities left, we felt sure we'd open another packet at the end of the game--one way or another.

Bryant - Die Mechaniker - Brazil
David - Balkania - W. Australia
Caleb - Khan - S. Africa
Leisa - Saharan - Mongolia
Me (Levi) - Enclave - N. Europe

I hate going last, and I've decided I hate non-defensive factions in the middle of the board. David wanted to keep me from getting my Indonesian fortress, and I didn't have the heart to contest him. In contrast to our previous game, however, it was much more of a slogfest. Bryant and Caleb battled in Africa and South America while Bryant tried to expand into North America. Leisa spread out through Asia and concentrated on whittling me down, while David turtled in Australia and kept pressuring me and Caleb.

Caleb and I decided to be "friends forever," as neither of us had troops to fight the other. When he finally held Africa at the beginning of a turn thanks to David focusing on wiping me out (he wanted to open the "player eliminated" packet, I think), Caleb was able to cash in for some troops and break into Brazil thanks to poor rolling by Die Mechaniker. He then took Northern Europe from David. A Major City came down in Egypt, and the rest of the minor cities hit the board (the full list is Alaska, Greenland, E. United States, Scandinavia, Russia, China, E. Africa, New Guinea, and Southeast Asia). We have Major Cities in Peru, Egypt, and Indonesia, Bunkers in Russia and Indonesia, and an Ammo Shortage in Central America, which may more or less cripple the continent (people have been reluctant to try and take it).

We opened the cities packet and followed its instructions.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
There's stuff inside. It's a pretty thick packet.

Concluding thoughts:
The middle of the board is still horrible to try and hold. Even the bunker in Russia doesn't do much for it, though maybe with a Major City in Egypt we'll see Caleb make a better play for it. I think we still have a Bunker or two in the scar deck, which could shore it up a bit.

I figure I'll somehow get hurt by it, but I couldn't resist putting down a Major City in Indonesia with that Bunker there. It was too tempting. David moved me from it during the third game; I probably should've planted in SE Asia and contested it, as he lost troops due to taking the Major City there. Ah well.

The loss of the additional Red Star really hurts after you win one game. It's not hard at all to win a swift victory if you don't have your name on the board. If we'd been playing old Risk, I'd have been favored in the second game, but I didn't have a chance to do anything.

Khan Industries has won two of three. Balkania has the other one and yet hasn't even had its power come into play. Enclave seems the weak link, although Europe may have something to do with that.

Major Cities are all the rage with winners, but I'm thinking I should go for naming Australia next time. I'm not sure why a Major City is in Egypt, but Africa did more or less win him the game. I doubt next time people will let him hold it all, but we'll see.

Edit: And now for part two of our world-at-war. I'm going to be a bit more vague (if that's possible) just to make sure I don't accidentally spoil anything. When last we left, the games were tied at one win for each of our permanent players. Tonight would see the three of us and yet another new person (Jared) continue our struggles over the young world. We had already opened one pack; what wonders would await us throughout the new night's conflicts?

The first (fourth overall) game went relatively quickly. I took my place in Fort Australia (as I'm nicknaming it), David in Peru, Caleb in Great Britain, and Jared in North Africa. Despite his star advantage, Jared was worn down by conflict with me and Caleb, and I cruised to a relatively easy win more or less unmolested. It's strange, but I really don't remember much about this game. I suppose it took a more classic kind of approach, in that I was able to build up and then strike into Africa and Europe for the stars I needed. I harassed Africa for cards, eventually turned in a set, and took Great Britain and North Africa for the needed Headquarters. All in all a fairly quiet event. As a reward, I placed a Major City (Newbeary, yes I was the Enclave) in West Australia, ensuring that only one territory was even claimable for someone other than me and that Indonesia could not be blocked. Awesome, right? Actually no. Oh, and we opened a packet.

The next game was somewhat humorous. David, unwilling to concede the Australian territory to me, took position in E. Australia. Unfortunately for him, I went first and was able to wipe him out. Unfortunately unfortunately, Jared had placed his capital nearby and took over both of ours, giving him a win. (Caleb didn't even have a turn.) As his reward, he placed the final Major City and founded Nottingham in Madagascar. This put two Major Cities pretty close together and set the stage for what would be the final game of the evening. Because David and I were knocked out, we got to open a second packet on the night (up to three so far, if anyone's counting).

I've ruined Australia, I'll admit. David's setup was the same (into E. Australia), and not really wanting to guarantee us both a loss, I went into Alberta after Caleb and Jared claimed their Major Cities in Egypt and Madagascar.

So apparently the game can bog down once you get enough stuff on the board. Jared had no luck at all trying to push Caleb out of Africa; he was wiped out completely twice and had to keep rejoining the war. David secured Australia and kept trying for Asia. I had North America's bonus for only a single turn because David and Caleb allied against me. Caleb managed to grab all of Africa and keep pressure on me from South America, while David halfheartedly attacked me whenever I pushed into Asia. I managed to get a scar on Eastern Australia, which would've locked everyone else off the continent had it stayed. Jared's first rejoining came into neglected Europe, out of which Caleb pushed him. With the bonuses from two continents, he could (should, at least, barring terrible luck) have taken my capital and saved cards for a fourth Red Star. But he again (like in the first game) played too defensively, hoping to fortify his borders and build up an overwhelming force. The cards he was taking from Jared went to troops, not stars.

When Jared came back into Argentina and hit Caleb's exposed underbelly (North Africa and Western Europe). That more or less ended the game--Caleb tried to recover lost lands instead of making sure David wouldn't have the troop bonus from Asia and found himself steamrolled by Davidian reinforcements. He cashed in his cards for a star and took the other two headquarters for his second win. Caleb took issue with my assertion that he should have easily won (oh, trust me, he should have. He was taking cards from Jared and at one point had the troop bonus from two continents. He tried to defend them both instead of pushing into my territory), and David used his reward to cover up the Eastern Australian scar. *sigh*

Thoughts after 6 games:

I'm actually kind of disappointed we opened two packets tonight. I don't know why. It feels like the game's almost over, even though we've only played six. Is that weird? We're two-fifths through and halfway through the packets.

Australia is, truly, a mess. It's either a decent powerbase for someone (a good bit better for me, though definitely not an instant win button) or an almost automatic loss for at least one if not two people (if I plant there and someone contests it). I'm kind of thinking I should've spread out my Major Cities to give me more options, but oh well: I've made my bed and I'll have to learn to lie in it. It's somewhat ironic that by making it stronger I've actually made it weaker (as they, or at least David, won't just let me have it. Actually, he feels responsible for it because of the bunker).

We apparently hate the Northern Hemisphere. I mean, it really has little love, although North America's not a bad powerbase. If it weren't for A) David getting really lucky, B) the alliance made against me, and C) I could've claimed the troop bonus another round or two it would've been gravy. Sad day.

Once people get more missiles, games last a lot longer. It doesn't have anything to do with missiles, it's just the lack of the second Red Star.

I'm getting curious as to where certain things are, just because I know where they're not. I thought, for instance, a particular thing would be in a particular packet but it turned out not to be the case when we opened it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Pressnell
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've edited the initial post to include the first six games now. We played three more last night.

Advice on how to proceed from here would be appreciated. Should I just give up on Australia, or what? My group is convinced it's stronger than it is (the Australian turtle has won two games so far, but the latter of those was really all but given away by the African player). I think Africa is a much better pick in our world; I just don't have major cities there. NA would've worked all right in the last game if not for some bad luck and an alliance against me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just keep going. Abandoning several rounds worth of setup doesn't really make much sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Critical Geek

California
msg tools
If all the "green" scars have been placed, go look up the essen bonus packet spoilers and create yourself a set of bonus packet cards to add to your set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.